My 'New Who' Doctor Who gripes - just for fun

allen_whoallen_who Posts: 2,819
Forum Member
✭✭✭
As the titles says - just for fun.

Please feel free to add your own gripes. I'm not looking for anyone to debunk my gripes as they are MY gripes and will remain so, no matter what.

1. Utopia:- The doctor clearly mentions 'The Face of Boe' in front of Cptn Jack and he doesn't bat an eyelid, yet at the end of 'Last of Timelords', Cptn Jack professes that 'Face of Boe' is his nickname…

2. The Stolen Earth:- The earth is gone but the Tardis remains in the exact same spot. The implies the Tardis is immovable, yet in the previous story 'Turn Left' it was stated it was salvaged from underneath the Thames

3. The Sontaran Stratagem:- The Sontarans are a clone race ( always were ) yet the two lead Sontarans in this story look nothing like each other…

4. The Big Bang:- I'm not even going there.. pfffffft

5. The Angels take Manhatten:- If he can't land in New York then why can't the Doctor just land in New Jersey and get public transport to go and retrieve the Ponds?

6. Asylum of the Daleks:- Fact, Madness is mental disorder consisting of abnormal 'emotions' and behaviours. The Daleks have no emotions. Except they do now. They have madness in this story.

7. The Name of the Doctor:- So, what was it Clara actually did whilst inside the Docs time stream that actually that stopped the Great Intelligence??

8. The Night of the Doctor:- The sisters have the Elixir of Life. They should never age… It should be the same women ( modern day lookalikes obviously ) as in the story Brain of Morbius

9. The Time of the Doctor:- So we finally find out it was Madam Kovarian who was behind the Tardis blowing up. Yet it's also Madam Kovarian with the silence who have been trying to prevent the Doctor getting to Trensalor because he could speak through the cracks to give the timelords the thumbs up for a safe return. The cracks of course being the result of an exploding Tardis… Madam Kovarian you're an idiot - the maker of your own problems

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    allen_who wrote: »
    4. The Big Bang:- I'm not even going there.. pfffffft

I don't understand what's wrong with this episode? I think that everything in this episode was explained. Especially after Time of the Doctor.
    It's one of my favorite episodes. Very cleverly written timey wimey...
    5. The Angels take Manhatten:- If he can't land in New York then why can't the Doctor just land in New Jersey and get public transport to go and retrieve the Ponds?

I agree for this one. The same thing I was wondering after I watched this episode.
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't understand what's wrong with this episode? I think that everything in this episode was explained. Especially after Time of the Doctor.
    It's one of my favorite episodes. Very cleverly written timey wimey...

I agree. Best finale of New Who.

Anyway, it really irritates me that the Doctor seems to have spent almost half his life in his Matt Smith incarnation and most of that time took place in the space of 20 minutes in one episode as he spent at least 500 years on one Christmas-themed planet.
    It shouldn't really bother me, but it does...
  • bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The big bang made no sense and contradicted itself. Typical of the moffat era.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

3. The Sontaran Stratagem:- The Sontarans are a clone race ( always were ) yet the two lead Sontarans in this story look nothing like each other…

Easy to rule out.

They're not all the clone of one single Sontaran

6. Asylum of the Daleks:- Fact, Madness is mental disorder consisting of abnormal 'emotions' and behaviours. The Daleks have no emotions. Except they do now. They have madness in this story.

Actually I think you'll find the Daleks do have emotions! Fact!
    8. The Night of the Doctor:- The sisters have the Elixir of Life. They should never age… It should be the same women ( modern day lookalikes obviously ) as in the story Brain of Morbius

Only if you assume the Sisterhood where about 7 people
    9. The Time of the Doctor:- So we finally find out it was Madam Kovarian who was behind the Tardis blowing up. Yet it's also Madam Kovarian with the silence who have been trying to prevent the Doctor getting to Trensalor because he could speak through the cracks to give the timelords the thumbs up for a safe return. The cracks of course being the result of an exploding Tardis… Madam Kovarian you're an idiot - the maker of your own problems

Not a problem, it's an Ontological paradox
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The big bang made no sense and contradicted itself. Typical of the moffat era.

In what ways did it not make sense and contridict itself?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 254
    Forum Member

7. The Name of the Doctor:- So, what was it Clara actually did whilst inside the Docs time stream that actually that stopped the Great Intelligence??

I always wondered this. In my head it's Clara comically tackling GI to the ground just before the Doctor can turn his head and see them both...

But that can't be right x)
  • allen_whoallen_who Posts: 2,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Easy to rule out.

They're not all the clone of one single Sontaran

Actually I think you'll find the Daleks do have emotions! Fact!

Only if you assume the Sisterhood where about 7 people

Not a problem, it's an Ontological paradox

I take it you've never watched genesis of the daleks. .. and also an onthagonal blah blah blah. . Whaaaat ???
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I take it you've never watched genesis of the daleks. .. and also an onthagonal blah blah blah. . Whaaaat ???

Yes I have watched Genesis of the Daleks, but you clearly have not. They removed CERTAIN emotions, not all of them.

And an ontological paradox isn't that hard to understand - it's even easier to google!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll give the google search a miss.. blah... yeah seen genesis thirty odd times .. first when I was five.. your talkin #$@*
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll give the google search a miss.. blah... yeah seen genesis thirty odd times .. first when I was five.. your talkin #$@*

Yes because Daleks don't hate at all.....

Pretty sure their's evidence of Daleks still having fear too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes because Daleks don't hate at all.....

Pretty sure their's evidence of Daleks still having fear too.

Yes they're lovely and snuggly and hug soft toys and listen the miley cyrus music and have s club 7 posters on their bedroom walls and enjoy knitting
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes they're lovely and snuggly and hug soft toys and listen the miley cyrus music and have s club 7 posters on their bedroom walls and enjoy knitting

The quote from Genesis I was trying to rememeber is "removed emotions pertaining to weakness"
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lol at people still blaming Moffat for the fact they don't understand the Big Bang. It makes perfect beautiful sense and as per usual the criticisms of it should be turned on the critics themselves for their own shortcomings, not Moffats. This is a common problem among those who wish Doctor Who would return to simplistic easy to follow plots that are easily digestible while they wait to check their Lottery numbers. Thankfully Moffat dares to dream a bit bigger. Alot bigger. Its why hes showrunner and we aren't.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What twaddle .. removed all emotion except hate...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I completely understand the big bang.. I just find it a complete cop out from minute five to minute fourty five... utter insult to intellect
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I completely understand the big bang.. I just find it a complete cop out from minute five to minute fourty five... utter insult to intellect

whereas Journeys End is one for the true intellectuals.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whereas Journeys End is one for the true intellectuals.

It's alright... thats all. Good cliff hanger.. the earth towed on a rope makes me wince as does the tardis staying put whilst earth goes.. but if u follow dr who you have to let things slide to a degree.. its just when it contradicts itself ....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What twaddle .. removed all emotion except hate...

Yawn.....
  • Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TATM why didn't 11 just use rivers vortex manipulator to go and rescue or just visit the ponds ?.
  • bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its just that scene with the doctor escaping from the pandorica. It made no sense logically its like a scene had been cut out or something.
  • PiippPiipp Posts: 2,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    7 - Our Clara didn't do anything. She split into all these different Claras who all met the Doctor at different points in his life. Those Claras (probably) never came into contact with TGI. They just corrected the mistakes the Doctor would make because of TGI. Ie, TGI would have likely pointed the Doctor towards the wrong TARDIS; Clara pointed him back towards the right one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its just that scene with the doctor escaping from the pandorica. It made no sense logically its like a scene had been cut out or something.

It actually is perfectly logical.

Though I'm in agreement with anyone who thinks it was a bit too easy
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    People are going to still debunk your point, otherwise there's no point having them in a public forum.

Firstly, regarding the Pandorica:
    It actually is perfectly logical.

Though I'm in agreement with anyone who thinks it was a bit too easy.
    It was supposed to be easy. The only way dramatically, to escape an inescapable prison, is to undercut it.
    As has been said already, there are clone families and batches and strains - each one is identical to their predecessor, but they don't all have the same predecessor.
    The problem isn't the TARDIS, or about their location - it's the complex web of events tied to New York. All the events happening in or around New York are unstable.
    Behaviours, yes. Emotions, not really. Disordered behaviours cause disordered emotional reactions. For a Dalek, the emergence of happiness, or love, would be an emotional disorder.
    I think I'm right in saying that the Elixir gives them extended life, not immortality, and they could still die if not healed, just as normal.