Rotary or Hover Lawnmower

2»

Comments

• LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grumpyscot wrote: »

Wow! Does that really count as news in Scotland?

I have a similar, but smaller, hover mower with a collection box and it does an OK job on a small lawn. I'm not especially lawn proud so I'm not that bothered about a perfect cut.

The problem at the moment is that it won't stop raining long enough to cut the grass.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    Do not always think the big brand company named product are the best lawn mower especially if that company keeps bring out New models each year.Look at a mower that has not changed that much over at least the past 2 years and read the reviews, which are fairly good guide not to become the next victim of a marketing ploy.
    Lawn mowers today are designed like cars the difference is mower manufactures always use cheap parts at least with a new car you can lift the bonnet and see the Engine.
    The price of the lawn mower does not mean its the better mower again. if its a new model this year it will be £140 then in 6 months it will be on offer around £90 to £99 maybe the first sold pay for the cost of returned mowers.
    Sometimes a mower priced around £80 out lasts and performs better than a mower prices £100+ or in a lot of cases where a cheap mower that cost £50 and last 3 years is better than to pay £120+ for a top brand that last just as the 12 month warranty runs out. Remember the warranty starts when you buy it,so example, if you buy the mower in January 2015 then the warranty runs out in January 2016, so one season (5 months) depending on weather means 7 months of the warranty is when the mower is never used buy September to September so you get the full 12 moths cover of use.
    Some big Brand names brag about that lawn mowers their mower are endurance tested? I think their reviews will tell how good they are tested like comment`s,The grass box falling off,the grass box is flimsy or the motor has burned out after little use and if you see those comments stay clear,its not worth being the next Mr or Mrs Jones with egg on your face.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Johnbee wrote: »
    Get a decent quality electric cylinder mower. It will last three times as long as rotary or hovers, and give better results, and is easier to use. Well worth the extra money, and you will be glad you did once a week every spring, summer and autumn for 15-20 years.

^^^

This and also the advice of my friends who looks after village cricket green. You can't beat a cylinder mower as long as the ground is not completely uneven.
    Forum Member
    Cylinder lawn mowers do cut cleaner and the finish is much more superior to Any Rotary lawnmower.But Since Qualcast(Now Chinese owned) in Derby closed there is no domestic electric mower on the market that is very good.Cylinder mowers need to kept on cut that is a knack to do and the average Peron does not know why the`on cut needs to be done to get the clean cut grass finish.
    The Qualcast e-30/35 once a solid ,was metal chassis and then became 99% plastic and it was the end of the road for a decent cylinder mower.So in today`s electric mower market Design comes first over what the product actually does but remember the Designers product on their Lap top wont hit a stone or garden path concrete path.........so look at reviews on impacts and what happened to the mower after.
  • flowerpowaflowerpowa Posts: 24,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tom_Smith wrote: »
    Cylinder lawn mowers do cut cleaner and the finish is much more superior to Any Rotary lawnmower.But Since Qualcast(Now Chinese owned) in Derby closed there is no domestic electric mower on the market that is very good.Cylinder mowers need to kept on cut that is a knack to do and the average Peron does not know why the`on cut needs to be done to get the clean cut grass finish.
    The Qualcast e-30/35 once a solid ,was metal chassis and then became 99% plastic and it was the end of the road for a decent cylinder mower.So in today`s electric mower market Design comes first over what the product actually does but remember the Designers product on their Lap top wont hit a stone or garden path concrete path.........so look at reviews on impacts and what happened to the mower after.

I've been looking to purchase a new Qualcast cylinder mower ready for use this year, but have not seen any advertised, now I know why I can't find one, you've given me the answer. The Qualcast I have at the moment is around 9 years old and although it's working o.k. at present, I was hoping to get a new one, just in case my old one it broke down.
    Forum Member
    To flowerpowa; Your 9 year old Qualcast mower would have been manufactured by Bosch at that time,since then the Qualcast brand name is now owned by a Chinese company so sold in the UK but no longer manufactured here.
    Judging Qualcast(today) their rotary mowers are value for money but their Cylinder mowers do not have so may good reviews and just by looking at them they seem to be too plastic,To have the cylinder way of cutting, i.e,A cylinder needs a bottom blade to be in a solid side plated chassis,so as they are made of plastic then twisting must occur as the mower is pushed along the ground of a lawn and the weight of collected cut grass in the grass box/bag will cause flexing, and that flexing forces the cylinder and bottom blade apart, thus not cutting but ripping the grass or bruising of the grass will be seen.
    The market no longer offer a cylinder mower that once had a good reputation as the once Qualcast concorde E30/RE 30/RE35 apart from petrol professional cylinder mowers.
    The great ting about Original Qualcast cylinder mowers was the close neat cut of 12 mm, where as today's rotary`s mowers cut to the lowest cut of 20 mm which means in a wet spring/summer you will be cutting more times than if you could cut at 12 mm.I think the lawn mower company`s have made 20 mm the lowest cutting setting as they use cheaper and less powerful motors and that saves them money on product cost to produce.
  • flowerpowaflowerpowa Posts: 24,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for your reply, it is very informative.:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, I loved those old Qualcast Concordes! Very distinctive noise. There was a time when you could pick them up for pennies at car boot sales. Something that has practically disappeared nowadays.

I've had 1980/90s Flymos, old Concordes and late 80s/early 90s Black and Decker mowers, they've all been perfectly functional, albeit grass boxes weren't so common back then. Had a late 90s Qualcast System 250 that was crap, but the ground wasn't very level so it wasn't ideal as a kickoff. My brother killed it, along with the early 90s Flymo we had by cutting grass that should really have been strimmed first because it was so long.

Last mower we bought was a Qualcast Easi trak 32 (I think?) and it's brill, Bosch motor. Must be about 10 years old now. I bought a Qualcast rotary for my Granny from Argos a couple of years ago, and the build quality is so cheap and nasty that it makes you want to weep. At that point I assumed the name had been bought by Argos or something and just whacked on any old crap. The founder(s) must be turning in their grave, it's a really nasty mower.
  • Jellied EelJellied Eel Posts: 33,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tango wrote: »

I am not a keen gardener so It will only be used when needed :rolleyes:

How big's the lawn?

http://www.artificiallawn.co.uk/

No mower, just a quick wash & brush up.. :p
    Forum Member
    AnywhereButHome; Yes the Qualcast system mower was rubbish it wast he start of the plastic cylinder mower.The Qualcast Easi trak 32 was the best of its kind as it was over engineered for what was then the cheapest mower of its kind on the market in 1991/2.
    and the demand went well right up to 2007 until it was replaced with a newer model but no where near the Qualcast Easi trak 32 capability and long lasting.lasting. Qualcast was purchased by Bosch in 1995 simply because it wanted add lawn mowers to their power tools range and slowly the Qualcast brand carried the Bosch badge.Around 2009 Qualcast was eventually(once Bosch had slowly got their brands on the market ) sold to a Chinese company as I wrote in an earlier comment.Buying a new mower at the prices they are today is no joke if the customer only gets one or two seasons out of it and then breaks just after the warranty runs out,so its always worth it to think am I buying the Badge or a lawn mower? a lot of well branded lawn mowers clog up simply because of bad design or weaker motor.I know that when Qualcast was manufactured in the UK their mowers were endurance tested not just to cut grass but to take impacts such as stones/dog bones /concrete path edgings thus Qualcast gave a 5 year guarantee and where is that found today with the big brands? simple if your mower kits a stone or any other object on your lawn then the big brands use the get out jail card `Customer Abuse ` and the warranty is void.Every lawn does have stones on may the lawn is near a drive way and each a car will throw gravel/stones on the grass that makes you jump the next time you cut the lawn and wonder where did that stone come from?
    Forum Member
    Tom_Smith wrote: »
    Do not always think the big brand company named product are the best lawn mower especially if that company keeps bring out New models each year.Look at a mower that has not changed that much over at least the past 2 years and read the reviews, which are fairly good guide not to become the next victim of a marketing ploy.
    Lawn mowers today are designed like cars the difference is mower manufactures always use cheap parts at least with a new car you can lift the bonnet and see the Engine.
    The price of the lawn mower does not mean its the better mower again. if its a new model this year it will be £140 then in 6 months it will be on offer around £90 to £99 maybe the first sold pay for the cost of returned mowers.
    Sometimes a mower priced around £80 out lasts and performs better than a mower prices £100+ or in a lot of cases where a cheap mower that cost £50 and last 3 years is better than to pay £120+ for a top brand that last just as the 12 month warranty runs out. Remember the warranty starts when you buy it,so example, if you buy the mower in January 2015 then the warranty runs out in January 2016, so one season (5 months) depending on weather means 7 months of the warranty is when the mower is never used buy September to September so you get the full 12 moths cover of use.
    Some big Brand names brag about that lawn mowers their mower are endurance tested? I think their reviews will tell how good they are tested like comment`s,The grass box falling off,the grass box is flimsy or the motor has burned out after little use and if you see those comments stay clear,its not worth being the next Mr or Mrs Jones with egg on your face.

I see Bosch have a new `looking` mower on the market the Rotak 40-17 Ergo Electric Rotary Lawnmower - 40cm excatly the same model as previous one only they changed the motor cover/rear guard design,just hope the motor last longer than previous model..
  • Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Johnbee wrote: »
    Get a decent quality electric cylinder mower. It will last three times as long as rotary or hovers, and give better results, and is easier to use. Well worth the extra money, and you will be glad you did once a week every spring, summer and autumn for 15-20 years.

Cylinder mowers are really only good on nice flat lawns. I have a Champion Petrol rotery mower and it is around 6 years old now and still working fine, great for the price.