Options

Alternatives to Lindt Excellence 90% cocoa chocolate

Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,175
Forum Member
✭✭
It's the only chocolate I eat now, and I find any 85 and 86% bars to be too sugary for my tastes. I know Lindt do a 99% bar, but I've never seen it on sale anywhere around here, and it might be a bit extreme for my tastes anyway. I don't want to buy food online.

Are there any other 90% or higher cocoa content chocolate bars on sale in UK high street shops at a reasonable price (ie Lindt 90% is usually £1.85 for 100g)?

Comments

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nothing? Well, it looks as if I am doomed to consume Lindt 90% for my remaining days. It's a hard life......
  • Options
    Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
    Forum Member
    Nothing? Well, it looks as if I am doomed to consume Lindt 90% for my remaining days. It's a hard life......

lol.
    what is wrong the the Lindt 90% though? i always get it to make protein bars.

you could try a health food shop. but so far in supermarkets i have only seen the lindt 90% as the highest cocoa solid.

i would also advise against the 99% Lindt, i tried it, not only is it the same price but for only 50grams :o it also tastes horrendous and the texture is ghastly !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's nothing wrong with Lindt 90%. I just fancy trying some other 90% bars for a bit of variety.

EDIT Btw, has anyone noticed a difference in taste between the Lindt 90% bars manufactured in France and those manufactured in Germany?
  • Options
    farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aldi has 85% cocoa dark chocolate bars. "Moser Roth" I believe they are called. Very nice and not too expensive.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the reply, farmer bob. I find 85% bars too sugary now, though.

It's funny but...... For decades I ate the 'regular' chocolate on sale (eg Dairy Milk, Galaxy etc.). A few years ago I tried 70% cocoa bars, and soon only bought those. Then it was 85%. Now it's 90%. There's no going back! Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be any way to go forward, either.
  • Options
    farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's funny but...... For decades I ate the 'regular' chocolate on sale (eg Dairy Milk, Galaxy etc.). A few years ago I tried 70% cocoa bars, and soon only bought those. Then it was 85%. Now it's 90%. There's no going back! Unfortunatley, there doesn't appear to be any way to go forward, either.

Yep, tastes change.
    High cocoa dark chocolate is just lovely.
    Cheers :-)
  • Options
    Forum Member

It's funny but...... For decades I ate the 'regular' chocolate on sale (eg Dairy Milk, Galaxy etc.). A few years ago I tried 70% cocoa bars, and soon only bought those. Then it was 85%. Now it's 90%. There's no going back! Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be any way to go forward, either.

well you have made a change for the better health wise!
    Very Dark Chocolate is good for you, so many health benefits.

Moderation though of course :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks, cdtaylor_nats. They look a little extreme for my tastes, though. I tried Hotel Chocolat 100% cocoa a few years ago, and was nearly sick after the first piece. From Auro101's post, it sounds as if Lindt 99% is similarly awful.

Lindt 90% is 7% sugar. Something with a similar sugar content would be ideal.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love Co-op's Truly Irresistable 85% Fairtrade Ghana Dark Chocolate. The quality is amazing and it's only about 14g of sugar per 100g.

Is it true Lindt chocolate is dutched? That process removes the bitter taste of cocoa but strips it of vital antioxidants.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dutched? I don't know. If you find a link or two confirming that, I'd be interested in reading about it.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mmmm, Lindt.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Zotter do 100 percent cocoa content from Peru. No idea what it is like. 15 pounds for 5 bars. Only seen it on Amazon.
  • Options
    Roni_JRoni_J Posts: 925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Hotel Chocolat do 90% and 100% chocolate although they are a bit more pricey.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks. I had a look on Hotel Chocolat's website just then, and their 90% cocoa chocolate is priced at £3.75 for a 35g bar. It's really out of my price range. Lindt 90% is usually £1.85 for 100g (it's often on offer for £1.50 or less, though).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks. I had a look on Hotel Chocolat's website just then, and their 90% cocoa chocolate is priced at £3.75 for a 35g bar. It's really out of my price range. Lindt 90% is usually £1.85 for 100g (it's often on offer for £1.50 or less, though).

The prices for these other chocolates are utter madness >:(
    I have researched about the Lindt 90% and it does indeed use a process that which strips it of anti oxidents >:(

I wish I never looked in this thread lol.

I really wish green and blacks organic did a 90%. I worry about the sugar content of the 85%
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bet Aldi Choceur is right up there. Moser Roth already mentioned.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aura101 wrote: »
    The prices for these other chocolates are utter madness >:(
    I have researched about the Lindt 90% and it does indeed use a process that which strips it of anti oxidents >:(

I wish I never looked in this thread lol.

I really wish green and blacks organic did a 90%. I worry about the sugar content of the 85%

I don't buy chocolate for it antioxidants, i buy it because I like the taste.

Green and black is owned by Cadburys now, I used to buy it a fair bit before Cadburys took it over, i stopped after that, never had any since.