Options

Petition for ITV to reair Londons Burning

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
Forum Member
Hello everyone I have started a petition for ITV to reair Londons Burning I would really appreciate it if you sign it thanks :)https://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/itv-reair-every-londons-burning-episode-including-the-movies-and-specials#

Comments

• Options
    paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    Hello everyone I have started a petition for ITV to reair Londons Burning I would really appreciate it if you sign it thanks :)https://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/itv-reair-every-londons-burning-episode-including-the-movies-and-specials#

Would it not be better for the likes of Netflix and/or Amazon Instant to show it. A company like ITV needs advertisers who are not going to pay for an old and now cancelled show - not on ITV1 anyway.

Gold is doing fairly well with The Bill.
  • Options
    stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This has been repeated on London Live the local TV channel for the city of London. But I agree that ITV could always show it on ITV 3 so the whole of the UK could see it again
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    Yup they could air it on ITV encore but if itv still doesnt want to air it after/if I get alot of people to sign it I will restart it directed to sony tv uk
  • Options
    aquasplash3aquasplash3 Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Or you could buy the DVD's.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think there are hundreds of shows that could be repeated instead of the same shows constantly over and over again. Why not give the likes of Only Fools & Horses, Dads Army, Columbo etc a break and air some of the shows that haven't seen the light of day in decades
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    stv viewer wrote: »
    This has been repeated on London Live the local TV channel for the city of London. But I agree that ITV could always show it on ITV 3 so the whole of the UK could see it again

2 hours of London's Burning a day for me over the last couple of weeks, shame it's been cut to ribbons to accommodate the adverts, sometimes cutting scenes/conversions that referred to later.

Earlier series on the weekends and a later series airing throughout the week.
  • Options
    Gripper StebsonGripper Stebson Posts: 1,441
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would be a good show to repeat one evening per week on the main ITV channel in a 10:35pm slot. Instead of the repeats of recent episodes of quiz shows and factual programmes they keep showing in this slot.

Up till a few years ago I was watching a re-run of the show via the DVD box sets. But only got as far as series 6. But haven't watched/re-watched series 7 onwards yet as series 7 onwards is very expensive. Series 7 currently on Amazon for £34.87! Series 8 on Amazon is £72.50 brand new! Will have to keep an eye out on Amazon and Ebay for cheaper copies.
  • Options
    RickyLeeds85RickyLeeds85 Posts: 11,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yup they could air it on ITV encore but if itv still doesnt want to air it after/if I get alot of people to sign it I will restart it directed to sony tv uk

Sony TV did show repeats of the final 2 series last year or the year before but dont seem to show them now. would prefer seeing earlier series and ITV Encore would be perfect imo.
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sony TV did show repeats of the final 2 series last year or the year before but dont seem to show them now. would prefer seeing earlier series and ITV Encore would be perfect imo.

Great put it on ITV Encore so the rest of us cannot see it try itv 3 where we can. >:(
  • Options
    james_W85james_W85 Posts: 4,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd much rather they make a new series with new characters it was a great show back in it's day
  • Options
    c0boc0bo Posts: 6,472
    Forum Member
    james_W85 wrote: »
    I'd much rather they make a new series with new characters it was a great show back in it's day

I agree they should bring back London's Burning.
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The did on Sky a few months ago just under a different name.
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pjw1985 wrote: »
    I think there are hundreds of shows that could be repeated instead of the same shows constantly over and over again. Why not give the likes of Only Fools & Horses, Dads Army, Columbo etc a break and air some of the shows that haven't seen the light of day in decades

I was thinking just the very thing last night. It's crazy channels like Gold play knackered out shows like OFAH & Porridge seemingly hourly and daily yet some shows are lucky to be repeated once a year!

Showing hours of Porridge yet again last night is just so lazy!!
  • Options
    malcy30malcy30 Posts: 7,177
    Forum Member
    I was surprised that some of the more minor entertainment channels on Sky have been showing various ITV shows in recent years like London's Burning, Soldier Soldier and The Knock.
    In addition to cuts for content many violence as they show throughout the day, the big problem as said above is the cuts for length. On ITV this shows would run 50 minutes plus in the hour, but these days satellite TV channels only want between 40 and 45 minutes of actual programming an hour.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    steveh31 wrote: »
    The did on Sky a few months ago just under a different name.

You tried this idea a few months back and looked silly then, with FM's cracking the funnies, now you're trying it again?
    London + Fire Brigade ≠ Londons Burning.
    The Smoke wasn't like London's burning and you'd know that if you'd watched it rather than create wrong headed accusatory threads, with guff about possible legal action before it had aired.

The program has been canned anyway, so give it rest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    80sfan wrote: »
    I was thinking just the very thing last night. It's crazy channels like Gold play knackered out shows like OFAH & Porridge seemingly hourly and daily yet some shows are lucky to be repeated once a year!

Showing hours of Porridge yet again last night is just so lazy!!

Well, lots of us don't have Gold, so they can repeat whatever they like on a loop we're not bothered :)

That said, I have downloaded a load of Public Eye which was grabbed off Gold (it's got the Dog) I missed it the first time round, and it's a cracking series.
    I'll have to buy the DVD's at some point, to complete the collection.
  • Options
    Forum Member

A nice limited run of 13 or something would do, with new characters, long enough to recoup the investment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think London's Burning was great in its first few years, it was must viewing on Sunday nights.

The rot set in when the better characters started leaving and LWT clearly cut the budget for the show - less expensive action scenes, more 'soap style' storylines. By the end you felt the show had outstayed its welcome by a few years.

I don't think they should try to resurrect it personally
  • Options
    Forum Member
    malcy30 wrote: »
    I was surprised that some of the more minor entertainment channels on Sky have been showing various ITV shows in recent years like London's Burning, Soldier Soldier and The Knock.
    In addition to cuts for content many violence as they show throughout the day, the big problem as said above is the cuts for length. On ITV this shows would run 50 minutes plus in the hour, but these days satellite TV channels only want between 40 and 45 minutes of actual programming an hour.

It's been chopped about on London Live and not very well IMO, and that's from someone who doesn't remember every scene and storyline like some people on here.
  • Options
    Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,406
    Forum Member
    Depends who owns the rights these days as to whether it can be shown.

From wikipedia:
    The London's Burning theme used between Series 1–10 was composed by Simon Brint and Roddy Matthews. Series 11–13 used a theme composed by Warren Bennett (son of The Shadows drummer Brian Bennett); revamped opening titles created by Capital FX were introduced. The theme tune and opening titles were updated again for Series 14. The titles were made to fit the look ITV were giving to shows at the time. The theme was produced by Mcasso.

Simon Brint (who played one half of Raw Sex on French & Saunders) died in 2011, so it is possible that music rights may be a lot more complicated.

QI cannot be shown in the USA due to the pictures that appear behind the panellists during the programme, and the question over who owns the rights to said images.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The Brint version is been aired on London Live, well it is according to the titles.
    Sidney Tate is still Station Officer at the weekend repeats, Nick is Station Officer during the week, not sure what point that is in the series.
  • Options
    Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,406
    Forum Member
    The Brint version is been aired on London Live, well it is according to the titles.
    Sidney Tate is still Station Officer at the weekend repeats, Nick is Station Officer during the week, not sure what point that is in the series.

London Live might be able to afford to buy the rights as they are "local".

The Professionals was shown on Gold etc when Martin Shaw was supposed to have embargoed repeats on "network" Television.
    IIRC his objections were not artistic - ITV was only offering a pittance to show repeats which would have got big audiences, but he had less objection to a small satellite channel showing it.

Franc Roddam created Auf Wiedersehen Pet, so he ended up with the rights, thus allowing for the BBC sequels to go ahead years later
    Jack Rosenthal created London's Burning so presumably his family might have some control over broadcast rights etc (Maureen Lipman)

These things are mired in legal stuff sometimes.

The BBC do not own the rights to a lot of the Dr Who monsters like the Daleks and Cybermen, they are still owned by / or the estates of, the original scriptwriters.
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Up till a few years ago I was watching a re-run of the show via the DVD box sets. But only got as far as series 6. But haven't watched/re-watched series 7 onwards yet as series 7 onwards is very expensive. Series 7 currently on Amazon for £34.87! Series 8 on Amazon is £72.50 brand new! Will have to keep an eye out on Amazon and Ebay for cheaper copies.

Series 1-7 currently @£56 and series 8-14 @£77 both from Amazon marketplace sellers or £48 and £54 respectively from the manufacturer, Network. You`ll get them even cheaper if you wait for one of their %off sales.
  • Options
    Barry_SimBarry_Sim Posts: 179
    Forum Member
    Said on many a London's Burning themed thread on here, ITV would have very little interest in repeating the Show on any of their platforms and I am saying this as a massive fan of the show with every episode on DVD!

The reason why I do not know, maybe it is a rights issue or maybe it is just the fact that ITV really do not think there is an audience for it in any shape or form which I personally think is wrong because there probably is an audience.

Said, on here too, many a time, put the first ever episode of the show on, the Movie/Pilot and see the reaction it would get, maybe nearly 28 years old but a lot of the themes explored in that episode and early episodes that followed would probably still resonate and ring true in todays terms.

The Ironic thing is since 2002 when it was axed ITV have been looking for something as good and successful as London''s Burning when really, what they needed was under their noses if they had been a bit more sensible. Sunday Night 9pm you knew it was time for London's Burning, it was viewing by appointment, that last bit of escapsim into another "real" world before you got up on Monday for work and School, it gave you something to talk about during the day.

It would be great to see it back on mainstram TV even in repeat form but sadly, in terms of ITV, it is a part of their past they just will not hark back to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Barry_Sim wrote: »

It would be great to see it back on mainstram TV even in repeat form but sadly, in terms of ITV, it is a part of their past they just will not hark back to.

I think the issue is the cost!

Why spend so much making an hour of decent action drama, when you can constantly show hours of Emmerdale, Coronation Street and Simon Cowell week after week for a fraction of the cost?

ITV is about shareholders, not viewers