12346»

Comments

• Options
    sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Last year I applied for a job and it went as follows -

30 minute telephone interview

Top 8 then had a whole day "interview" which compromised of short interviews with managers, tests and giving speeches

After that the top two or three would need to go back for another afternoon and do further exams and interviews.

I only applied for an accounts assistant job! I got down to the final 8 but never got further. Glad really as I didn't like the sound of it and I got offered my current job a day later!
  • Options
    ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Salv* wrote: »
    I can't drive which is the problem. I worked in London for 2 weeks and spent 190 quid in those 2 weeks on the train. And the house prices! Moving away isn't possible for me hence why im looking within a 10 min train radius.

When I can afford it I would like to get a job in London and live there.

What about a job in a different, cheaper city? Where did you go to university - maybe try around there? In cities other than London, I'm sure you can afford a room in a houseshare if you have a salary.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Salv* wrote: »
    I can't drive which is the problem. I worked in London for 2 weeks and spent 190 quid in those 2 weeks on the train. And the house prices! Moving away isn't possible for me hence why im looking within a 10 min train radius..

You really need to look further than 10 miles away. Bristol, Manchester, Sheffield, Leeds, Glasgow and Newcastle are all great cities with lots of jobs and are much cheaper than Surrey or London.

If you are young, ambitious and don't mind hard work then the world is your oyster. You really shouldn't be limiting your ambitions to a 10 mile radius.
  • Options
    Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Like I said I literally cannot afford it. I had to take out a loan to pay my train ticket to work in London. I can't afford living anywhere else. The only thing I could do is go back to uni and crash at my friends house without paying him until I get a job and get my first pay.

I'd love to live away from where I do and if there was a way, I would. But I don't want to keep asking for money as I will be in major trouble. I don't pay rent at home as its almost frowned upon in the Italian community. Odd I know.

I need starting money to look further away. Then when I have money I can..
  • Options
    itsy bitsyitsy bitsy Posts: 3,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear about the last LONG interview. Hope the one tomorrow is more suited to you. As others have said, all interviews are good practice if nothing else. I know you really want and need to earn a salary but have you considered doing some sort of part-time voluntary work while you're waiting for a paid job. My youngest daughter got a law degree a few years ago and she worked in all sorts of places afterwards - hospitals, school for mentally handicapped children, internships in politicians' offices in our home town and London- (they paid her fares) and our own MP gave her a wage which was very unusual but everything else was unsalaried. She also volunteered for a 'Home from Hospital scheme' for the British Red Cross. These jobs helped her decide what she didn't want to do which was work in law, teaching or politics! But they also gave her very valuable 'life' experience dealing with all sorts of people and situations which helped her gain a place on a midwifery degree course and she is about to qualify in a few weeks. Just another thought - I see you enjoy journalism (so do I and I have an English and Media degree and have worked for a newspaper so have some experience) Might be worthwhile seeing if you can work shadow someone at your local newspaper - for nothing -to get experience. The NCJ do online journalist courses but of course they cost money. Or if you enjoy writing you could try writing and sending a topical article to your local newspaper, for nothing - see if you can get their interest. You never know...Good luck.