Zoe Quinn and the corruption in video games media/journalism....

NefratiNefrati Posts: 558
Forum Member
✭✭
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5-51PfwI3M&list=UUWB0dvorHvkQlgfGGJR2yxQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKmy5OKg6lo&list=UUWB0dvorHvkQlgfGGJR2yxQ

looks like internet aristocrat tore them a new one.

Its been a long time coming since these people have been manipulating the games media for profit and censorship for years now.

Comments

• HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't even understand but this seems to be people with too much time on their hands complaining about other people with too much time on their hands? :confused:

I really don't get it.

There's lots wrong with copyright and IP, but this video doesn't address anything relevant.
  • NefratiNefrati Posts: 558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    I don't even understand but this seems to be people with too much time on their hands complaining about other people with too much time on their hands? :confused:

I really don't get it.

There's lots wrong with copyright and IP, but this video doesn't address anything relevant.

No this is an issue that has been going on for years now. There is a corrupt and insular culture in games media which would make your head spin if it were found in the regular media. Imagine if almost every channel on tv were Fox News. Imagine if they had the power to control the narrative, to the point where they had people on reddit and other sites to do their bidding, deleting anything they found inconvenient. If someone criticized say, sarah palin, the entire group would circle the wagons, label every person who dared say anything against sarah as misogynist, and then outright dismiss their arguments and criticisms, then they'd proceed to "cleanse" the internet of evidence and discussion, full suppression and censorship, from dmca's to sympathetic reddit moderators deleting tens of thousands of comments....

Thats the current world of "games journalism". its really an ugly place.

And its relevant because its a huge industry now. The conflicts of interest allow for manipulation and corruption.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nefrati wrote: »
    There is a corrupt and insular culture in games media which would make your head spin if it were found in the regular media.

I can assure you the regular media is just as, if not more corrupt.
    Imagine if almost every channel on tv were Fox News.

Not hard to imagine with our lack of media plurality.
    Imagine if they had the power to control the narrative, to the point where they had people on reddit and other sites to do their bidding.

Replace 'reddit' with 'The Mail Online' and I can assure you this is already the case for the media in general.
    Thats the current world of "games journalism". its really an ugly place.
    And its relevant because its a huge industry now. The conflicts of interest allow for manipulation and corruption.

Congratulations on describing all media and most journalism, not just that to do with 'games'.

Is your post deliberate satire? :confused:

Or are you that disconnected from the rest of the world? (as I've found a lot of gamers to be)
  • NefratiNefrati Posts: 558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can assure you the regular media is just as, if not more corrupt.

Not hard to imagine with our lack of media plurality.

Replace 'reddit' with 'The Mail Online' and I can assure you this is already the case for the media in general.

Congratulations on describing all media and most journalism, not just that to do with 'games'.

Is your post deliberate satire? :confused:

Or are you that disconnected from the rest of the world? (as I've found a lot of gamers to be)

The regular media is corrupt, I didn't say it wasn't. I'm just saying the games media is that much worse. Just realize for a second that games "journalists" basically live off the advertising from the very same companies they have to talk about and review products from. It was always rather shaky, this idea of "games journalism", but at least when it was in print, the social aspect just wasn't there. Now its become infected with the gawker/daily mail type of business model, and any remaining shred of journalistic ethics has gone straight out the door.

Its not just that its corrupt, its the scale of corruption, as I said, imagine if almost every channel were fox news. If every paper was the daily mail. And imagine if they had a culture of active suppression where they would mass delete/ban and intimidate to suppress stories. Its just on a different level at this point, games journalism was always in danger because of its single source of funding, but now, its really gone off the deep end.
  • DinkyDoobieDinkyDoobie Posts: 17,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is her game...

http://www.depressionquest.com
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The regular media is corrupt, I didn't say it wasn't. I'm just saying the games media is that much worse. Just realize for a second that games "journalists" basically live off the advertising from the very same companies they have to talk about and review products from. It was always rather shaky, this idea of "games journalism", but at least when it was in print, the social aspect just wasn't there. Now its become infected with the gawker/daily mail type of business model, and any remaining shred of journalistic ethics has gone straight out the door.

Its not just that its corrupt, its the scale of corruption, as I said, imagine if almost every channel were fox news. If every paper was the daily mail. And imagine if they had a culture of active suppression where they would mass delete/ban and intimidate to suppress stories. Its just on a different level at this point, games journalism was always in danger because of its single source of funding, but now, its really gone off the deep end.

You probably would have got better results posting this in the gaming section, or on a dedicated gaming forum.

I personally think that this matters so little I struggle to see why somebody would care about it. Video games are a fun pastime for some people. They don't matter in any real sense.

The news media (and politics, and big business, and big finance..) are corrupt and rotten to the core, and that matters a lot, lot, lot more, and nobody even cares about them.. sooo... yeah..

I personally think you have too much time on your hands if this is all you have to worry about.
  • Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw this on Reddit yesterday and really struggled to care. Maybe 15 years I would have done, but not now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I personally think you have too much time on your hands if this is all you have to worry about.

Because making a single thread about a particular thing surely means it is the only thing they are worried about. They could not possibly have any other concerns.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the other hand...

Also the fact that there never WAS a Kotaku review- the one she's accused of "buying" with sex- kind of makes the whole thing a bit, well, non-existent.
    Here's her take on things.

According to Kotaku themselves, the dude hasn't written a word about her since they've been seeing each other.

I'd say the biggest scandal here is the making public of someone's sex life by an embittered ex, the campaign of harassment and the rape threats.

And yeah, some of the comments in this thread are half-right- gaming websites being biased ISN'T that big a deal. Women being harassed online is a very real problem, and that IS worthy of discussion. As a gamer myself, I think we need to get our house in order.
  • pickwickpickwick Posts: 25,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, the OP has missed the story here by a mile. While gaming journalism being corrupt might be important to a few people, sexist harassment and rape threats are a much bigger deal, especially in gaming. "Person shags other people working in same industry" is really, really not a story.

And it's bloody ridiculous that this latest kerfuffle's got big because it's a woman and OMG SEX - male gaming journos have been more corrupt than this for years. I remember that Doritos pic, even if the OP doesn't.
  • NamiraNamira Posts: 3,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I heard about this and I was disgusted that someone would prostitute themselves for a review. After a while though I got concerned that there seemed to be a lot of "he said she said" and I asked someone who was ranting and raving about her to show me this review that she slept around to get and he couldn't produce it. Is this just a case of 4 Chan not liking a person because they exposed certain gamers/forum dwellers for the obnoxious little shits they are? And a woman to boot? I'm starting to think so.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Namira wrote: »
    I heard about this and I was disgusted that someone would prostitute themselves for a review. After a while though I got concerned that there seemed to be a lot of "he said she said" and I asked someone who was ranting and raving about her to show me this review that she slept around to get and he couldn't produce it. Is this just a case of 4 Chan not liking a person because they exposed certain gamers/forum dwellers for the obnoxious little shits they are? And a woman to boot? I'm starting to think so.

Pretty much that, yeah. Read the Kotaku link I posted above. The ex has basically been looking for anything to smear her with. And the review never existed.
  • CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    This is internet drama really. As someone who follows the games industry, it's well known that there is (monetary, usually) corruption in the review process, so these allegations aren't a surprise. Even if they aren't specifically true*, maybe it will add some more transparency to the review process, although I doubt it.

*Even ignoring that he didn't actually review her game, Kotaku has done a fairly large number of articles about Quinn, some only tangentially related to her games (eg: the articles about her body modification).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cryolemon wrote: »
    This is internet drama really. As someone who follows the games industry, it's well known that there is (monetary, usually) corruption in the review process, so these allegations aren't a surprise. Even if they aren't specifically true*, maybe it will add some more transparency to the review process, although I doubt it.

*Even ignoring that he didn't actually review her game, Kotaku has done a fairly large number of articles about Quinn, some only tangentially related to her games (eg: the articles about her body modification).

Yeah, but the guy sleeping with her didn't write them. I think that's kind of important. Otherwise should games journos NEVER get involved with people in the industry? I mean, it happens, and there's nothing wrong with it- these are the people they see a lot of. It should maybe be more transparent, but that doesn't mean someone's entire personal life gets plastered across the net. Should this apply in any other industry? Directors form relationships with their actors all the time, and they have a lot more clout than reviewers do.

Sure, there is bias and cash changing hands as in any other industry, and that's not ideal. But the real story here's a campaign of harassment against a dev. The rest is just bullshit. I mean, yeah, an upside could be that it adds more transparency, but the downside is that an innocent woman has had her life made hell by a bunch of idiots.

As Quinn says herself: "What I *am* going to say is that the proliferation of nude pictures of me, death threats, vandalization, doxxing of my trans friends for having the audacity to converse with me publicly, harassment of friends and family and my friends’ family in addition to TOTALLY UNRELATED PEOPLE, sending my home address around, rape threats, memes about me being a ****, pressures to kill myself, slurs of every variety, f****** debates over what my genitals smell like, vultures trying to make money off of youtube videos about it, all of these things are inexcusable and will continue to happen to women until this culture changes. I’m certainly not the first. I wish I could be the last."
  • CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    stoatie wrote: »
    Yeah, but the guy sleeping with her didn't write them. I think that's kind of important. Otherwise should games journos NEVER get involved with people in the industry? I mean, it happens, and there's nothing wrong with it- these are the people they see a lot of. It should maybe be more transparent, but that doesn't mean someone's entire personal life gets plastered across the net. Should this apply in any other industry? Directors form relationships with their actors all the time, and they have a lot more clout than reviewers do.

Indeed, the whole thing is an over-reaction because a certain section of the internet don't like Zoe Quinn for various reasons. The problem is though that such relationships, even if they don't actually effect the coverage give the impression of bias, even if no bias exists. That doesn't help sometimes. Films are an interesting comparison really, because of all of the casting couch allegations over the years.
    Sure, there is bias and cash changing hands as in any other industry, and that's not ideal. But the real story here's a campaign of harassment against a dev. The rest is just bullshit. I mean, yeah, an upside could be that it adds more transparency, but the downside is that an innocent woman has had her life made hell by a bunch of idiots.

No-one here (I hope) would argue that how Quinn has been treated is right, but as I said, there are sections of the internet that really don't like her for whatever reason (because she's a successful woman in a very male industry? Who knows) and would likely find another reason to do this if not this.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cryolemon wrote: »
    Indeed, the whole thing is an over-reaction because a certain section of the internet don't like Zoe Quinn for various reasons. The problem is though that such relationships, even if they don't actually effect the coverage give the impression of bias, even if no bias exists. That doesn't help sometimes. Films are an interesting comparison really, because of all of the casting couch allegations over the years.

No-one here (I hope) would argue that how Quinn has been treated is right, but as I said, there are sections of the internet that really don't like her for whatever reason (because she's a successful woman in a very male industry? Who knows) and would likely find another reason to do this if not this.

Agree entirely- that's why it's the real story. This would have happened anyway, because there's a HUGE problem with women among sections of the internet and particularly the gaming community. I guess this is how football fans must have felt during the 80s when their favoured pastime was synonymous with violence.
  • tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The whole situation has its basis in both the ethics of gaming journalism and employees and the obvious conflicts of interest it causes when Quinn decides to cheat on her boyfriend with five members of the gaming industry for her own gain. Now normally, someone's private life should remain just that - private, but when someone cheats on multiple people like Quinn did in order to influence journalists and employees in order to gain an advantage and which such actions have a negative effect on impartiality and ethics within an industry, then it has a good case to become a subject for public interest. She even organised a media blackout of 'Women's Game Jam' for her own profit.

We've had a situation before where a newspaper used immoral means for gain - it was called the "Phone Hacking Scandal" and it didn't go well for Murdoch or the News Of The World.

And talking of blackouts, the positive reviews and awards for Quinn's game came through, and the video game media have all but ignored the whole scandal, daring to declare anyone critical of Quinn as a misogynist and sexist. It's the same play the victim, attack legitimate, cited criticism card which is usually played by feminists and has been seen to be played before by Anita Sarkessian over her Tropes Vs Women In Video Games series which could and has been debunked in merely a few minutes using sexual dimorphism and other scientific knowledge. Quinn is one of many (Sarkessian has also used a few of the following for the same reason) who uses the weapons of censorship, blocking (alleged to have colluded with administrators on discussion websites by the Internet Aristocrat in his excellent videos which I urge you to watch) and false DMCA takedowns of anyone whom is critical of Quinn, and then allow the mainstream media to dismiss men as misogynists. Another tactic of the likes of feminists whom don't want their untruthful assertions of patriarchy to be challenged and debunked by reason and fact.

This is being kept under wraps by the industry and the media as a whole because it threatens to expose the corruption within the industry and the status-quo of the old media with inherent bias, scared to question the motives of a woman who disregards basic morality to further her career and threaten to expose corruption behind the scenes between individuals, journalists and decision makers in video gaming. Oddly enough, if this was a man cheating on women for personal gain, he would have been fed to the lions and had their career destroyed, but because it is a woman who has done wrong, all we see is ignorance and dismissal of (male) critics of Quinn as trolls, misogynists and the worst of humanity when in reality, all they are doing is legitimately questioning Quinn's actions to bring about conflicts of interest and harming the ethics of journalism and the video game industry as should happen in a healthy, free society. The people critical of Quinn I have seen have not made one assertion of Quinn in a negative, insulting manner but this doesn't matter, they're still declared misogynists by feminists with vested interests.

"If no one does anything, nothing will change." - thunderf00t. And he is right, if people are not challenged on the lies that are spread for their own vested interest or are challenged when they do something wrong which causes a negative effect on wider society, then nothing will change and the lies spoken get taken on board as fact and poisonous ideology also takes hold, whether its spread by feminists, Katie Hopkins, social justice warriors, newspapers like the Daily Mail, creationists or the like.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So you think the people issuing the rape threats are merely being dismissed as misogynists because people don't like their opinions?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So you think the people issuing the rape threats are merely being dismissed as misogynists because people don't like their opinions?
    I think there is a whole world between disgusting and illegal rape threats and people questioning Quinn's actions and motives for personal gain. Rape threats are abhorrent and misogynist which should be tackled by the Police, challenging Quinn's actions and motives in a polite, reasonable manner is not misogyny, it is a healthy thing to do in a free society.

Being a woman does not absolve you of questioning in the public realm if you do something which causes harm to society, in this case, the very ethics and impartiality of video game journalism alongside the conflict of interests generated from her actions.
  • pickwickpickwick Posts: 25,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think it's particularly relevant, but since you're so focused on the "cheating", tghe-retford, it was my understanding that they weren't actually together at the time?

The rest of your anti-feminist rant makes me think that wouldn't make much difference to your opinion, though :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think there is a whole world between disgusting and illegal rape threats and people questioning Quinn's actions and motives for personal gain. Rape threats are abhorrent and misogynist which should be tackled by the Police, challenging Quinn's actions and motives in a polite, reasonable manner is not misogyny, it is a healthy thing to do in a free society.

Being a woman does not absolve you of questioning in the public realm if you do something which causes harm to society, in this case, the very ethics and impartiality of video game journalism alongside the conflict of interests generated from her actions.

No, but this has gone way beyond questioning. WAY beyond. Which, given the involvement of the disgruntled ex-boyfriend, one could be forgiven for suspecting may have been ONE of the aims all along.
  • D_Mcd4D_Mcd4 Posts: 10,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Microsoft and Apple do the same. Apple is well known to have blacklist that means a journalist or company will not get early access to their products if they have previously written a bad review. So the journalists tend to toe the line. I am wary of reviews.
  • NamiraNamira Posts: 3,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Which 99% of the people "discussing" this issue are not doing, and you know it.

If you really don't think that a lot of the internet gaming communities are not outrageously sexist I don't really know what to say tbh.
  • PinSarlaPinSarla Posts: 4,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the other hand...

Also the fact that there never WAS a Kotaku review- the one she's accused of "buying" with sex- kind of makes the whole thing a bit, well, non-existent.
    Here's her take on things.

According to Kotaku themselves, the dude hasn't written a word about her since they've been seeing each other.

I'd say the biggest scandal here is the making public of someone's sex life by an embittered ex, the campaign of harassment and the rape threats.

And yeah, some of the comments in this thread are half-right- gaming websites being biased ISN'T that big a deal. Women being harassed online is a very real problem, and that IS worthy of discussion. As a gamer myself, I think we need to get our house in order.

Agreed. This whole thing is being stoked by 4chan. In fact it started on /r9k/, and I've never seen a larger cess pool of misogynistic beta orbiter, kissless virgins in my life.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, but this has gone way beyond questioning. WAY beyond. Which, given the involvement of the disgruntled ex-boyfriend, one could be forgiven for suspecting may have been ONE of the aims all along.
    Really? In Internet Aristocrat's or MundaneMatt's videos on the subject (the most publicised videos on the subject), I see not one iota of bitterness or sexism directed at Quinn or any hatred against Quinn purely because she is a woman.

I can understand people assuming Quinn's ex having an axe to grind after her infidelity and if this was a normal act of cheating, one which should remain private and between the relevant parties. When that cheating involves people with a conflict of interest, then it becomes a public interest issue, whether the cheater involved is a man or a woman.
    Namira wrote: »
    Which 99% of the people "discussing" this issue are not doing, and you know it.

If you really don't think that a lot of the internet gaming communities are not outrageously sexist I don't really know what to say tbh.
    I'm not seeing it myself unless you believe that questioning the actions of a woman = misogyny?
This discussion has been closed.