Options

The DS Eurovision General Discussion Thread (Part 57)

Comments

• Options
    penguinpersonpenguinperson Posts: 16,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So what chance Grande Amore being sung in English? "Big Love"? perhaps not. :p;-)

They did say in the press conference they may just translate it. Least Italy have sent something I can hate therefore I am now emotionally engaged with 2015:D
  • Options
    21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    Even my mum has heard of the Punk band in Finland. She YouTubed the song and absolutely loves it :(

Clearly, my taste was inherited from my father's side.
  • Options
    NightFox_DancerNightFox_Dancer Posts: 14,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Italy sounds impressive even though it isn't much to my taste. Not a patch on Emma or Nina but it certainly has a touch of class.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Italy sounds impressive even though it isn't much to my taste. Not a patch on Emma or Nina but it certainly has a touch of class.

Italy are certainly at their best when sending classy, if drunk, women.

It's so impressive to see the trajectory Italian acts have taken -

2011: Newcomer to Sanremo
    2012: Participant in big artist round of Sanremo
    2013: Winner of Sanremo
    2014: One of Italy's biggest domestic stars.
    2015: One of Italy's biggest international exports, wit a Top 10 album in the US charts.
  • Options
    NightFox_DancerNightFox_Dancer Posts: 14,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

2015: One of Italy's biggest international exports, wit a Top 10 album in the US charts.

Then there's us....

2011: Defunct boy band
    2012: Exhumed corpse
    2013: Zombie bride
    2014: Mysterious woman

:D
  • Options
    QuartzManQuartzMan Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Quite surprising for a country who people seem to think aren't a fan of the contest and would hate to win!
  • Options
    Shar_dsShar_ds Posts: 2,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone know the timings for UMK & Melfest on the 28th?

Noticeable that several Finnish facebook friends were watching Melfest last night, not UMK...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Shar_ds wrote: »
    Anyone know the timings for UMK & Melfest on the 28th?

Noticeable that several Finnish facebook friends were watching Melfest last night, not UMK...

They certainly picked the wrong show! Mariette aside, last night's MelFest was dire.
  • Options
    Shar_dsShar_ds Posts: 2,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They certainly picked the wrong show! Mariette aside, last night's MelFest was dire.

I quite agree!

I'm just wondering whether they'll come back to UMK for the final..
  • Options
    rosetta12rosetta12 Posts: 4,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even my mum has heard of the Punk band in Finland. She YouTubed the song and absolutely loves it :(
    So we can expect at least one vote, in the unlucky case that PKN would be chosen :D

So Italy chose some kind of opera act? Wonder how that'd affect Opera Skaala's chances... Though I guess the acts are quite different.
  • Options
    popmusicmanpopmusicman Posts: 2,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So in Lithuania it looks like Vaidas is finally going to get to ESC:. He should win the artist selection given that the song was written for him and even if does not win I would imagine they may go for a duet with Monica or Mia.

I think Vaidas will be very popular in Vienna:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    rosetta12 wrote: »
    So we can expect at least one vote, in the unlucky case that PKN would be chosen :D

So Italy chose some kind of opera act? Wonder how that'd affect Opera Skaala's chances... Though I guess the acts are quite different.

Yep!

Italy's is traditional popera without the electro element of Heart of Light - I don't think they'd nullify one another's votes.
  • Options
    MissMidgardMissMidgard Posts: 5,756
    Forum Member
    LOVE Italy. :eek:

But I don't want to get too attached in case it's not the song they send to Vienna.
  • Options
    stanld03stanld03 Posts: 2,524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just caught up on Italy and Iceland's entries.

Love love love Iceland. :)

Italy... not so much. When I heard it I was unsure whether I liked it or not. :o It's either gonna grow on me until I adore it in Vienna, or stay in the background as a 'meh' entry.
  • Options
    Edwin OkliEdwin Okli Posts: 4,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's quite telling that in Italy Nek got beaten quite hard by Il Volo in the televote but only finished 4% behind them. I don't know if it's because Nek is more of a name in Italy and the juries would have recognised that or if juries at Eurovision will approach Il Volo in a similar way.

Seems like Nek's song is really popular in Italy. It should have won. (Angry.)

The odds of Norway has randomly risen on Betfair. No idea.
  • Options
    penguinpersonpenguinperson Posts: 16,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Edwin Okli wrote: »
    It's quite telling that in Italy Nek got beaten quite hard by Il Volo in the televote but only finished 4% behind them. I don't know if it's because Nek is more of a name in Italy and the juries would have recognised that or if juries at Eurovision will approach Il Volo in a similar way.

Seems like Nek's song is really popular in Italy. It should have won. (Angry.)

The odds of Norway has randomly risen on Betfair. No idea.

Il volo's song was never going to get the jury vote at Sanremo as it is a paint by numbers song.
  • Options
    alwaysanigel247alwaysanigel247 Posts: 6,360
    Forum Member
    phill363 wrote: »
    Are they no longer hiding the songs from melfest and admitting defeat?

Dolly Style have theirs up on Vevo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQdNszj6FP8

Changed it this year, only the finalists are blocked. So AC songs are now released to the public.
  • Options
    kobiashimaruxkobiashimarux Posts: 8,619
    Forum Member
    I've pretty much ignored Lithuania and its endless drawn out selection process, but I have heard the 12 songs and can't quite believe that they have "The Right Way" and "Dangerous" in the Final line-up. The first is so dated and cringe-worthy and the second is like something a Rihanna tribute act would record as an attempt at getting a record deal. I pity Vaidas having to perform both of them.

"This Time" is streets ahead in comparison but last week's result would seem to suggest the "feminist anthem" is the one they'll go for. :(

I gather *this time ^ won its place in Vienna. Just heard it. Its very nice but dont think it will do much.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Lisa.B wrote: »
    Finland is already unblocked. ;) - http://areena.yle.fi/tv/suora/tv2

Well it was when that person was bleeping in the hospital bed at the end of that film, hopefully they've just reblocked it for ads.

That was quite a good show actually, like casualty
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Fudd wrote: »
    Evening all. :)

I don't think I can cope with even more San Remo... though may switch to it once the others have finished!

Most bemusing when you realise this borefest has been running a staggering 65 years

welcome dtd glad to have you with us. I know a few amricans who love eurovision
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Lisa.B wrote: »
    Gotta let the thighs breathe. #Finland

Lol she is madder than a mongoose isnt she. Great thighs.
  • Options
    phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The translator on facebook is a bit off but it does seem like RAI have confirmed Il Volo are off to Vienna

A domanda in conferenza stampa dopo la vittoria al 65° Festival di Sanremo, Il Volo risponde: «Sì! Rappresenteremo l'Italia all'Eurovision Song Contest di Vienna! »

To question in press conference after his victory at the 65 festival of sanremo festival, the flight responds : ' si! dramatization italy in the eurovision song contest in vienna! '
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Rock & Roll Grannies and Generic Swede Ballad are out in #MelFest.

wait till you cop a load of the *richard and Judy * clones from Norway :)
  • Options
    iJSMiJSM Posts: 826
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    phill363 wrote: »
    The translator on facebook is a bit off but it does seem like RAI have confirmed Il Volo are off to Vienna

A domanda in conferenza stampa dopo la vittoria al 65° Festival di Sanremo, Il Volo risponde: «Sì! Rappresenteremo l'Italia all'Eurovision Song Contest di Vienna! »

To question in press conference after his victory at the 65 festival of sanremo festival, the flight responds : ' si! dramatization italy in the eurovision song contest in vienna! '

My very basic level of Italian would translate it to something like "To a question at the press conference after the 65th Sanremo festival, Il Volo responded 'Yes! We will represent Italy in the eurovision song contest in Vienna!'"
    So fb wasn't too bad.
  • Options
    phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wait till you cop a load of the *richard and Judy * clones from Norway :)

Hey you leave Elisabeth Andreassen alone >:(
    iJSM wrote: »
    My very basic level of Italian would translate it to something like "To a question at the press conference after the 65th Sanremo festival, Il Volo responded 'Yes! We will represent Italy in the eurovision song contest in Vienna!'"
    So fb wasn't too bad.

Poor Annalisa never got the chance :(

Wasn't sold on that performance of Goodbye to Yesterday, it looked very similar to how CATS was staged and they should avoid that completely
This discussion has been closed.