Did the Time War Doctor blow up the TARDIS in series 5??

2»

Comments

• Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,940
    Forum Member
    sebbie3000 wrote: »
    According to Moff, it was the Silence, and was confirmed to be them. However, as it wasn't on-screen, he could well change that.
    But I sincerely doubt that.
    Me too.
    My main niggle is still that if the Silence did blow up the TARDIS, and the Doctor knew that, he seemed very little perturbed that they'd managed to infiltrate, control, and destroy something so supposedly impregnable!
    After all, if they could do it, so can others!
    Maybe he's changed the locks!
    :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dave-H wrote: »
    Me too.
    My niggle still is that if the Silence did blow up the TARDIS, and the Doctor knows that, he seems very little perturbed that they'd managed to infiltrate, control, and destroy something so supposedly impregnable!
    After all, if they could do it, so could others!

Ahh- one of the reasons why I believe that the way it was done was not at all by infiltrating the Tardis. It was down to being put in the Pandorica, so now that is gone along with the 'old universe' he's not go that to worry about, just about who did it, and why. (which he then do go on to investigate in series 6)
  • Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,940
    Forum Member
    Ahh- one of the reasons why I believe that the way it was done was not at all by infiltrating the Tardis. It was down to being put in the Pandorica, so now that is gone along with the 'old universe' he's not go that to worry about, just about who did it, and why. (which he then do go on to investigate in series 6)
    You could be right, I guess we'll never know.
    (I was editing my post while you were quoting it BTW, which is why it's now different!)
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    The Doctor said it to the alliance - how every sun everywhere would supernova if he was put in there- just before he was put in the pandorica. then in the next episode River and Amy talk to the Doctor about how he will cease to exist when he goes in.
    WHITE: The cracks in time are the work of the Doctor. It is confirmed.
    DOCTOR: No. no, no, not me, the Tardis. And I'm not in the Tardis, am I?
    WHITE: Only the Doctor can pilot the Tardis.
    DOCTOR: Please, listen to me!
    WHITE: You will be prevented.
    DOCTOR: Total event collapse! Every sun will supernova at every moment in history. The whole universe will never have existed. Please, listen to me!
    CYBERLEADER: Seal the Pandorica.
    DOCTOR: No! Please, listen to me! The Tardis is exploding right now and I'm the only one who can stop it! Listen to me!
    As the Doctor says, the TARDIS is already exploding. The reason that the explosion becomes catastrophic is that he's not there to prevent it or reverse it. We already know at this point, before the Doctor is put in, that the TARDIS was automatically pulled to Amy's house and prevented from leaving.
    I believe this is the other quote you're referring to:
    AMY: So, what happens here? Big Bang Two? What happens to us?
    RIVER: We all wake up where we ought to be. None of this ever happens and we don't remember it.
    AMY: River, tell me he comes back, too.
    RIVER: The Doctor will be the heart of the explosion.
    AMY: So?
    RIVER: So all the cracks in time will close, but he'll be on the wrong side, trapped in the never-space, the void between the worlds. All memory of him will be purged from the universe. He will never have been born. Now, please. He wants to talk to you before he goes.
    The Doctor is erased from existence because he's on the other side of the cracks, not because he's in the Pandorica. Just like Octavian's soldiers, just like Rory.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As the Doctor says, the TARDIS is already exploding. The reason that the explosion becomes catastrophic is that he's not there to prevent it or reverse it. We already know at this point, before the Doctor is put in, that the TARDIS was automatically pulled to Amy's house and prevented from leaving.
    I believe this is the other quote you're referring to:

The Doctor is erased from existence because he's on the other side of the cracks, not because he's in the Pandorica. Just like Octavian's soldiers, just like Rory.

The alliance thinks the Doctor caused the cracks. They put him in the pandorica, which (one way or another, either way, however you want to split it, either way etc. etc.) DOES in fact end up causing the cracks. You can either think of the Pandorica as a technological thing that is designed to do this, or as some kind of paradox thingamyjig that only exists in the first place because it's in the middle of this loop going on (Tardis causing cracks because of no Doctor there to stop it/there at all-> Cracks going throughout all time and space-> Alliance seeing cracks and finding out or being told [by silence?] it was the Doctor-> Putting Doctor in the pandorica->causes/leads to Tardis exploding)

The second bit you are saying- he is going to end up on the other/wrong side exactly because he's in the Pandorica.

I think it's just a case of I think this little theory works and some people don't. Whatever the result it's fun to talk about at least:) If the writers really do fill it all in then it should be exciting to watch, no matter how it turns out.
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    And that still doesn't explain why the TARDIS would blow up!

Closed circles of causality are fun and all - but you've got to join the circle, otherwise you may as well say A Wizard Did It.

The Pandorica doesn't remove anything from the universe. Amy was sealed in it, and her younger self was perfectly intact. And while the Doctor was sealed in it, his future self still existed in order to appear to Rory.
    The Doctor was only removed from the universe by being on the other side of the cracks.
  • allen_whoallen_who Posts: 2,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yay... we finally get to find out... ( the man himself says so... )

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01nwwtm