The Ratings Thread (Part 63)

Comments

• AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy23 wrote: »
    The plus one debates are always fired off by either Robbie or the EastEnders fans

Because it's a legitimate debate. if the +1 figures are recorded properly and not spun then that's fair enough. EastEnders is a different kettle of fish. Because it is a same day showing, I believe that the ratings for BBC3 should be added to BBC1, but I'm not going to elaborate today as I did that last week!
  • AnthonyCAnthonyC Posts: 2,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    I think Broadchurch might have enough to be ahead as there will be timeshift adjustments based on ads being stripped out too.

I agree last nights BC should nudge it in consolidateds but given current trajectory and forum feedback episode 4 is shaping up to be a 'too close to call'.

Is next week's SW the last for the current series?
  • cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AnthonyC wrote: »
    I agree last nights BC should nudge it in consolidateds but given current trajectory and forum feedback episode 4 is shaping up to be a 'too close to call'.

Is next week's SW the last for the current series?

No. There are 5 two part stories so two more after this week.
  • FuddFudd Posts: 166,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    Could I just ask though what do you want BBC1 to show opposite BC? The test card perhaps? :)

The Musketeers? :D

Or their Wednesday programming? Though what I had forgotten about is the FA Cup replays hence one off programming airing there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. There are 5 two part stories so two more after this week.

Thanks cylon. I'm intrigued to see how the 2 series fare over the next 2-3 weeks!
  • yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    Bushmills wrote: »
    Yes, because "everyone on here" is out to get ITV. Naturally.

Well I know I am !! :D
    The level of paranoia on here is fascinating.
  • MarkynottsMarkynotts Posts: 5,255
    Forum Member
    KezM wrote: »
    Have to say I lost a bit of respect for the Beeb when they seem to deliberately want to harm commercial broadcasters. They are lucky they have a pretty protected budget generated by a licence which if you want live TV you have to pay. They are a public service broadcaster and right now they feel like an elephant stamping the little ants with cynical scheduling.

The BBC are protecting their other big drama on BBC Two which starts this Wednesday at 9pm. Not everyone wants to watch Broadchurch, I certainly don't. It's not my type of show, although I do like the genre, the show just doesn't work for me - but that's me.

For the BBC to show something of high quality at the same time is giving viewers a choice. The BBC should not have to shy away from clashing their big shows simply because ITV need a hand in getting the viewers. Take a look over in America. If the big networks all worked the same way, they would be pretty screwed in prime time as no one would be able to show anything.
  • grahamzxygrahamzxy Posts: 11,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ronant wrote: »
    This is a pretty dangerous opinion if you ask me. The BBC does well, has a strong schedule and instead of congratulating them on doing a good job they're the 'big elephant' stamping on the competition. The next thing is people will say the BBC is too big and too powerful, the license fee is shrunk and we get crap not only on ITV but BBC1 too.

The reason for ITV's current poor ratings are all to do with decisions they've made themselves - poor commissions, poor programmes, poor scheduling. Nothing to do with the BBC. Proportionately, the BBC is smaller now than it's ever been.

ITV is a shadow of its former self - turning into Fox USA, they need some outside help or they could implode one day....
  • jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    lewiep93 wrote: »
    Don't know if it's been reported on here but the Comic Relief specials of The Great British Bake Off will be shown on BBC 1 from February for 4 weeks. Makes sense given it's ginormous ratings.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s215/great-british-bake-off/news/a622754/great-british-bake-off-comic-relief-specials-to-return-in-february.html#~p1U5E1WM5bJic9

Thanks I was wondering where that had got to. Wednesdays at 8pm I presume?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Markynotts wrote: »
    The BBC are protecting their other big drama on BBC Two which starts this Wednesday at 9pm. Not everyone wants to watch Broadchurch, I certainly don't. It's not my type of show, although I do like the genre, the show just doesn't work for me - but that's me.

For the BBC to show something of high quality at the same time is giving viewers a choice. The BBC should not have to shy away from clashing their big shows simply because ITV need a hand in getting the viewers. Take a look over in America. If the big networks all worked the same way, they would be pretty screwed in prime time as no one would be able to show anything.

Is there a 'like' button around here? If the BBC are forced to take adverts then you'd really see ITV get screwed as it faced a truly competitive BBC.
  • XIVXIV Posts: 21,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the BBC put Silent Witness on Mondays and Tuesday as it was the best show to compete against Broadchurch and also giving the best opportunities for both Death in Paradise and Wolf Hall. The latter has been a very good slot since there is no drama competition this week at all.
  • BushmillsBushmills Posts: 2,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there a 'like' button around here? If the BBC are forced to take adverts then you'd really see ITV get screwed as it faced a truly competitive BBC.

Competitive not just in content and scheduling terms, but in the selling of advertising airtime, too. ITV's whole business model - centred around it being the only commercial channel where advertisers can reach a truly mass market of consumers very quickly - would be destroyed overnight.
  • guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    lewiep93 wrote: »
    Don't know if it's been reported on here but the Comic Relief specials of The Great British Bake Off will be shown on BBC 1 from February for 4 weeks. Makes sense given it's ginormous ratings.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s215/great-british-bake-off/news/a622754/great-british-bake-off-comic-relief-specials-to-return-in-february.html#~p1U5E1WM5bJic9

Of course the move to BBC One makes sense, but where will it go? FA Cup replays will disrupt it on Wednesday 8pm, I think so anyway, not sure when the next ones will be. Thursday at 8pm is a possibility I suppose, but with EastEnders having to move for sport, they'll be losing the 8.30pm slot. Part of me thinks they should have left it on BBC Two and used it as Wolf Hall's lead in, that could have been a huge night for them.
    Jonwo wrote: »
    I think the BBC put Silent Witness on Mondays and Tuesday as it was the best show to compete against Broadchurch and also giving the best opportunities for both Death in Paradise and Wolf Hall. The latter has been a very good slot since there is no drama competition this week at all.

I agree, I think this is a case where BBC are scheduling what's best for them instead of working around other channels.

I think Broadchurch would be dropping even up against The Musketeers (or whatever it low-rating programme people want BBC to put against it) tbh, maybe not as much but the quality just isn't there this series and that would have had an effect no matter what it's against. I couldn't care less about the legal inaccuracies, but they're pretty much tearing apart everything that worked last series just to get another series out of it and it's a real shame.
  • xeoxeo Posts: 6,429
    Forum Member
    I find it interesting that Stuart Blackburn has been absent from speaking about Anne Kirkbride or Corrie since her sad death. In today's news about filming being postponed it was Kieran Roberts who made a statement which is pretty unusual.

Has H finally got his wish? :p
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,653
    Forum Member
    No officials for last Monday yet? :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »

They seem to be running a day late. The Thursday officials came out Saturday, the Friday officials on Sunday. Something weird has happened with them since shortly after Christmas.
  • ScoreScore Posts: 17,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »

They seem to have been running behind for the past week or so. I guess there must be some kind of lag on the system. I'm intrigued to see how last Monday's clash ended up playing out?

Does anyone have access to a 5 minute breakdown for either last night's or last week's Broadchurch? I'd be interested to see how pronounced the dips for the commercial breaks are. It would give an idea of how much same day timeshifting is going on (my suspicion is quite a lot).
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grahamzxy wrote: »
    ITV is a shadow of its former self - turning into Fox USA, they need some outside help or they could implode one day....

FOX should buy ITV then move Family Guy back to their channel, Make it more watchable overnight.
  • Zac QuinnZac Quinn Posts: 5,172
    Forum Member
    burbe wrote: »
    . I don't think Hayley's death was that much of a bigger storyline.

Rubbish. We heard about little else for weeks beforehand, especially on this thread. Some people were predicting the ratings for the climax episodes would top Sherlock's NYD rating!! Whereas we had few or maybe even no posts bleating on about how wonderful last night's episode had been after it had gone out - although I grant you that the death of one of the show's leading lights was one reason for that.
  • ronantronant Posts: 4,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC predicts a 1.6% share of viewing for BBC One +1.
    To understand the incremental viewing capture of such a channel, we have
    analysed other parent/+1 pairs. Based on this analysis, we believe that a BBC
    One +1 channel will capture c.1.6% of viewing61, of which 70% will be
    incremental as opposed to cannibalised from BBC One. This incremental
    viewing will in part be captured from other BBC portfolio channels, and in
    part from channels broadcast by third parties. In 2017 we forecast the +1
    channel will result in a c.2.5% increase in viewing hours for the BBC portfolio,
    equivalent to an increase in the BBC’s share of viewing of 0.82 percentage
    points.

Lots of interesting stuff in the BBC3 proposal here: http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/bbctrust/assets/files/pdf/review_report_research/service_changes/bbc_three_application.pdf
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,653
    Forum Member
    10,000 BC starts Monday, February 2 at 10pm on Channel 5. Continues on the Tuesday at 10pm.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ronant wrote: »
    The BBC predicts a 1.6% share of viewing for BBC One +1.

There we have it. The great gods (and the BBC) do see a +1 service as a separate channel. End of discussion. Oh wait... :D
  • yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    xeo wrote: »
    I find it interesting that Stuart Blackburn has been absent from speaking about Anne Kirkbride or Corrie since her sad death. In today's news about filming being postponed it was Kieran Roberts who made a statement which is pretty unusual.

Has H finally got his wish? :p

I would have thought last nights CS ratings have cemented him in the job for at least a couple of years.
  • FuddFudd Posts: 166,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Markynotts wrote: »

Saying that, all the major networks are commercial entities looking for a slice of a pie for financial reasons rather than a PSB network which has a guaranteed income.

I know my views are not every popular on here and, as I said before, it would look very different if ITV bothered to show up against BBC One's big shows rather than lie down against them. Before anyone says anything, I wouldn't say Broadchurch v Silent Witness is a case of 'showing up'; it was very obvious Broadchurch was going to take the slot very early on - it's not as though ITV elected to become competitive with Silent Witness.

My personal belief (I hope I don't fall out with anyone else over this) is that BBC One is becoming more and more like a commercial broadcaster without the adverts. Arguably the fragmenting audience and ITV's rapid decline from 2013 is aiding this view but I feel the BBC should be there to compliment commercial networks and err to sometimes air shows, perhaps in primetime, that commercial networks simply cannot afford to do rather than looking to go toe to toe, it feels like all the time.

I'll shut up for now. :blush::blush::blush:
  • MarkynottsMarkynotts Posts: 5,255
    Forum Member
    AnthonyC wrote: »
    There we have it. The great gods (and the BBC) do see a +1 service as a separate channel. End of discussion. Oh wait... :D

Are you mad ! It's one of the topics in here not to discuss - Death, Taxes, Religion, Money and the plus 1 debate .............. all to be avoided for a safe happy life of peace tranquility and copious amounts of :p
This discussion has been closed.