• Pet MonkeyPet Monkey Posts: 11,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^
    Seconded
  • skteoskskteosk Posts: 19,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So...Rita didn't get the job but she'll probably get it in a few months? Okay, I'll buy it for now, at least Tess pointed out her faults. The patient storyline was kind of spoiled by far too many instances of Rita jumping to conclusions, getting judgemental and aggressive with someone, and being proved annoyingly right against all reason. The thing with her and Ash just seems to have sprung up out of nowhere over the last couple of episodes.

Lily was annoyingly dismissive again but eventually realised there might be something wrong with her patient. Her hapless attempt at supporting Rita was mildly amusing. Vampire guy and clumsy woman did actually make a rather sweet couple, Lily's comment on them was halfway between being funny and being another sign she's into eugenics. The kids were actually good fun.

Is Cal actually going to get somewhere with Connie? She was flirty with him in a way she normally reserves for Guy. Ethan and Lily taking their glasses off simultaneously raised a smile. If he knew Cal was snooping around, why did Ethan leave his laptop in the staffroom, turned on with his proposal open? (It's one of these occasions when scriptwriters treat computers like they're the same as a piece of paper and write the scene the same way they would have done in the 80s. 20th century ended, fellas! Learn a new trick!)

I was expecting Samantha to be pushed aside if the Jeff/Tamzin thing happened but instead, with that guy watching them, it looks like there might actually be something up with her. Husband hidden away?

Felt odd that Fletch got mentioned without any indication he's back working in the hospital.

Zoe looking around Max's room as if she'd have preferred the cupboard was quite amusing, but she's stayed over with him before, why's she getting all snobby now?
  • TellystarTellystar Posts: 12,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    aboycey wrote: »
    I agree I think they're quite cute together, nice bit of lightheartedness too

Totally unprofessional to act like that at work.
    They would never have been able to keep it a secret.
    In reality she would have been disciplined or sacked.
    I hate to see her puffing **** in full view of the public, as well.
  • Sara_PittSara_Pitt Posts: 114
    Forum Member
    It seems this week's episode on iPlayer is only 14 minutes long - the first 14 minutes. Does anyone know where the rest of it is/how we can watch the full episode? I tried downloading it from iPlayer and the d/l version is only 14 mins too.
  • Gwen_PYCGwen_PYC Posts: 2,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tellystar wrote: »

If this was real life, everyone on Casualty and Holby would be sacked because they all behave unprofessionally one time or the other so it will be a entertaining tv show.
    Does this have to be to posted onto every thread after every single episode? I don't know how people can watch these shows and enjoy them without accepting this premise as a given
  • hmeisterhmeister Posts: 2,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tellystar wrote: »

It's only a TV show;-)
  • RickyLeeds85RickyLeeds85 Posts: 11,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really liked this episode, really funny with the kids and the vampire guy

Not sure if she is liked here but I am really despising Rita, hope the character leaves soon

Have you read Erikka Hosingtons producer interview on DS posted earlier today? according to that Rita is going no where as she has big plans for her.

I don't think Rita will get promoted at all as Tess said the position is frozen for 2 months and in the producer interview Erikka said that a familiar face returns in October but they are not saying who so 2 months from now is October so my theory is the returnee will get the Job.

i like Rita and felt sorry for her tonight especially when Robyn barged into Lofty and made him drop the papers yet Rita apologised to him?

Patient storylines were pretty good imo and interesting to see who is following Jeff and Samantha.
  • Tanith PanicTanith Panic Posts: 2,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hooray, I've finally found some people who don't like Lofty as a nickname either. He'll always be Ben to me.
  • Gwaed WaedlydGwaed Waedlyd Posts: 5,401
    Forum Member
    Have you read Erikka Hosingtons producer interview on DS posted earlier today? according to that Rita is going no where as she has big plans for her.

I don't think Rita will get promoted at all as Tess said the position is frozen for 2 months and in the producer interview Erikka said that a familiar face returns in October but they are not saying who so 2 months from now is October so my theory is the returnee will get the Job.

i like Rita and felt sorry for her tonight especially when Robyn barged into Lofty and made him drop the papers yet Rita apologised to him?

Patient storylines were pretty good imo and interesting to see who is following Jeff and Samantha.

No I have not seen it yet so will read soon.

I just don't like how self righteous Rita comes across in the show, hopefully this storyline you are talking about makes her more likable
  • qwerty21qwerty21 Posts: 294
    Forum Member
    As someone (can't remember who sorry) mentioned above the kids storyline was very similar to the obese man storyline. All very Boo Radley and a bit irritating for me.

Where on earth the Ash & Rita friendship has came from is anyones guess. It kind of shows how in the background Rita has been, they need to create a friendship for her when she is going through tough times. I also think Chloe Howman is not a great actress. Rita is just shrill and judgemental and difficult to sympathise with.

If Rita had been missing for even 2 episodes, the cold shoulder she was given by her colleagues would have been a bit more notable. Robyn didn't cover herself in glory.

Lofty I am enjoying, his camaraderie with Max and Robyn is good and he is good with the patients, could yet prove to be a good addition.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member

My guess is it his her ex husband
  • JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone know the ratings for last night. DS seem to have missed it out on their Saturday ratings round-up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    Gwen_PYC wrote: »
    If this was real life, everyone on Casualty and Holby would be sacked because they all behave unprofessionally one time or the other so it will be a entertaining tv show.
    Does this have to be to posted onto every thread after every single episode?

There's willing suspension of disbelief, accepting that certain dramatic tropes must be present in order for the premise to function as a drama, including situations and events that would be unlikely to happen in real life, but there must be a basic foundation of believability within the setting from which such disbelief can be suspended...

Continually pulling on that disbelief by ignoring things such as professional ethics, patient confidentiality etc. increases general disbelief in the setting and makes it more of a conscious effort to ignore that this is a fictional world, albeit set in the real world.

The problem is that eventually things like the continual lack of consequences for unprofessional behavior become as fantastical as things like actual magic would be, and end up being just as immersion breaking...
  • MorgsieMorgsie Posts: 16,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We all know this is going to happen but when, Connie and Cal?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lucien_Di wrote: »
    There's willing suspension of disbelief, accepting that certain dramatic tropes must be present in order for the premise to function as a drama, including situations and events that would be unlikely to happen in real life, but there must be a basic foundation of believability within the setting from which such disbelief can be suspended...

Continually pulling on that disbelief by ignoring things such as professional ethics, patient confidentiality etc. increases general disbelief in the setting and makes it more of a conscious effort to ignore that this is a fictional world, albeit set in the real world.

The problem is that eventually things like the continual lack of consequences for unprofessional behavior become as fantastical as things like actual magic would be, and end up being just as immersion breaking...

Exactly. David Brent eventually gets sacked and believability returns to the office. From time to time on this thread someone will lament that there hasn't been a character death for many weeks or months but most of us would be satisfied by a good old firing. Two birds: one stone. Rita* gone, believability restored.

* for example. But you could add Lofty/ginger girl/that bloke from upstairs who perpetually appears in dark smoke and cackles etc, whoever is most 'immersion breaking'. To satisfy the dramatic tropes alongside the believability rule, Connie would be a terrific candidate. On reflection, they missed a trick in letting Fletch walk. He was Rita-standard bad and eminently sackable
    Morgsie wrote: »
    We all know this is going to happen but when, Connie and Cal?

I fear you're correct. That cupboard is going to need a right good airing
  • desperate housedesperate house Posts: 3,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not missing Fletch, saw him in Holby on Tuesday, playing exactly the same person, old g/f on the same ward this time. Wish the writers would stop writing him as some babe magnet. He is well past his fanciability sell by date. Still, I bet he will be at it asap!

Cannot stand that ginger woman, Robyn. Unprofessional, nosy, gosspiing, gobby, holier than thou attitude. She is the most irritating character in the show, even more irritating that "look at me" Cal!
  • MorgsieMorgsie Posts: 16,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Am I the only who thinks Rita is going to develop a drink problem?
  • GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They seemed to have bagged some dodgy actors for the medical storylines this week. Enjoyed Max and Zoe's banter, although I think the writing is on the wall for them. Cal's evilness hit new levels.

All in all, not a standout episode for me - the medical storylines irritated me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They seemed to have bagged some dodgy actors for the medical storylines this week. Enjoyed Max and Zoe's banter, although I think the writing is on the wall for them. Cal's evilness hit new levels.

All in all, not a standout episode for me - the medical storylines irritated me.

I really can't tell with Cal whether he's using Ethan's blood idea to get Connie to flirt with him or to further his career. He might yet decide if he gets the one his brother can have the other. I think we're meant to see him as a low snake at this point (cheating at chess, at life, stealing from his brother, using shortcuts with his career and being slimy with his boss etc etc) but all that makes me expect a turnaround soon (because it's SoapLand), plus I don't see him as a thoroughgoing bad lad. It's more that he likes to play at things and will take the easy way if it presents itself. Dunno though. Neither would surprise me at this stage.

I loved the vampyre stuff, though hammy as hell :D
    Kids were ace
  • Slow_LorisSlow_Loris Posts: 24,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lofty really is a nothing character, he is pretty pointless although they seem to be developing his character as being useless/always late etc which seems odd. Stunt casting?..... And now they seem to be putting him in to a band which will lead to the inevitable ".....ooooo you can sing Lofty, why not sing at the Xmas/new year/ whatever party" CRINGE!!!!!!! (I still have nightmares about that blinking receptionist from years ago who suddenly started singing in nearly every episode and was pretty dire)

The end scene with Rita reminded me of that nurse Kelly from the early 90's who ended up committing suicide.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pet Monkey wrote: »
    I really can't tell with Cal whether he's using Ethan's blood idea to get Connie to flirt with him or to further his career. He might yet decide if he gets the one his brother can have the other. I think we're meant to see him as a low snake at this point (cheating at chess, at life, stealing from his brother, using shortcuts with his career and being slimy with his boss etc etc) but all that makes me expect a turnaround soon (because it's SoapLand), plus I don't see him as a thoroughgoing bad lad. It's more that he likes to play at things and will take the easy way if it presents itself. Dunno though. Neither would surprise me at this stage.

I loved the vampyre stuff, though hammy as hell :D
    Kids were ace

Very true! He'll have some epiphany sooner or later - something will happen to Ethan or he'll get his fingers burned with Connie or something. I actually really like the Ethan/Cal dynamic, don't think they use it enough.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gilesb wrote: »
    Lofty really is a nothing character, he is pretty pointless although they seem to be developing his character as being useless/always late etc which seems odd. Stunt casting?..... And now they seem to be putting him in to a band which will lead to the inevitable ".....ooooo you can sing Lofty, why not sing at the Xmas/new year/ whatever party" CRINGE!!!!!!! (I still have nightmares about that blinking receptionist from years ago who suddenly started singing in nearly every episode and was pretty dire)

The end scene with Rita reminded me of that nurse Kelly from the early 90's who ended up committing suicide.

Amy! Then they released Everlasting Love and the cast were on Top of the Pops.

Yeah, we don't need a repeat of that :D
  • nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    Amy! Then they released Everlasting Love and the cast were on Top of the Pops.

Yeah, we don't need a repeat of that :D

I don't know if you've seen Rebecca Wheatley recently - she's lost an absolute shed load of weight!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nick202 wrote: »
    I don't know if you've seen Rebecca Wheatley recently - she's lost an absolute shed load of weight!

I googled her to check I'd got the character name right - she really has! She looks amazing, like a different person.
  • MavisConsuelaMavisConsuela Posts: 1,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I googled her to check I'd got the character name right - she really has! She looks amazing, like a different person.

I looked her up on Wikipedia and couldn't help but laugh at this little entry,

'On 30 January 2014, she incorrectly stated on The Wright Stuff that homosexuality is banned in Australia.'
This discussion has been closed.