Are there any tablets you can buy which can take a dongle?

bitchboybluebitchboyblue Posts: 2,774
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Perhaps the not the best title for a thread, sorry :)

My laptop broke and i dont fancy getting another. I dont have internet access, and before I was using a dongle on vodafone (but have now stopped).

Now i would quite like to buy a tablet, dont have much to spend, 200 max, but i dont know if there are any which you can use a dongle with. All i need it for is internet, facebook, iplayer etc - im not a gamer so not bothered about flashy graphics.

Is there such a thing?

Comments

• grantus_maxgrantus_max Posts: 2,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps the not the best title for a thread, sorry :)

My laptop broke and i dont fancy getting another. I dont have internet access, and before I was using a dongle on vodafone (but have now stopped).

Now i would quite like to buy a tablet, dont have much to spend, 200 max, but i dont know if there are any which you can use a dongle with. All i need it for is internet, facebook, iplayer etc - im not a gamer so not bothered about flashy graphics.

Is there such a thing?

Do you mean so it'll pick up a wireless signal or hook up to a 3G network?

If it's the former, you won't need a dongle because wireless connectivity is a standard feature of all tablets that I'm aware of. If it's the latter, then you can get tablets that'll pick up a 3G signal but you'll need to get a contract that covers it. Someone else might be better placed to advise on that because I only use wireless on mine.

You can also tether a tablet to a smartphone. You can configure the phone to act as a wireless hub, which the tablet then connects to in the same way it would to a normal wireless router.

Hope that helps...
  • mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe...evidently?
    http://www.broadbandgenie.co.uk/blog/20130102-ask-genie-can-use-mobile-broadband-dongle-nexus-7-other-tablet

I'm sure you'll get more informed replies from more knowledgeable members
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A mobile wifi hotspot (mifi) might be the way to go, rather than a usb dongle...
  • bitchboybluebitchboyblue Posts: 2,774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you mean so it'll pick up a wireless signal or hook up to a 3G network?

If it's the former, you won't need a dongle because wireless connectivity is a standard feature of all tablets that I'm aware of. If it's the latter, then you can get tablets that'll pick up a 3G signal but you'll need to get a contract that covers it. Someone else might be better placed to advise on that because I only use wireless on mine.

You can also tether a tablet to a smartphone. You can configure the phone to act as a wireless hub, which the tablet then connects to in the same way it would to a normal wireless router.

Hope that helps...

Yeah, not wifi, as i dont have a wifi hotspot where i live. Just a standard dongle that slots into the computer and you can use the internet, just like i had with my laptop.

Im not sure about tethering, as although i am with EE and in central London, my internet on my phone isnt great, and has actually got poorer in recent months, god knows why.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, not wifi, as i dont have a wifi hotspot where i live. Just a standard dongle that slots into the computer and you can use the internet, just like i had with my laptop.

Im not sure about tethering, as although i am with EE and in central London, my internet on my phone isnt great, and has actually got poorer in recent months, god knows why.

Doesn't your dongle use the same signal though? Or is it on a different network?

With regards to EE, the problems they've been having is because of mast issues when they merged with T-mobile and they've been taking down masts where they thought there was double coverage. However, that has resulted in poorer reception for some people. Might be worth taking it up with them and reporting your problems.
  • bitchboybluebitchboyblue Posts: 2,774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doesn't your dongle use the same signal though? Or is it on a different network?

With regards to EE, the problems they've been having is because of mast issues when they merged with T-mobile and they've been taking down masts where they thought there was double coverage. However, that has resulted in poorer reception for some people. Might be worth taking it up with them and reporting your problems.

Yeh, my dongle was with vodafone - i cancelled the contract as it didnt work as well as i thought.

I think it looks like a mobile wifi hotspot might be the best way to go.

I am going to speak to EE as i am due an upgrade and i think i may go to 3 as they seem to have more favourable reviews. Plus im paying £42.50 a month for my contract, and i think i can get it knocked down elsewhere.

Thanks for all of the help, much appreciated.
  • len112len112 Posts: 4,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeh, my dongle was with vodafone - i cancelled the contract as it didnt work as well as i thought.

I am going to speak to EE as i am due an upgrade and i think i may go to 3 as they seem to have more favourable reviews. Plus im paying £42.50 a month for my contract, and i think i can get it knocked down elsewhere.

What phone do you have ? I used a MIfi dongle until I realised I could tether my tablet to the phone and achieve the same results .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No problem - can you let us know how you go on as I want to have a try at tethering mine at some point?

Good luck anyway
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 405
    Forum Member
    My Nexus 7 (original) works with a Huawei K3565 3G modem using the PPP Widget available in the playstore.

- the tablet has to be rooted, though.

I've also used the above dongle in a Zoom 4506 'Travel Router'.

- also have tethered.

All 3 methods depend on getting a decent signal, of course.