Options

Should friends provide sandwiches if you visit between the hours of 12 to 1 ?

rufusrainrufusrain Posts: 923
Forum Member
✭✭
I personally think it should be standard practise but often I find it's not. Just a shabby oversight if you ask me and I find friendship is short lived after as who would put hunger before friendship? Not me as it's core bodily requirement.

Comments

• Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is not your best thread. Which is a bit like being a runner-up in a tallest midget contest.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    As long as it is reciprocated. I gave up feeding cadgers a long,long time ago.
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe you should be more courteous yourself and not go visiting people at lunchtime!
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,992
    Forum Member
    No lol. If I was going to see a friend between 12 and 1 and I was hungry, I'd just grab one out of the warehouse. I certainly wouldn't be making sandwiches for people lol.
  • Options
    TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    why should they, if i go and visit someone i don't expect to be fed or offered a drink, if offered yeah i accept but if not it doesn't matter
  • Options
    bossoftheworldbossoftheworld Posts: 4,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't have lunch till 1pm so I'd be away by the time I got my bitty.
  • Options
    fizzycatfizzycat Posts: 6,120
    Forum Member
    No. If people turn up at my house at meal-times expecting to be fed when they haven't been invited, that's their problem. Luckily, none of my friends are rude free-loaders.

BTW - OP, not one of your best. 3/10; must try harder.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I once had a friend make a huge plate of sandwiches when 3 of us visited at lunch time but he proceeded to eat them all him his self . Friendship never recovered after that little incident.

In Arabic lands guests are treated like royalty and you would always get offered lunch for sure.
  • Options
    Random42Random42 Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, yes they should.

Sandwiches on offer should range from delicate, wafer thin cucumber to the finest eggs with homemade mayonnaise and a liberal scattering of cress. A selection of various cakes and scones should also be provided as a gesture of good will.

Anything less is a shocking disregard of friendship and is the height of bad manners.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 464
    Forum Member
    I think a cuppa and a biscuit would be nice. What has happened to British hospitality since I've been away? Used to be every visitor to the house got a drink and snack...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think a cuppa and a biscuit would be nice. What has happened to British hospitality since I've been away? Used to be every visitor to the house got a drink and snack...

I'd offer coffee to a visitor (no biscuits unless I was expecting visitors because we don't eat them so they're not a 'stock item'). But not sandwiches or a meal for someone like the OP who seems to accidentally arrive at meal-times hoping to be fed for free.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's since the recession people have kept their bread bins shut it seems which is no way to make a recovery or friendship last long term.
  • Options
    CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, no no.

I find offering visitors refreshments or beverages encourages them to stay longer , or worse, to visit again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Centaurion wrote: »
    Oh, no no.

I find offering visitors refreshments or beverages encourages them to stay longer , or worse, to visit again.

Yes but as a friend would you not want that more so I can provide comfort support and humour? For the cost of a sandwich seems a small price
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,274
    Forum Member
    rufusrain wrote: »
    I personally think it should be standard practise but often I find it's not. Just a shabby oversight if you ask me and I find friendship is short lived after as who would put hunger before friendship? Not me as it's core bodily requirement.

Your surname is spelled BUCKET, right?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dee123 wrote: »
    Your surname is spelled BUCKET, right?

No - it's BAD-TROLL
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 464
    Forum Member
    rufusrain wrote: »
    It's since the recession people have kept their bread bins shut it seems which is no way to make a recovery or friendship last long term.

Yes. That makes sense. I'd be embarrassed if I had nothing on hand to give a visitor though, even if it was only homemade chocolate chip cookies.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,274
    Forum Member
    fizzycat wrote: »
    No - it's BAD-TROLL

You're right. They've picked the wrong comedy. If they were talking about their pussy being out of control at least i could have a giggle.
  • Options
    ianradioianianradioian Posts: 74,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Random42 wrote: »
    Yes, yes they should.

Sandwiches on offer should range from delicate, wafer thin cucumber to the finest eggs with homemade mayonnaise and a liberal scattering of cress. A selection of various cakes and scones should also be provided as a gesture of good will.

Anything less is a shocking disregard of friendship and is the height of bad manners.

Can I come round for a cup of tea; sounds luvly :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    If my friends come round at lunchtime, then I leave them there while I go out for tapas.
  • Options
    Random42Random42 Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can I come round for a cup of tea; sounds luvly :p

You'd be most welcome, ol' bean. Today's choice of beverage is either Earl Grey or Darjeeling.
  • Options
    TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    Centaurion wrote: »
    Oh, no no.

you're like me lol All my friends know never to come to my house we always meet out then no-one has to host or wash up just the way I like it, don't want every tom dick or harry thinking they can turn up on my doorstep when they like it's by invite only
  • Options
    Wee TinkersWee Tinkers Posts: 12,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You are there for one hour. You can do without food for that brief spell, surely.

I feed my friends if they're hanging about for a lengthy period when it likely falls during a mealtime. Say, 11am-3pm or 4pm-7pm. Buggers usually overstay their welcome so much eating usually occurs. Kids always go home fed and watered.

I am a crap hostess. My friends are as likely to sort me out with coffee and food when they're here. I make the first brew out of courtesy but after that it's a free for all. My friends expect to relax here. Not doilies and finger sandwiches.
  • Options
    Wee TinkersWee Tinkers Posts: 12,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If my friends come round at lunchtime, then I leave them there while I go out for tapas.

:D :Like that.
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not if you turn up unannounced.