Options

Spoiler at the top of this website!

Grand DizzyGrand Dizzy Posts: 7,369
Forum Member
I was recording Strictly Come Dancing to watch later.

Thanks, Digital Spy, for ruining the show for me with your big spoiler banner at the top!

Comments

• Options
    superstar111superstar111 Posts: 18,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Erm well it has finished.
    Makes sense to stay off the SCD forum and news site if you havent seen it yet
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    Does there have to be a banner on every page on Digital Spy telling us who's been voted out? Not all of us watch the programme live but may well be browsing forums while watching the recording.

How about a banner saying Strictly Come Dancing result - click here for more?
  • Options
    Jan2555*GG*Jan2555*GG* Posts: 11,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry you shouldnt come onto a forum board if you dont want to know the result.....its not a spoiler as its been broadcast on the TV
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Erm well it has finished.
    Makes sense to stay off the SCD forum and news site if you havent seen it yet
    I wasn’t on the SCD forum.

I was just reading the thread about Derren Brown when that spoiler popped up.

I’d completely forgotten about Strictly Come Dancing. I just set it to record. I didn’t even think the results would be announced until tomorrow night.

Apparently they’ve changed the format, but how could I know that before I even saw the first episode?

In future, I will know not to ever visit DS if I have any unwatched recordings of high-profile gameshows.
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not a spoiler after it has been broadcast. You are best to avoid an entertianment website which reports on entertianment news in these circumstances so it's plain square your own fault.
  • Options
    feistyfeisty Posts: 2,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I’d completely forgotten about Strictly Come Dancing. I just set it to record. I didn’t even think the results would be announced until tomorrow night.

Apparently they’ve changed the format, but how could I know that before I even saw the first episode?

In future, I will know not to ever visit DS if I have any unwatched recordings of high-profile gameshows.

The wonders of the internet....:rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 81
    Forum Member
    I agree with the OP. Yes, the show has finished but I wasn't exactly expecting it to be announced as breaking news on the homepage!
  • Options
    rickster1995rickster1995 Posts: 5,556
    Forum Member

yay problem solved :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KK21 wrote: »
    I agree with the OP. Yes, the show has finished but I wasn't exactly expecting it to be announced as breaking news on the homepage!

this is an entertianment news website. You expect them not to report on entertianment news? How bizarre...:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Maybe most people watch these programmes live, but a significant proportion of people record everything they watch. I watch hardly anything live.
  • Options
    Abbasolutely 40Abbasolutely 40 Posts: 15,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was recording Strictly Come Dancing to watch later.

Thanks, Digital Spy, for ruining the show for me with your big spoiler banner at the top!

Did you want them to wait till you had watched It ? Even if you wait till tomorrow .?? How dare they !:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe most people watch these programmes live, but a significant proportion of people record everything they watch. I watch hardly anything live.

again, that is your problem not DS's. If people don't watch it live and don't want to be spoiled they need to stay from all entertianment news sites, not just this one. It is not DS's responsibility to check that all of the members of DS forums who want to watch the show have watched it before they post a news story, they would have to wait weeks to do so. It's unreasonable of people to expect them not to post the latest news story as it becomes available to them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    didi-5 wrote: »
    Does there have to be a banner on every page on Digital Spy telling us who's been voted out? Not all of us watch the programme live but may well be browsing forums while watching the recording.

How about a banner saying Strictly Come Dancing result - click here for more?

How long should they wait ? For everyone who recorded it to watch it first ? Tomorrow maybe ? Or next week till those on holidays get back
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *whinge
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    It's not a spoiler after it has been broadcast.
    I’m pretty sure the common definition of a “spoiler” is when someone talks about a work of entertainment and gives away an important or surprising part of it which would spoil the enjoyment for people who haven’t seen it.

It doesn’t matter when the work is released or first broadcast. A spoiler is when you tell someone who hasn’t seen it what happens.

If you had never seen the film “The Sixth Sense” and I told you what happened at the end, that would be a spoiler.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does the BBC Sport website have to put football results on the frontpage? - I wanted to watch the games on MOTD.

Do news channels/internet sites have to mention the latest news? I wanted to read it in tomorrows newspaper.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    again, that is your problem not DS's.
    If I were the only person who recorded programmes, that would be fine. I wouldn’t expect DS to cater to just me.

But surely many people record programmes? Right? I have many friends who record programmes. It’s hardly an unusual thing.

There must be millions of people for whom this kind of thing would be a spoiler for?
    If people don't watch it live and don't want to be spoiled they need to stay from all entertianment news sites, not just this one.
    I don’t visit any entertainment news sites.

I only use DS for the forum. I only came here originally for technical advice.

Crucially, I had no idea they changed the format this year. I wasn’t expecting the result to be announced until tomorrow night’s programme, and I could have no way of knowing until I watched the programme.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I’m pretty sure the common definition of a “spoiler” is when someone talks about a work of entertainment and gives away an important or surprising part of it which would spoil the enjoyment for people who haven’t seen it. QUOTE]

A spoiler is when the ending or some key surprise is disclosed before the programme/film is screened.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I’m pretty sure the common definition of a “spoiler” is when someone talks about a work of entertainment and gives away an important or surprising part of it which would spoil the enjoyment for people who haven’t seen it.

It doesn’t matter when the work is released or first broadcast. A spoiler is when you tell someone who hasn’t seen it what happens.

If you had never seen the film “The Sixth Sense” and I told you what happened at the end, that would be a spoiler.

So by your definition DS should wait till you decide to watch ??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [QUOTE=Grand Dizzy;

Oh for goodness sake just get over it....[/B]you know bombs are dropping in afghanistan!...now that is something to be concerned about
  • Options
    Mood IndigoMood Indigo Posts: 4,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The analogy of a film shown in a cinema doesn't work.

SCD was shown LIVE on national TV tonight. DS reports said event. It's not their problem that you were recording it and didn't know. As others have pointed out, what should DS or other entertainment sites do. Not report live events on the off chance that someone who hasn't seen it might read their site. :D:D
    Now that would be bizarre.
  • Options
    northernsoul54northernsoul54 Posts: 1,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I were the only person who recorded programmes, that would be fine. I wouldn’t expect DS to cater to just me.

But surely many people record programmes? Right? I have many friends who record programmes. It’s hardly an unusual thing.

There must be millions of people for whom this kind of thing would be a spoiler for?

I don’t visit any entertainment news sites.

I only use DS for the forum. I only came here originally for technical advice.

Crucially, I had no idea they changed the format this year. I wasn’t expecting the result to be announced until tomorrow night’s programme, and I could have no way of knowing until I watched the programme.

I agree with you but I would save your breath ...... same thing happened to me last year with something else and I got shouted down from all angles as you are experiencing now!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    American Idol is first broadcast several days before most people in the UK see it.

If DS announced who’s won American Idol a couple of days before it airs on UK — wouldn’t that be a spoiler?

The answer is yes, because a spoiler depends on whether you’ve seen it, not on when something airs.
    So by your definition DS should wait till you decide to watch ??
    I don’t really think DS should post spoilers about TV programmes in the banner at the top of the site.

I think what would be more suitable would be something like: “Strictly Come Dancing results announced! Click here for more.”

If I am the only person who sees this as a problem then perhaps this isn’t a problem. But I suspect I’m not.

The sort of people who have recorded SCD will not be here on this forum right now because they won’t want spoilers. So everyone on this thread is the type of person who doesn’t record TV shows. (I’m only here to point out the spoiler.)

But let me assure you that a great many people do record TV shows. (And don’t want to hear what happens until they’ve seen them.)
    feisty wrote: »
    Oh for goodness sake just get over it....[/[/B]B]you know bombs are dropping in afghanistan!...now that is something to be concerned about
    You go in the Doctor Who forum and post a spoiler and people get very cross.

Maybe the attitude towards spoilers is a bit more relaxed around here?
  • Options
    northernsoul54northernsoul54 Posts: 1,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don’t really think DS should post spoilers about TV programmes in the banner at the top of the site.

I think what would be more suitable would be something like: “Strictly Come Dancing results announced! Click here for more.”

Hear Hear!!

I think we're fighting a losing battle though :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    American Idol is first broadcast several days before most people in the UK see it.

If DS announced who’s won American Idol a couple of days before it airs on UK — wouldn’t that be a spoiler?

The answer is yes, because a spoiler depends on whether you’ve seen it, not on when something airs.

If I am the only person who sees this as a problem then perhaps this isn’t a problem. But I suspect I’m not.

The sort of people who have recorded SCD will not be here on this forum right now because they won’t want spoilers. So everyone on this thread is the type of person who doesn’t record TV shows. (I’m only here to point out the spoiler.)

But let me assure you that a great many people do record TV shows. (And don’t want to hear what happens until they’ve seen them.)

You go in the Doctor Who forum and post a spoiler and people get very cross.

Maybe the attitude towards spoilers is a bit more relaxed around here?

Yes I record all the time , I recorded X factor , but dont expect the world to keep quiet till I choose to watch it