Davina McCall Sport Relief

Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
Forum Member
Just watched the TV programme. What an amazing achievement - hope she raises loads of money.

Anyone else watch it?

Comments

• Mrs TeapotMrs Teapot Posts: 124,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I did Penny, thought it was great......I was knackered just watching :blush:
  • Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    Amazing strength of character .......................I just wanted to give her a hug and cry with her. It really hits home just how hard it is when someone shows their vulnerability. It would have been hard for an athlete let alone an 'untrained' mother in her forties.
  • BanditaBandita Posts: 3,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She really did so well, I really admire her and felt for her hard task.
  • AvidianAvidian Posts: 6,049
    Forum Member
    No, I was looking up...speciality forums :blush:

I'll try and catch it later, thanks :)
  • SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Davina, Jo Whiley and Alex Jones - they've all done so well in their challenges for Sports Relief. Let's hear it for the girls !
  • SnikpohSnikpoh Posts: 2,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Davina, Jo Whiley and Alex Jones - they've all done so well in their challenges for Sports Relief. Let's hear it for the girls !

Agreed - well done ladies - brilliant job :-)
  • The FinisherThe Finisher Posts: 10,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watched the TV programme. What an amazing achievement - hope she raises loads of money.

Anyone else watch it?

Yes, good on her. I was proud of her and I don't even know her :D
  • RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,071
    Forum Member
    Yes, I watched it.
    I'll leave it at that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't watch the programme but saw clips on the main sport relief show. I was expecting her smiling away but every clip was her in tears! Makes it even more impressive though, shows how hard she worked.

Well done her raising over 2 million. :)

The premier league only managed 1, which is a bit of a weak effort. Imagine if every player gave up 1 weeks wages....
  • EVILSPEAKEVILSPEAK Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I admire the way she raised so much for charity with little or no publicity or fanfare. It's a quiet dignity you rarely see these days in celebrities.
  • Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never been able to bear her, found her excrutiangly irritating over the years. But hats off, that was a phenomenal achievement and she deserves all the credit which she is receiving. As does Jo Whiley. Cannot overestimate how tough what they did was.
  • BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quick question, what does the money raised go towards?
  • JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    Quick question, what does the money raised go towards?
    Have a quick google.
  • Bedlam_maidBedlam_maid Posts: 5,922
    Forum Member
    I can't bear her. Anything for attention but it's good that it raised money.
    Forum Member
    Just watched it on iplayer, was emotional and uplifting.
  • BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JB3 wrote: »
    Have a quick google.

Most of the stories are about the celebs and how much they raised. All I could find was 'to raise money for poor and disadvantaged people in the UK and around the world'. That sounds like a good cause, although somewhat vague. I'll look into it a bit more, I'd be interested to see how it's distributed and to what organizations specifically.
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Davina could give me some relief
    I want her to get off my lap, her fat bum is cutting off my circulation
    Forum Member
    Most of the stories are about the celebs and how much they raised. All I could find was 'to raise money for poor and disadvantaged people in the UK and around the world'. That sounds like a good cause, although somewhat vague. I'll look into it a bit more, I'd be interested to see how it's distributed and to what organizations specifically.
    She was specifically raising money for childrens' education in Africa,,she was particularly motivated by a girl who was working everyday, with her mum in a rock quarry, where they break up big rocks into bags of small rocks, which are used in road building.
  • muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    YOu will probably find more information about the causes and what is being done, where, etc on the Comic Relief website - same cause.

http://www.comicrelief.com/
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    EVILSPEAK wrote: »
    I admire the way she raised so much for charity with little or no publicity or fanfare. It's a quiet dignity you rarely see these days in celebrities.

So they didn't film her then?
    Forum Member
    No one I knew even knew she was doing it until she had finished it.

The filming of it wasn't at all flattering, she looked terrible for most of the time.
  • VeriVeri Posts: 96,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EVILSPEAK wrote: »

How does that work? How could it raise money without publicity for what she was doing?

The filming of it wasn't at all flattering, she looked terrible for most of the time.

Why do those things matter?

Along with raising a lot of money, it produced a lot of very favourable publicity for her: a tv show devoted to it, various tv appearances, plus numerous articles in newspapers and magazines. I don't think the two can really be separated.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Being rescued from Lake Windermere was on our local news. So it was known about.
  • JennyukJennyuk Posts: 20,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Davina McCall looks sensational in red as it's revealed she raised a whopping £2,239,931 doing gruelling challenge for Sport Relief 2014
    Forum Member
    woodbush wrote: »
    Being rescued from Lake Windermere was on our local news. So it was known about.
    Sorry, I don't watch your local news.