Options

New TV required. Any suggestions?

mattybmattyb Posts: 1,185
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Well, after just over two years, the Technika 42" HD 3D TV I bought, has decided to have slow death. Only one out of four HDMI's now work and the Freeview is no longer working too. I'm unsure whether this is the norm for these TV's or the Freesat box we had, which turned out to be faulty has done the damage. Anyway, I'm looking for a similar spec TV, any suggestions? I'm looking for something that will hopefully last longer that two years mind ;)

Comments

• Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How deep are your pockets? :)

In general terms at the top of the tree are Sony and Panasonic. Somewhere in the middle are LG and Samsung. Down at the bottom of the pile are the supermarket own brands like your Technika.

Many TVs at the level of the Technika from the major supermarkets, Argos and Currys are likely to be very similar. If not exactly the same set under the skin with just a different badge stuck on at the factory. So performance is likely to be much of a muchness at this end of the market.

So as a step up you might want to look at LG or Samsung. And if you can find enough pennies in the piggy-bank move up to Sony or Panasonic at the top end.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheers for you're input. I've been looking at a 4K LG TV, but will have a good look around :)
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't buy one with one of those silly curved screens.
  • Options
    Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    mattyb wrote: »
    Cheers for you're input. I've been looking at a 4K LG TV, but will have a good look around :)

Just be aware that if you buy one of the current 4k TV's you will need a separate stb for broadcast 4k when available, this is because the new specification is completely incompatible with any of today's TV tuners. DVB UHD phase 1 compatible sets should be out early 2015.
  • Options
    2Bdecided2Bdecided Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deacon1972 wrote: »
    Just be aware that if you buy one of the current 4k TV's you will need a separate stb for broadcast 4k when available, this is because the new specification is completely incompatible with any of today's TV tuners. DVB UHD phase 1 compatible sets should be out early 2015.
    Given that the first "proper" broadcast 4k in the UK will probably be from Sky, you'll need a STB whatever TV you buy.

The ability to receive phase 1 broadcasts terrestrially might be useful for watching some test broadcasts, but the BBC keeps telling anyone who will listen that they won't broadcast UHD until phase 2 is available in about 2018.

This is a repeat of the situation with HD, where early test broadcasts used DVB-T/MPEG-4, but BBC HD launched properly with DVB-T2/MPEG-4 (and was on satellite even before that).

Cheers,
    David.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had a look at a LG 4K TV today. Picture quality was superb, its also the 4K UHD TV. Not bad price for £849. However, as there's very little 4K about, even though Amazon and Netflix have announced 4K in the UK late 2014/early 2015. It doesn't seem worth buying just yet. Might opt for the cheaper LG 3D HD 42" Smart TV for £599 instead, again great picture quality, especially when I saw Panasonic, Sony and Samsung playing along side the LG and it looked better in comparison.
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Had a look at a LG 4K TV today. Picture quality was superb, its also the 4K UHD TV. Not bad price for £849. However, as there's very little 4K about, even though Amazon and Netflix have announced 4K in the UK late 2014/early 2015. It doesn't seem worth buying just yet. Might opt for the cheaper LG 3D HD 42" Smart TV for £599 instead, again great picture quality, especially when I saw Panasonic, Sony and Samsung playing along side the LG and it looked better in comparison.

Where did you view the TVs? It's very difficult to judge TV picture quality in a shop as they are usually set far to gaudy because of the bright lights though to be honest in HD there is often not that much difference between brands for PQ, the biggest difference is likely to be longevity as your previous TV would indicate.
  • Options
    howard hhoward h Posts: 23,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thought 3D was dying a slow and miserable death - a bit like your old Technika?!

If I were buying a new telly now, I'd probably just buy a 32" cheapie or a slightly more expensive smart one to see me through until the '16 Olympics and then see what technology has to offer and throw cash at anything much better. Or even TV providing some decent programmes.

We seem betwixt and between - 3D appears finished and 4K hardly started....with prices to match.
  • Options
    Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member

Netflix started streaming 4k back in April, Amazon are filming in 4k and are aiming to launch their 4k service at the end of 2014.

4k Bluray expected at the end of 2015.

Even considering the above there is very little 4k at the moment, what you have to ask yourself is, can you live with mostly upscaled content (which in the case of bluray looks superb) until more 4k material arrives, or when there is more 4k be happy watching full HD when you could be watching the best of both.

If you are still interested in the 4k TV John Lewis have it on special for £699 - offer ends 15th Sept.

http://www.johnlewis.com/lg-42ub820v-led-4k-ultra-hd-smart-tv-42-with-freeview-hd/p1653110
  • Options
    Lidtop2013Lidtop2013 Posts: 4,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow thats a brilliant price, LG 42'' 4k, smart and freeview hd, id grab that, you'll get a free 5 year warranty aswell, which is worth £££'s in itself.

We got a 42'' LG smart tv(not 4k) at the start of this year, its brilliant, great picture quality connected to skyhd, the smart features are brilliant too. The sound is not bad either considering its a slim tv. Going to get a receiver and 5.1 setup going in the not to distant future when we move house
  • Options
    nic6nic6 Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is one of last years models, a Sony 46" which had great reviews, superior to this years models.
    Forget 4K, it's not happening anytime soon, and when it kicks of on Sky TV it's gonna cost you.
    Originally £1500, John Lewis were selling for £800 and a free 5 year guarantee.
    Stocks have now dried up it appears...

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/kdl46w905a-201311263450.htm
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's the cheapest 42" Samsung or LG Smart TV available? Dont want 3D or 4K!
  • Options
    n_a1n_a1 Posts: 129
    Forum Member
    The Samsung h5500 series.
  • Options
    woppy101woppy101 Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    Their is no point geting a 4k tv in any size under 55-60"(guarantee you won't be able to see the diffrence when fed with a good source) buy a higher quality 1080p tv with your money sony W829 would be my suggestion, this is coming from a 1080p OLED owner which kicks the but of any 4k tv

This is a great tv
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/sony/bravia-kdl50w829/sony-kdl50w829bbu
  • Options
    neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would not even look at getting a 3D TV even though 3D in some films looks very good but that's just me.
    As I posted in another thread on here im thinking about ordering this Samsung TV to replace a 7 or 8 year old Panasonic in the living room http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-dvd-blu-ray/televisions/large-screen-tvs-32-and-over/samsung-ue32h5500-smart-32-led-tv-10002063-pdt.html I already have an older model to this in my bedroom that's a 22 inch that's is coming up for 10 months old and the picture is very good. Sound is also fine.

Darren
  • Options
    ihatemarmiteihatemarmite Posts: 5,605
    Forum Member
    Bought a Sony 46" (don't know model, sorry) a few months back and am v happy with both the picture and sound. My lounge isn't big and I just wired it into my speakers so no soundbar needed. The native sound is pretty ok too for watching normal TV (not music videos).
    Bought from JL as they give longer warranties.