✭✭
    Dan Sette wrote: »
    Actually, yes.

And Stuart Roper.

did stuart pass away
  • Peace100Peace100 Posts: 3,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All the crew from the now defunct Gaydar Radio, Neil Sexton & Debbie, Simon Le vans, Robin Crowley, Phil Marriott...great presenters who all deserve to be on air today....
  • ahoymeisterahoymeister Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rod Lucas- Radio Kent/Invicta... Totally original and was allowed free rein which could probably not happen nowadays
    Rod Lucas' evening show on Radio Kent was the show that sparked my love of radio. Really inventive and unlike anything I'd heard before. So sad to think of the aural filler that goes out in that slot now.
  • Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    radio nut wrote: »
    did stuart pass away

Yes he did.

But he did retire to Devon, I believe, after leaving Radio WM
  • smurfs5smurfs5 Posts: 580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Adam Catterall- Sounded brilliant while doing cover work on Radio 1 but because of his age, he was never given a show.
  • Pablo79Pablo79 Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    sporter92 wrote: »
    Martin Kelner still is a guest on Talksport from time to time especially on H&J and other shows such as the Press Pass and he is always on Fighting Talk on Saturday Mornings on 5 Live

Jeremy Kyle show on talksport was great, I hate his TV show with a passion and put on his radio expecting to hate it but it was brilliant
    Are you being serious? Jeremy Kyle was abysmal on Talksport! He knew very little beyond what he'd read in the morning's papers that day and couldn't hold a conversation about sport in any level of detail for toffee! I remember him making some comment about never having heard of Arshavin at Arsenal at the very same time as the boy was seen by some as the best thing since sliced bread.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    Bingethink wrote: »

Ooh thanks for this. Very interesting website among many things I found out he was punched by Brian Clough and hosted a breakfast show on a country station for 7 months. I have a vague memory of London having a country station but can't remember what it was called and how long it lasted.

As I recall I think Jeremy did a stint on talk sport in the late 90s or could be earlier. I remember him handing over to the much missed Tommy Boyd who was doing overnights at the time. I am tempted to list Tommy in this list of presenters who should have been bigger but I feel he probably reached greatness in the early days of Talk Radio.
    Jeremy also presented a sport show that was rather good on Granada Talk TV (anyone remember that?). A yoof programme in the afternoon on that channel was presented by a young man named Sasha Baron-Cohen. Wonder what became of him?:)
  • Kitt 2000Kitt 2000 Posts: 1,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nick Abbot..
    Still very good..
    But in the Virgin 1215 days he did outstanding radio..
  • voltorevoltore Posts: 241
    Forum Member
    The late Mike Hurley on BBC Humberside. I used to enjoy his Saturday morning shows. Sadly no longer with us.

I enjoyed Timbo in the early Essex Radio days and worked with his Roadshow when I was a teenager in Essex!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 401
    Forum Member
    Pablo79 wrote: »
    Are you being serious? Jeremy Kyle was abysmal on Talksport! He knew very little beyond what he'd read in the morning's papers that day and couldn't hold a conversation about sport in any level of detail for toffee! I remember him making some comment about never having heard of Arshavin at Arsenal at the very same time as the boy was seen by some as the best thing since sliced bread.

I've already admitted to hating sport but knowing Jeremy well on a personal level, I can tell you he knows his sport inside out.

I've lost count of the number of times I've nearly chewed my right arm off listening to him rave about horse-racing, football, golf and gawd knows what else.
    Forum Member
    Kitt 2000 wrote: »
    Nick Abbot..
    Still very good..

Agreed absolutely. I think you can still get quite a few of those shows online(well I managed to a few years ago). It's a shame really that apart from the 5live, LBC is the highest level he can get to in the talk radio realm in this country. But I suppose that's an argument for another thread.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rob_Moore wrote: »
    Agreed absolutely. I think you can still get quite a few of those shows online(well I managed to a few years ago). It's a shame really that apart from the 5live, LBC is the highest level he can get to in the talk radio realm in this country. But I suppose that's an argument for another thread.

Yes you certainly can..

www.nickabbot.com
  • radiodadradiodad Posts: 2,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nick Abbot..
    Still very good..

Agreed, it's a shame Nick has to do serious talk now. he does it very well but back on Virgin he was a genius.

Add to that list Iain Lee, he hasn't done bad with his show on LBC and Virgin/Absolute but deserved a lot more fame for his radio work than he got. I was always amassed how he could weave in callers like a art with his backing music. He was very very quick as well much like Nick Abbot being able to think of a funny comeback in seconds. He clearly loves radio and isn't like most TV people who just do it because TV work is low, he regularly admitted to being addicted to phone in's on LBC and TalkSPORT and admired the likes of Boyd and Abbot.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    radiodad wrote: »
    Agreed, it's a shame Nick has to do serious talk now. he does it very well but back on Virgin he was a genius.

Add to that list Iain Lee, he hasn't done bad with his show on LBC and Virgin/Absolute but deserved a lot more fame for his radio work than he got. I was always amassed how he could weave in callers like a art with his backing music. He was very very quick as well much like Nick Abbot being able to think of a funny comeback in seconds. He clearly loves radio and isn't like most TV people who just do it because TV work is low, he regularly admitted to being addicted to phone in's on LBC and TalkSPORT and admired the likes of Boyd and Abbot.

It was a joy to ring Nick regularly and be part of those Virgin 1215 days.
    Forum Member
    Yes you certainly can..

www.nickabbot.com

In fact on some of that audio you here chris moyles as a fake scouser character 'it's great'. I think it's on his final phone in on virgin
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In fact on some of that audio you here chris moyles as a fake scouser character 'it's great'. I think it's on his final phone in on virgin

The one where he came into the studio?
    That was the final 10-2 phone in in early 94.
    Nick then did 7-10pm until the phone in was dropped in November 94...

Nick did however do various phone ins servral years later back at Virgin, usually fill ins for Danny Baker etc..
    Forum Member
    The one where he came into the studio?
    That was the final 10-2 phone in in early 94.
    Nick then did 7-10pm until the phone in was dropped in November 94...

Nick did however do various phone ins servral years later back at Virgin, usually fill ins for Danny Baker etc..

Yeah that's the one. He was friends with Wendy Lloyd I think and she bought him in. What a great loss it was loosing that phone in. I've heard Iain lee calling the current version of Nick-nick Abbott lite. Think that's spot on.
  • metal cassettemetal cassette Posts: 98
    Forum Member
    Ooh thanks for this. Very interesting website among many things I found out he was punched by Brian Clough and hosted a breakfast show on a country station for 7 months. I have a vague memory of London having a country station but can't remember what it was called and how long it lasted.

As I recall I think Jeremy did a stint on talk sport in the late 90s or could be earlier. I remember him handing over to the much missed Tommy Boyd who was doing overnights at the time. I am tempted to list Tommy in this list of presenters who should have been bigger but I feel he probably reached greatness in the early days of Talk Radio.
    Jeremy also presented a sport show that was rather good on Granada Talk TV (anyone remember that?). A yoof programme in the afternoon on that channel was presented by a young man named Sasha Baron-Cohen. Wonder what became of him?:)
    The station was called Country 1035 and was on-air from 1994 until 2002 when it was bought by the Sunrise Radio Group and is now called Kismat Radio. Reception of Country 1035 was often quite difficult due to its low powered signal.
  • Bandspread199Bandspread199 Posts: 4,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ch958 wrote: »
    I wish Martin Kelner could get a regular radio 2 show - say Sat or Sun afternoons but they prefer fading TV stars rather than proper radio people

Martin once had a Saturday daytime show on Radio 2. He also did Friday late shows when he was interrupted by the 'cleaner' in the studio - a certain Mrs Mertain!:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    calderjon wrote: »
    Jeremy Kyle - his immense talent on the radio is often forgotten by those who detest the TV show.
    Yes, I was a avid ;) fan of Confessions on Century and Virgin and his show on Talksport was excellent as well.
  • wckartistwckartist Posts: 1,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never got to meet her, but i ( and some of my superiors at the time} were very impressed in the early 1990's with Rebecca Franklin on MFM......a REAL breath of fresh air, links were concise and quality!

From what i can gather, she is now a Lawyer in the West Midlands!
  • mbessexmbessex Posts: 2,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    radiodad wrote: »

Isin is still on the radio at BBC 3 Counties doing breakfast, I think he occasionally struggles with the format but his naughtie side still comes out. Glad hes back on he radio and its shows he is versatile and adaptable.
  • ste2010ste2010 Posts: 1,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    smurfs5 wrote: »
    Adam Catterall- Sounded brilliant while doing cover work on Radio 1 but because of his age, he was never given a show.

Adam Catterall takes over Key 103 afternoons from next month. Reckon it wont be long before he covers breakfast there. He was great on Rock FM Breakfast.
  • up to the vocalup to the vocal Posts: 2,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Russell Pockett;)