• scotchscotch Posts: 10,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh, I've had 2 packets of watsits . . .

I'll have to walk a bit further tomorrow :mad:
  • GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wotsits are quite low on the calorie factor, you'll be all right.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gogfumble wrote: »
    Wotsits are quite low on the calorie factor, you'll be all right.

Cheers, That's made me feel less guilty. They weren't the normal sized bags but the smaller ones from a multi pack.
  • GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even better then.

I am a great believer in not having to give up anything (everything in moderation - denying yourself isn't sustainable for most people) so wotsits and quavers are my go to crisps when I have the craving. Better having a couple of them than crumbling and having 3 or 4... or more (which was a common think for me) bags of walkers or something.
  • TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    Fell off the wagon last night,but to be honest I should have waited till monday to start,but I i did start my running fri morn,just round the block,but I will go a bit further next time,and I ran all the way without stopping so it,s a pretty good start after not doing it for so long,onwards and upward,s,hope everyone else is doing slightly better.

I fell off the wagon tonight but back on it in the morning and forget about it otherwise I will feel guilty think sod it and then eat and eat for a few weeks until I try again better to forgive myself now
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    Well I survived my Saturday night out! Meal and drinks were changed to just drinks and I stuck to vodka & coke, plus I only had 4 and stuck to single measures. Did fall off the wagon at 1am this morning when my friends & I shared a pizza - but I picked the two smallest pieces so made me feel less guilty.

Making dinner now and having chicken and veg, but only have birdseye boxed chicken in so have swopped a piece of it in breadcrumbs for a chargrilled piece and thats a difference of about 70 calories! Have put myself a couple of roast potatoes in as a 'treat' (despite falling off wagon this morning).

I'm going to weigh myself on a Sunday morning like I used to as I felt it worked better for me in that if I was disappointed one week, Monday was a new week. Weigh 10st 2.5lb this morning... a little less than Weds so that's good but todays weigh in was purely to get me on a Sunday weigh in routine.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Forced myself out the door this afternoon and went a 5 mile walk. Feel better for it.

Going to aim to do thje same again most days! *Fingers crossed*
  • misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    scotch wrote: »
    Forced myself out the door this afternoon and went a 5 mile walk. Feel better for it.

Well done :)

I set foot inside a gym today, for the first time ever :o

I did just over an hour, thought it'd be better to start off with that and work my way up to longer rather than risk over-doing it on my first go and falling off a machine!

I'm going to start going 2/3 times a week, along with my fitness classes and walking.
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been to the gym 6x this week and swimming twice. The cutting out of the carbs starts tomo, have already prepped my two meals for work.
  • GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So my weight loss mission starts tomorrow. I've weighed in this evening at 11st 7. I want to lose at least 7lbs and preferably a stone.

Plan for the week is 3 meals a day with some treats - I cannot give up biscuits full stop, it just will not happen! I am going to avoid having pudding every day though - it's so unnecessary. And cut down the amount of potatoes I eat with every meal. I also need to stop binge drinking which should be easier now Christmas is out of the way!

Zumba on Tuesday and Thursday and I'm hopeful to fit in an hour's walk at the weekend at some point - but that does depend on the weather.

I'm also going to stop sitting on tables at work and move around the classroom more.
  • Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    I have a question that i have failed to google the answer for so hoping you guys can help.

I am currently calorie counting using myFitnessPal and using it to log calorie intake and exercise. Lets say (as today) i swim for about 45 mins in total, but the time period of actual swimming was probably about 30 mins, with the remainder as rest periods at the end of the pool, etc. Do i then log that as 45 mins of swimming or 30 mins of swimming?

There is quite a large calorie burning difference so i don't want to mislead myself either way...
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, if you can get in the habit of walking a few miles every day then it does make you feel so much better even if you don't lose that many calories compared to more physical activities. Just getting out of the house to stretch your legs and breathe some fresh air has its own benefits.

I live within a mile of a 24 hr Tesco. It's just so easy to jump into the car whenever I run out of anything. I need to get into the habit of walking there instead.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 78
    Forum Member
    Well done :)

I set foot inside a gym today, for the first time ever :o

I did just over an hour, thought it'd be better to start off with that and work my way up to longer rather than risk over-doing it on my first go and falling off a machine!

I'm going to start going 2/3 times a week, along with my fitness classes and walking.

well done you
  • SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vast_Girth wrote: »
    I have a question that i have failed to google the answer for so hoping you guys can help.

I am currently calorie counting using myFitnessPal and using it to log calorie intake and exercise. Lets say (as today) i swim for about 45 mins in total, but the time period of actual swimming was probably about 30 mins, with the remainder as rest periods at the end of the pool, etc. Do i then log that as 45 mins of swimming or 30 mins of swimming?

There is quite a large calorie burning difference so i don't want to mislead myself either way...
    You should just count the 30 minutes of swimming, since that was the length of your actual calorie-burning exercise. Your 15 minutes of doing nothing doesn't count, unfortunately! :D
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sigurd wrote: »
    You should just count the 30 minutes of swimming, since that was the length of your actual calorie-burning exercise. Your 15 minutes of doing nothing doesn't count, unfortunately! :D

Yes, otherwise standing in the shallow end for 60 minutes while nattering would count as a full hour of exercising.
  • Just VogueJust Vogue Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Male, medium height, late teenager, absolutely no idea about how much I weigh other than that it can't be anymore than 12/13 stone.

Dieted for most of November/December and then on Christmas Eve I decided to say screw it and have been binging since then. As I now count calories pretty much automatically I know that I likely haven't put on that much weight as very rarely have i gone over 2500 calories, but I doubt I've lost anything!

The diet over the last two months didn't succeed in shifting any weight from my stomach area and that's where I most wanted it to go from. So it's back to 1300 calories a day for me... I want to go back on this diet until I've got my body looking how I want it (Turning my bumpy tummy into something resembling flat) and judging by the speed I was losing weight last time I think it'll take me around 5 months. Yes, that's guess work :P I very much doubt I can keep it up for 2 months by doing it the same way which I did it before because I was constantly craving takeaways! So I've been thinking that I'll have a takeaway for one night a week as a reward for eating so little the rest of the time.

Does anybody else do a low calorie diet but allow themselves a cheat day/meal once a week? Is it hard to get back into the diet after that?

I'm not very mathmatical in my approach to dieting but I'm going to try and start weighing myself.... need to buy myself a set of scales I guess :p
  • JulzeiJulzei Posts: 4,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm definately on a diet this year. I tip the scales closer to 14 stone, I used to be 10 and a half so I want to get back down to at least 10. I'm going to the gym 3x a week, I hope 1 hour is enough cardio.
  • Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    Yes, otherwise standing in the shallow end for 60 minutes while nattering would count as a full hour of exercising.

Booo! I was hoping because the heart rate was up or something it might count!

Oh well nevermind, sitll burnt a fair few calories... :)
  • roland ratroland rat Posts: 13,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I was doing this early Oct, and it felt great, me my mp3 player, my garmin fr60 watch

Usualy do around 11km, which = about 6 miles, and takes me around 90 min, always felt good afterwards
  • roland ratroland rat Posts: 13,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So my weight loss mission starts tomorrow. I've weighed in this evening at 11st 7. I want to lose at least 7lbs and preferably a stone.

Start back at gym tomorrow, currently weigh 212 lbs, which = 15 st 2lbs

This week at gym going to take things easy, need to get into the proper stride
  • elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    I need to lose 3 and 1/2 stone to get down to my ideal weight (would be happy with 3 though). I am currently 13.6 stone and hate it have never been this heavy before. Started back at the gym last week and it killed me, I did an hour on Wednesday and Saturday and was completely broken Saturday afternoon. Am going to go to the Gym on Tuesday and Wednesday night for an hour and I have just signed up for a Rosemary Conley class (never been to anything like that before so am a bit unsure what to expect).

We have been having meals from the Hairy Dieters cookbook(the other half wants to lose weight as well) but I tend to cook quite healthily anyway it's snacking and coke that is the problem. I have decided that on a Saturday's I can have a treat of a can of coke and a bun/pastry but I can't have one during the week. My lunch(food whilst at work) will consist of a sandwich, yoghurt some fruit and a penguin or 2 finger kitkat, I have bought some Elderflower cordial so that when I feel like a can of coke at work I have that instead and I am going to try and go for a walk at lunch times.
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd cut out the chocolate if I were you.
  • Stella100Stella100 Posts: 606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    weighed in this morning and I've lost 2lb since last week which is excellent as it means I'm on target.

I've made homemade soup for my lunches all this week so fingers crossed I'll have the same loss next week.

Yogalates tonight !
  • allhitradioallhitradio Posts: 125
    Forum Member
    Just Vogue wrote: »
    Male, medium height, late teenager, absolutely no idea about how much I weigh other than that it can't be anymore than 12/13 stone.

Dieted for most of November/December and then on Christmas Eve I decided to say screw it and have been binging since then. As I now count calories pretty much automatically I know that I likely haven't put on that much weight as very rarely have i gone over 2500 calories, but I doubt I've lost anything!

The diet over the last two months didn't succeed in shifting any weight from my stomach area and that's where I most wanted it to go from. So it's back to 1300 calories a day for me... I want to go back on this diet until I've got my body looking how I want it (Turning my bumpy tummy into something resembling flat) and judging by the speed I was losing weight last time I think it'll take me around 5 months. Yes, that's guess work :P I very much doubt I can keep it up for 2 months by doing it the same way which I did it before because I was constantly craving takeaways! So I've been thinking that I'll have a takeaway for one night a week as a reward for eating so little the rest of the time.

Does anybody else do a low calorie diet but allow themselves a cheat day/meal once a week? Is it hard to get back into the diet after that?

I'm not very mathmatical in my approach to dieting but I'm going to try and start weighing myself.... need to buy myself a set of scales I guess :p

From my experience of trying to lose weight (which goes back years) the sort of plan you have described, with one night off per week, should probably work as long as you do some exercise as well. Personally, I find that unless I stick to the diet, without any 'treat' days, I just regain everything I've lost over the weekend. But that's probably because I find it difficult to stay motivated and exercise.

It doesn't sound as if you are particularly overweight, although you do need to get some scales in order to be certain.

If you only have around 1 - 1 and a half stone to lose, you should be able to do that in six to eight weeks maximum. I lost 4 and a half stone last year and it took me about eight months.

Personally, I'd try to stay off the takeaways. Certainly wouldn't have more than one per month.

One top tip I can offer to avoid feeling hungry is to have a bowl of All Bran with skimmed milk, heated up in the microwave. A bowl of that and plenty of water in the evening makes you feel really full up. I lost my 4 and a half stone without feeling hungry at all.
  • Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    Hello! :)

I posted in the thread last year and then never returned. :o

However I did manage to lose weight last year. At my biggest (ever) I weighed in at 229lbs (16st 5lbs) in late May 2012. By the beginning of December 2012 I was down to 199.4lbs (roughly 14st 3lbs).

Rather annoyingly I slipped back into my old habits over Christmas and New Year and so not unexpectedly I managed to put a bit back on. I've weighed myself today for the first time this year and I'm currently 208.8lbs (or just a shade under 14st 13lbs). Which whilst slightly annoying is still quite a bit lower than I was at the same time last year so that's definitely a good thing. I'm aiming to get down to about 12 and a half stone which I think would be a good weight for my height.

I'll be using my trusty My Fitness Pal app to help me keep track of my calories. My exercises will initially be mainly running and I'll use Runkeeper to log my runs and to roughly calculate how many calories I'm burning. In a few weeks I hope to start some resistance training as well so I'm not losing muscle. Diet-wise it's actually pretty simple for me because I know exactly where I go wrong - I snack, and I snack quite a bit. When I cut it out, I lose weight. It's just ensuring that I'm watching what I'm eating - it's quite shocking when you're forced to look at what you're eating how many calories you can consume without even realising.

Anyway I hope 2013 is the year I can finally get rid of the weight I want to and keep it off. Fingers crossed. Good luck everyone.