City of Death

The Face of BoeThe Face of Boe Posts: 843
Forum Member
✭✭
Just re-watched this on Netflix. One of my favourite classic series stories by far. It's funny (Duggan is hysterical) the Jagaroth are a great villain, and I have memories of watching this episode when it first aired when I was a sprightly seven years old. I would love for them to make a comeback some day. Plus It has all the cliches you could ever ask for from Sci-fi, a mad,camp scientist, a maniacal villain, a plot with earth changing consequences plus I love the Doctor and Romana's interaction in this one. What do other's think of this episode? If you have never watched classic who, may I suggest this episode is a good starting place...

Comments

• TheophileTheophile Posts: 2,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just re-watched this on Netflix. One of my favourite classic series stories by far. It's funny (Duggan is hysterical) the Jagaroth are a great villain, and I have memories of watching this episode when it first aired when I was a sprightly seven years old. I would love for them to make a comeback some day. Plus It has all the cliches you could ever ask for from Sci-fi, a mad,camp scientist, a maniacal villain, a plot with earth changing consequences plus I love the Doctor and Romana's interaction in this one. What do other's think of this episode? If you have never watched classic who, may I suggest this episode is a good starting place...

This serial is sooooo on the list of much watch 20th Century Doctor Who. If you watch and don't like this serial, then you probably won't like 20th Century Doctor Who. Oh, and the cameo is worth its weight in gold. :)
  • HestiaHestia Posts: 380
    Forum Member
    Theophile wrote: »
    This serial is sooooo on the list of much watch 20th Century Doctor Who. If you watch and don't like this serial, then you probably won't like 20th Century Doctor Who. Oh, and the cameo is worth its weight in gold. :)

Yet I love C20 Doctor Who, but not this one. 'City' is Mr Hestia's favourite all-time episode, yet with one or two exceptions, I find the whole thing a bit forced. Endless running round Paris as a time- filler (although looking at the bemusement of the Parisians who didn't have a clue who these people were and what they were doing is quite entertaining) and the endless one-liners that never quite come across as spontaneous... It has its moments (like the aforementioned cameo): I wouldn't put it in my list of never-watch, but it's not in my top 20 either. Just goes to show!
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loved the scene where the scientist is aged to death.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 254
    Forum Member
    I watched this a few weeks ago on the Horror Channel, it was amazing, I always had the Mind Robber as my favourite Classic story but I think this one over took it.

Though, I did have one question... How on earth did Romana's hat stay on her head? It was like vertical against the back of her head, it baffled me xD
  • CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'What a wonderful butler,he's so violent '

Best line ever.
  • ocoxocox Posts: 2,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CELT1987 wrote: »

Best line ever.

This story is full of great lines. My all time favorite Tom story, in fact one of my all time favorite Doctor Who ever.
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CELT1987 wrote: »

Best line ever.

seconded...TB at his best!
  • chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mrs Chuff and I went to Paris last month and tracked down the Scarlionis' gaff. Very exciting.

Catherine Schell can do no wrong, and she's on fine form here. I find the Doctor and Romana's flirtily romantic relationship a bit uncomfortable to watch, but otherwise the story is great fun. The music is some of the best ever, especially the "running through Paris" theme.

I once had a long chat with Tom Chadbon over a beer, and he told me some unrepeatable anecdotes about the location filming. Unrepeatable. ;)
  • Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    I loved that line : "He really is as stupid as he looks!" (or words to that effect) by Catherine Schell.
  • Jon RossJon Ross Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hestia wrote: »
    Yet I love C20 Doctor Who, but not this one. 'City' is Mr Hestia's favourite all-time episode, yet with one or two exceptions, I find the whole thing a bit forced. Endless running round Paris as a time- filler (although looking at the bemusement of the Parisians who didn't have a clue who these people were and what they were doing is quite entertaining) and the endless one-liners that never quite come across as spontaneous... It has its moments (like the aforementioned cameo): I wouldn't put it in my list of never-watch, but it's not in my top 20 either. Just goes to show!

I'm with you. I remember when I first saw it, having enjoyed many Pertwee and early Tom Baker stories, and it honestly did nothing for me. I always think it was the Monty Python does Doctor Who story, ie. some very funny lines and acting but more of a comedy than a drama. Having said that, I thought Douglas Adams was completely unsuited to Doctor Who although undoubtedly a brilliant comedy writer on other things. Give me a Hinchcliffe-Holmes Tom Baker story instead anyday!
  • ocoxocox Posts: 2,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This also has Romana in a school uniform:blush::)

Don't think they would get away with it in New Who.
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved that line : "He really is as stupid as he looks!" (or words to that effect) by Catherine Schell.

Countess: i don't think he is as stupid as he seems.

Count: My dear, NO ONE, is as stupid as HE seems!
  • Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    Countess: i don't think he is as stupid as he seems.

Count: My dear, NO ONE, is as stupid as HE seems!

That's the one! Cheers :D
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ocox wrote: »
    This also has Romana in a school uniform:blush::)

Don't think they would get away with it in New Who.

i think this is a reference to Gigi. film version with Maurice Chevalier. Lala is far prettier than Leslie Caron! But basically, yes, an excuse to put Lala into a school uniform.
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this has faults but there was a serious attempt to make the script witty ....... (plot spoiler removed ) ..... not to mention a serious point about the financial vs aesthetic value of great art ......

"thats the original of Hamlet. Shakespeare's handwriting".

"no, mine. i told him "to be or not to be" was ungrammatical ........"
  • DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,931
    Forum Member
    Jon Ross wrote: »
    I'm with you. I remember when I first saw it, having enjoyed many Pertwee and early Tom Baker stories, and it honestly did nothing for me. I always think it was the Monty Python does Doctor Who story, ie. some very funny lines and acting but more of a comedy than a drama. Having said that, I thought Douglas Adams was completely unsuited to Doctor Who although undoubtedly a brilliant comedy writer on other things. Give me a Hinchcliffe-Holmes Tom Baker story instead anyday!

Completely agree. The story did nothing for me and this was the during the period where Tom Baker was allowed far too much influence over his portrayal, so hence we have horrendous over acting, much prefer his toned down performances.