Liverpool Supporters Thread (Part 20)

Comments

• kobashi100kobashi100 Posts: 5,774
    Forum Member
    Xela M wrote: »
    I thought it's in his contract that he can top up his wages with good behaviour? (or something along those lines)

possibly bonus incentives although I think this would be more linked to his discipline on the pitch as he gets way too many yellow and red cards for a striker.

dont think there is any kind of clause that punishes him for bad behaviour though. that would be mental!
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Waheyyy! Welcome to Anfield you mad bastard!

Now if a premier league club could just take on Tim Sherwood. ..
  • Torch81Torch81 Posts: 15,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Once it gets confirmed Balotelli back in the premier league will be phenomenal! Love him or hate him the mans pure box office. As a neutral, its going to fascinating to see what Brendan Rogers can do and get out of him. I've always thought MB has the potential ability to be one of the best in the world, if, he keeps his head straight, his mind focussed and does what's required of him, can't want to see what happens. At the alleged price being paid this also has the potential to be one of the best signings ever.
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    U21s FT 1-1

Should have won that in the end.

McLaughlin has to get a decent quality loan this season, someone like Derby or Forrest - been great again bombing on.

Fine games for Ojo and Petersen. Rossiter got little time to impose himself at his usual level against some rather bigger lads, he's only lickle.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Torch81 wrote: »
    Once it gets confirmed Balotelli back in the premier league will be phenomenal! Love him or hate him the mans pure box office. As a neutral, its going to fascinating to see what Brendan Rogers can do and get out of him. I've always thought MB has the potential ability to be one of the best in the world, if, he keeps his head straight, his mind focussed and does what's required of him, can't want to see what happens. At the alleged price being paid this also has the potential to be one of the best signings ever.

That's the thing, whatever the opinion of people about Suarez, he's a big miss, Balotelli will fill that void.
  • daver34daver34 Posts: 825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's the thing, whatever the opinion of people about Suarez, he's a big miss, Balotelli will fill that void.

At least he might not bite people, cheap price for quality player.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    daver34 wrote: »
    At least he might not bite people, cheap price for quality player.

Jermaine Defoe bit people.

I meant that Suarez got people talking about him, whether good or bad. Balotelli is the same.
  • mikeydddmikeyddd Posts: 11,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Xela M wrote: »
    I thought it's in his contract that he can top up his wages with good behaviour? (or something along those lines)

BR said that the club has a code of conduct for players and officials the same as most other clubs
  • IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lawro2 wrote: »
    Forget SAS, the new strike force is gonna be BS.

Balotelli, when he's having a good day is one of the best strikers in the world, £16 million is an absolute bargain. However not too keen on the way he completely leaves the stadium when he is subbed off, as though he doesn't care about his team and the outcome of the game.

He's only had 1 of those hasn't he, during Euro 2012? He's definitely not done anything to turn around Milan's fortunes.

Liverpool have nothing to lose really, £16m isn't a big amount of money these days and Balotelli could live up to his alleged potential. However, I feel he's had enough time to prove himself and he hasn't. He's an average player with a bad attitude and Rodgers should have used the money to take a punt on another young striker or even put the £16m towards an offer for Bony.
  • Super Dog ManSuper Dog Man Posts: 4,810
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Balotelli and Sturridge for the same price as Lukaku, cheaper than Fellaini, half the price of a Torres and a third of a Suarez.

Brilliant business.
  • DandemDandem Posts: 13,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Steve McManaman on BT Sport has apparently said he would choose Danny Welbeck over Mario Ballotelli. The mind boggles.

Who'd have thought Mark Lawrensen would be the voice of reason? He's just been singing Ballotelli's praises on Football Focus :D
  • Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dandem wrote: »
    Steve McManaman on BT Sport has apparently said he would choose Danny Welbeck over Mario Ballotelli. The mind boggles.

*face palm* I would also choose a rusty Trabant over a new Ferrari.
  • TheSlothTheSloth Posts: 18,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dandem wrote: »

Who'd have thought Mark Lawrensen would be the voice of reason? He's just been singing Ballotelli's praises on Football Focus :D

United won't sell to a rival. Although I suspect Newcastle don't want Welbeck either... :D

To be fair, Welbeck appears to have all the attributes to be a decent striker but seems to always be on the periphery of games. A modern day Emile Heskey.

Balotelli will score goals, which is why £16m is a no-brainer. Tie risk is not a financial one, it's a footballing one - he could cost us a key game or two with silly red cards. As long as the games he wins for us outnumber those, it's a risk worth taking.
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so no good behaviour clause in his contract according to reports.
  • Assa2Assa2 Posts: 10,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Grouty wrote: »
    so no good behaviour clause in his contract according to reports.

Other than a standard clause to abide by the club's code of conduct which, after recent years and incidents, I suspect is rather more comprehensive than any other club's. I've heard it even covers which songs can be sung in the showers after a game! :)

So no, no special clauses and nor should there be.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Assa2 wrote: »
    Other than a standard clause to abide by the club's code of conduct which, after recent years and incidents, I suspect is rather more comprehensive than any other club's. I've heard it even covers which songs can be sung in the showers after a game! :)

So no, no special clauses and nor should there be.

I suspect it's incentives based around goals, staying on the pitch and yellow cards etc.

He's not a nasty person, he's just been petulant, so that hopefully suggests getting older and also being part of a more nurturing environment may reduce the risk. Keeping the smile on his face once he steps on to the pitch is probably the key :)
  • OrchideamOrchideam Posts: 5,482
    Forum Member
    As Marios agent said "Liverpool is Balotelli’s last chance at the highest level in football. It's make or break".

He's not a kid anymore, at 24 he should know he has just about 10 years left being a top level player, earning decent money. Time to stop playing up and really work at what he does best, I really think BR is the best that could happen for him, his agent has said he only approached Liverpool, no other team.
  • taurus_67taurus_67 Posts: 6,951
    Forum Member
    I keep hearing and reading we've signed Suarez's replacement, well apart from filling the void of favourite tabloid pantomime villain, we haven't really

I might just be being narrow minded, but I can't quite see Sturridge and Balotelli playing together as a 'partnership' (loosest sense of the word) in the 4411 diamond system. Even though with Suarez it wasn't exactly a striking 'partnership' either, Suarez had that work ethic that meant he was everywhere and contributing all over the pitch. Sturridge was left to do his own thing: find space and score goals.
    Mario is neither as good as Suarez and, more pointedly, he's a loner on the pitch. Suarez brought the best out of the rest of the team; with Mario the rest of the team have to bring the best out of him. In all honestly, as a player on the pitch, Sturridge is not that different, so I can see either player as the striker in the 433, but when it comes to the often used diamond it will be one or the other with either Sterling or Lallana playing off them.

I think it's good that we've signed a very good player because if Sturridge picked up another of his ankle injuries that puts him out for a month then we'd be in trouble. We're now well covered for that, but BR really has his hands full not only man-managing Mario, but using the right formation for the right game and keeping all those players happy with game-time. A defining season of BR's career.
  • SuperTed_SuperTed_ Posts: 164
    Forum Member
    I still remain unconvinced by his signing... Sorry...

I really hope he is awesome, but I'm not sure where he fits. Suarez and Sturridge worked well as they offered different things. You had Suarez and his ability to make anything happen and Sturridge who is a natural predator in front of goal (on top of everything else he offers)

With Balotelli I kinda feel we have two very similar strikers. Both of whom need to be the main man. I'm just not certain how that will line up.

I trust Rogers and he has often shown an ability to line up in ways I never expected, but this one really isn't sitting with me.

Time will tell obviously and I hope we'll see another moment of genius from Rogers!
  • posiepebblesposiepebbles Posts: 1,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    taurus_67 wrote: »
    I keep hearing and reading we've signed Suarez's replacement, well apart from filling the void of favourite tabloid pantomime villain, we haven't really

I might just be being narrow minded, but I can't quite see Sturridge and Balotelli playing together as a 'partnership' (loosest sense of the word) in the 4411 diamond system. Even though with Suarez it wasn't exactly a striking 'partnership' either, Suarez had that work ethic that meant he was everywhere and contributing all over the pitch. Sturridge was left to do his own thing: find space and score goals.
    Mario is neither as good as Suarez and, more pointedly, he's a loner on the pitch. Suarez brought the best out of the rest of the team; with Mario the rest of the team have to bring the best out of him. In all honestly, as a player on the pitch, Sturridge is not that different, so I can see either player as the striker in the 433, but when it comes to the often used diamond it will be one or the other with either Sterling or Lallana playing off them.

I think it's good that we've signed a very good player because if Sturridge picked up another of his ankle injuries that puts him out for a month then we'd be in trouble. We're now well covered for that, but BR really has his hands full not only man-managing Mario, but using the right formation for the right game and keeping all those players happy with game-time. A defining season of BR's career.

Agree with all of that, especially the BIB. My hope is that, having been sold for such a knock-down price it's almost a humiliation, MB might have finally realised that his woes aren't entirely to blame on everyone else and perhaps he might be ready to listen to someone a bit older and wiser. In which case, you couldn't do much better than BR.
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like Spurs are gona be ones to watch, absolutely tearing QPR apart, playing great, 3-0 up, could be looking at 6/7 :eek:
  • ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    Not sure battering a newly-promoted side at home early on in the season means much, especially when 'Arry "run about a bit" Redknapp is in charge. QPR's away form was pretty poor in the Championship so I imagine they'll take a few beatings on the road this season.
  • DandemDandem Posts: 13,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spurs still have a lot more to do to convince me they can rival us this season. QPR have been absolutely woeful.

If they can beat us next week, then I'll take them seriously. Right now, I still fancy us to be the favourites, even if we lose tomorrow night.
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    QPR have one weapon - Charlie Austin take him out and its a bunch of pensioners, misfires and mercenaries.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mike65 wrote: »
    QPR have one weapon - Charlie Austin take him out and its a bunch of pensioners, misfires and mercenaries.

They don't need Charlie Austin. They need Steve Austin.
This discussion has been closed.