Options

Crime committed abroad??

summertime09summertime09 Posts: 10,013
Forum Member
✭✭
I think I know the answer but, if someone is assaulted abroad can you press charges back in the UK, witnesses also like in the UK??

Comments

• Options
    ba_baracusba_baracus Posts: 3,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I know the answer but, if someone is assaulted abroad can you press charges back in the UK, witnesses also like in the UK??

Seems unlikely.
  • Options
    Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Go and play somewhere else, I have a distressing family situation and idiots like you contributing NOTHING is not welcome!!

Well you aren't going to get much in the way of sensible replies with your one line OP.

Plenty of questions spring to mind:-

What country did this happen in?
    Was it reported to the authorities in that country, if not why not and if so what did they do?
    Is the alleged perpetrator a UK national and now also back here?
    What was the nature and extent of the assault, an assault could be anything from a verbal assault to GBH with intent to a serious sexual assault?
  • Options
    Chuck WaoChuck Wao Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In a nutshell - I wouldnt bother ,irrespective if you can or can't prosecute .Assault is just too minor an offence .It'll be a lot of hassle and money for the best outcome - being a slap on the wrist for the culprit .
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably you could report it to the consulate/embassy of the country and see if they would take it on but for probably a drunken bar brawl or something of that level it'll be too expensive having to get everyone involved to either return to the country or give statements etc to the satisfaction of a judge
  • Options
    duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most crimes should be reported before you leave the country. It can be followed up here and the police provide evidence to that country but any tria letc would usually happen where the crime occured. Unless it's very serious or high profile I doubt anyone will bother on cost factor alone.
  • Options
    QFourQFour Posts: 555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Depends what the crime is. The MET have spent vast sums of money in Portugal.