Upset about driving

vintage_girlvintage_girl Posts: 3,573
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi all:) I passed my driving test a few months ago, but have only driven a handful of times since- and it's always been with someone else in the passenger seat, usually a more experienced driver.

I may be starting a new job soon, which is in another town, and public transport isn't really an option. I've done a practice drive with someone directing me, but the thought of doing it on my own terrifies me.

I passed my test in Northern Ireland, and driving there is easier, plus I know the roads. I've also just found out that there's no 45 speed limit for new drivers here, like in NI. This stresses me out, as I'm expected to drive faster, but I don't feel confident going at 60.

I don't really know what advice I'm after, I guess I just want some reassurance. I drive fine when there's someone with me, but on my own I get really scared, as there's no one to bail me out if I take the wrong turn or am unsure about something. I also get really embarrassed when I'm trying to park and make a meal of it. I feel like everyone's laughing at me.

How long after passing your test did it take you to become a confident driver?

Comments

• oscardelahoyaoscardelahoya Posts: 4,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I passed a few months ago and the first thing I did was take myself straight out on the motorway on my own before I had a chance to get scared of it. I just drove up to the next junction turned around and came back.

The more you think about it and put off doing it the more scared you will be. My advice would be when you have some free time, fill your car up and take yourself off somewhere you haven't been before, and just drive around and come home again.
  • Mr ApplebeeMr Applebee Posts: 215
    Forum Member
    I think most people feel this way when they first hit the road solo. You will actually be amazed at how quickly u settle down, I 100% guarantee that in less than a fortnight you will be wondering what the hell you were stressing about. Just drive ultra carefully, don't feel pressured by other drivers to drive faster than you are comfortable with, if someone's driving up your arse just stick to whatever speed you are comfortable with. Take as long as you need when judging when to pull out at junctions and roundabouts. In other words just be careful really, it's good that u feel the way u do , probally better than being too confident.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I passed in March last year, I hate driving.

I've driven long distance and actually prefer motorway driving,I hate driving short distances and avoid it at all costs.
    I hate the clutch on the car, and hate the stupid gearbox (its a sports gear box). I feel like the car is too powerful and I'm scared driving with my son in the back.

I completely understand how you feel :(

I was only saying to my husband this evening that next weekend I need to take the car out for a spin as I really need to nail the clutch, I can't keep avoiding uphill starts forever :o. I was great at uphill starts in my driving instructors Nissan Micra diesel. It was quite a shock going into my husbands BMW 2 litre machine (my first car, its ridiculous) :(
  • scotty22scotty22 Posts: 1,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How long after passing your test did it take you to become a confident driver?

about 2 seconds but i love driving.
  • codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You need to keep driving, stick to places you know.

It does take a couple of weeks before you get used to not having anyone sitting next to you!
  • vintage_girlvintage_girl Posts: 3,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys, I feel slightly better about it now...it's good to know others have felt the same at some point. My bf passed first time, jumped in his car the same day and went for a drive. He loves driving and is really good at it, which makes me feel worse :o I guess I'll have to stick at it...I just drove to Tesco on my own and it was fine...although it was only a 5 minute journey. I'll do more next time though.
  • codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Try and avoid congested stop start driving - queueing and car parks are annoying even when you have been driving for years!

Go out by yourself at a quiet time for a long spin, long straight roads, leave it in 3rd gear for longer than normal and try and have a bit of "fun" when driving.

Driving is actually great fun, when you realise how much independence you now have at your fingertips.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    I passed last year and your not alone. I'm not a confidant driver, my instructor and examiner said my driving was good though. It's def all to do with confidence. There are a lot of arrogant drivers out there. Just take your time and try and relax. My parking is awful, it used to get me down, but I suppose it will get better as it can't get any worse lol
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    Yes def go out on uour own a bit every day till you feel better.
  • PoppylenaPoppylena Posts: 119
    Forum Member
    I thought I'd hate driving. It took me seven attempts to pass my test and even then I could not believe that they were actually trusting me to be in charge of a car all on my own.

My first solo 'journey'? I started the car, tried to manoeuvre out of our narrow cul-de-sac (it involved a lot of going backward and forwards and strangely mutated three-point turns), failing miserably and going back inside the house. Never mind that I'd done the same set of moves on pretty much every driving lesson.

Take it slowly. No matter if you take a wrong turn. I stalled my car on every journey taken over many more weeks then I dare to admit ;) (apparently 13 yr old Micras are hard to stall. Yeah, not mine.) The people behind just had to learn to wait. Practice driving to where this potential job is when you are not constrained by time. Practice driving round your own town where you feel more comfortable. Stick your favourite music on and just drive. Ignore other drivers - it won't harm them to be patient for once.

I passed my test in the June and in the September I drove from West Yorkshire to Skye with only my teenage brother in the car with me (he had a provisional licence at the time so not an experienced driver) and I'm really glad I pushed myself to make that journey. It helped immensely. Absolutely petrifying at first but it allowed me to realise what I (and the car) was capable of.

Now I find I like driving much more than I ever thought that I would.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,405
    Forum Member
    I passed my test in June 2011 and still haven't been on a proper motorway yet. The furthest I've driven alone is 30 miles and that involved going on a large dual carriageway which I hated. I'm also terrible at non bay parking.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poppylena wrote: »
    I thought I'd hate driving. It took me seven attempts to pass my test and even then I could not believe that they were actually trusting me to be in charge of a car all on my own.

My first solo 'journey'? I started the car, tried to manoeuvre out of our narrow cul-de-sac (it involved a lot of going backward and forwards and strangely mutated three-point turns), failing miserably and going back inside the house. Never mind that I'd done the same set of moves on pretty much every driving lesson.

Take it slowly. No matter if you take a wrong turn. I stalled my car on every journey taken over many more weeks then I dare to admit ;) (apparently 13 yr old Micras are hard to stall. Yeah, not mine.) The people behind just had to learn to wait. Practice driving to where this potential job is when you are not constrained by time. Practice driving round your own town where you feel more comfortable. Stick your favourite music on and just drive. Ignore other drivers - it won't harm them to be patient for once.

I passed my test in the June and in the September I drove from West Yorkshire to Skye with only my teenage brother in the car with me (he had a provisional licence at the time so not an experienced driver) and I'm really glad I pushed myself to make that journey. It helped immensely. Absolutely petrifying at first but it allowed me to realise what I (and the car) was capable of.

Now I find I like driving much more than I ever thought that I would.

no offense but u sound like the sort of person who goes 30 in a 50... going slow is just as bad as going fast. I cant stand ppl who drive slow.
  • PoppylenaPoppylena Posts: 119
    Forum Member
    scotty22 wrote: »
    no offense but u sound like the sort of person who goes 30 in a 50... going slow is just as bad as going fast. I cant stand ppl who drive slow.

Oh I can assure you that I am not. The little car and I like a good blast. Can't stand people who go below the speed limit for no reason. Especially in rush hour.

However, I wonder whether you could be the person constantly up my exhaust pipe when I'm doing 40 in a 40 area with speed cameras. That is also annoying. I'm not getting a speeding ticket for anyone.
  • mackaramackara Posts: 4,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Op, just as well you passed you test when you did otherwise you might not have be able to carry passengers, young ones at least and you might have been stuck with those stupid P plates for 2 Years. By the way you do not have to display R/P plates or an MOT disc in Scotland either.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 307
    Forum Member
    I passed in March last year, I hate driving.

I've driven long distance and actually prefer motorway driving,I hate driving short distances and avoid it at all costs.
    I hate the clutch on the car, and hate the stupid gearbox (its a sports gear box). I feel like the car is too powerful and I'm scared driving with my son in the back.

I was only saying to my husband this evening that next weekend I need to take the car out for a spin as I really need to nail the clutch, I can't keep avoiding uphill starts forever :o. I was great at uphill starts in my driving instructors Nissan Micra diesel. It was quite a shock going into my husbands BMW 2 litre machine (my first car, its ridiculous) :(

I think what you're really saying is that you hate driving your husband's 2 litre BMW and that's understandable as it's very different to your instructor's. It's really not a town car, which is why you find motorway driving easier, as you're not having to deal with the stop-start of town driving.

Would it be possible to get yourself a car more like the one you learned in until you get more experience and thus more confidence? You could keep the cost down by getting 3rd party insurance; a smaller engine would also cost less to tax and would be cheaper to run. I have been driving for more than 40 years and I would hate to drive someone else's BMW -especially my husband's (if I had one!).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poppylena wrote: »
    Oh I can assure you that I am not. The little car and I like a good blast. Can't stand people who go below the speed limit for no reason. Especially in rush hour.

However, I wonder whether you could be the person constantly up my exhaust pipe when I'm doing 40 in a 40 area with speed cameras. That is also annoying. I'm not getting a speeding ticket for anyone.

lol the cameras are turned off over here so yeah it is possible if u drive in essex ;). they turned them off cos it was costing too much. most ppl think they are still on tho..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scotty22 wrote: »

Urgh, this is exactly what I'm worried about. There's a really bendy road that I have to drive on, where the speed limit is 60. Even going at 45 is a struggle for me, as I feel like I'm going to plough into the sharp bends. I usually go between 37 and 40, and people just have to deal with that. It's better than crashing.
  • mackaramackara Posts: 4,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Urgh, this is exactly what I'm worried about. There's a really bendy road that I have to drive on, where the speed limit is 60. Even going at 45 is a struggle for me, as I feel like I'm going to plough into the sharp bends. I usually go between 37 and 40, and people just have to deal with that. It's better than crashing.

40 mph is a reasonable speed to be doing in a 60 mph zone, drive to the conditions of the road/weather conditions and remain inside your comfort zone until you gain more experience. The posted speed limits are the max allowed but you do not have to drive at them no matter what anyone says.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Exactly! Bloody people who think they're so important that they have to get everywhere quickly. Just ignore the ones who drive up your bum, as long as you're not going super slow it doesn't matter.
    You will get used to it, I think if you're not at least a wee bit nervous then there is something wrong. Let us know how it goes.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mackara wrote: »
    40 mph is a reasonable speed to be doing in a 60 mph zone, drive to the conditions of the road/weather conditions and remain inside your comfort zone until you gain more experience. The posted speed limits are the max allowed but you do not have to drive at them no matter what anyone says.

Yeah you're right...I've done the drive at night, in the rain, and then I even slow down to 35...I'm always really paranoid that the other drivers are cursing me, and I'm always getting overtaken (although that doesn't bother me too much).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jenbonjovi wrote: »
    Exactly! Bloody people who think they're so important that they have to get everywhere quickly. Just ignore the ones who drive up your bum, as long as you're not going super slow it doesn't matter.
    You will get used to it, I think if you're not at least a wee bit nervous then there is something wrong. Let us know how it goes.:)

I will do! I have to drive tomorrow morning, although bf will be coming with me as I'm still not 100% confident about directions. I might buy a sat nav actually!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

no a sharp bend is fine it is when u have a minute near 50 straight and ppl drive 35 that makes me mad if i have to get back.
  • NP73NP73 Posts: 258
    Forum Member

Buy an automatic.
  • JigglyBallJigglyBall Posts: 1,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am the same, I passed my test about 4 months ago, got a car late last year but I still can't really go much further than my local area (although I have on a couple of occasions). I get really flustered with traffic - I live close to the City in London, so it's really unavoidable. And I am terrified of speed/red light cameras, pedestrians jaywalking and pushbikes. It makes driving an unpleasant experience for me. And my parking needs a lot of work!

I seem to be progressing slowly unlike everyone else I know, who just took to it no problems at all. But the main thing I was told is not to give up. So maybe my this time next year I'll be a pro! :D
  • elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    best thing I did was get in the car on my own the first time round, no one there to hold my hand or make comments it was the best advice my Instructor gave me. I also went on a drive into London a week or so after passing my test, that in itself gave me all the confidence I needed to handle driving at speed and in busy road conditions.

To get confidence you have to drive without people.