You never see athiests doing this!

Comments

• sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Evo102 wrote: »
    Closer to home, I am yet to have an atheist knock on my door and try and sell me their way of thinking.

Comforting isn't it? If only the religious could be confident enough in their belief to indulge in it singularly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ishina wrote: »
    The faith, dogma, and fanatical devotion to a figurehead that we usually have in mind when referring to Stalinism, Maoism or Nazism seems to me to have more in common with religion than it does with atheism.

Precisely.
  • dellydelly Posts: 10,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The faith, dogma, and fanatical devotion to a figurehead that we usually have in mind when referring to Stalinism, Maoism or Nazism seems to me to have more in common with religion than it does with atheism.
    sutie wrote: »
    Precisely.

Rubbish
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    delly wrote: »
    Rubbish

Fed up of endless deep, meaningful replies are we?
  • KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    You never see athiests doing this!

atheists
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sutie wrote: »
    Fed up of endless deep, meaningful replies are we?

"Precisely."
  • dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    But did any of them have adulterers stoned to death?

I've no idea - I do know that the Khmer Rouge wiped out a 1/4 of the Cambodian population in three years through executions and concentration camps and guess what - no God involved!!
  • ishinaishina Posts: 4,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rubbish
    A compelling argument. I see your point.
  • KarlSomethingKarlSomething Posts: 3,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Theism isn't a world view either. For example, one may believe in a non-interventionist god.

No-one his ever been killed in the name of theism, but rather theistic belief systems. The same is true of atheism.

I agree it's better to compare atheism to theism, rather than to Christianity, Islam, or Sunni Islam, Catholicism, and such.
  • PerpetualAscentPerpetualAscent Posts: 484
    Forum Member
    dosanjh1 wrote: »
    I've no idea - I do know that the Khmer Rouge wiped out a 1/4 of the Cambodian population in three years through executions and concentration camps and guess what - no God involved!!

So concentration camps are bad, but stoning adulterers to death, amputating the hands and feet of thieves and crucifying "highway robbers" is good. Double standards much?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PrimalIce wrote: »

That was still driven by a singular ideology...communism like ideologies that want ultimate control and think they have the right way to lead one's life they will attempt to remove the competition. Either religions trying to remove other religions or other ideologies removing other ideologies.

Atheism is merely not believing that gods exist...if atheists were doing such a thing to make other people not to believe in gods that would be different...but they don't.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Correct, no god was involved...another ideology was: Communism and done in the name of Communism.
  • Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    They don't have time to do that, they're too busy doing it on internet forums and youtube. :D

:D:D .
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But did any of them have adulterers stoned to death?

Tell me you are not sticking up for Pol Pot!? Where an estimated 3 million people out of a population of 8 millions died during his 3 year reign. Sarcasm I take it?
    Forum Member
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_fallacy
    An association fallacy is an inductive informal fallacy of the type hasty generalization or red herring which asserts that qualities of one thing are inherently qualities of another, merely by an irrelevant association. The two types are sometimes referred to as guilt by association and honor by association. Association fallacies are a special case of red herring, and can be based on an appeal to emotion.[citation needed]

I'm an atheist. The spelling is important because it defines scope. The above quote illustrates what's out of scope.
    Forum Member
    Voynich wrote: »
    Tell me you are not sticking up for Pol Pot!? Where an estimated 3 million people out of a population of 8 millions died during his 3 year reign. Sarcasm I take it?

Why would I stand up for Pol Pot?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ulsterguy wrote: »
    Clashes over Bangladesh protest leave '15 dead'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-22423815

Chanting "Allahu Akbar!" ("God is greatest!") and "One point! One demand! Atheists must be hanged", the activists marched down at least six main roads as they headed for Motijheel, AFP news agency reported.

Athiests may have many faults, but we've never demanded the religious hanged.

Two points. Athiests (well some of them) have killed, imprisoned and caused untold suffering throughout the world just like som religious nutters have (whatever religion you might mention. Even Budhidsts are proned to committing suicide by setting themselves on fire.
    Point two I am a Christian and I am not at all religious(in the sense of following ritualised or patterns of behavioue to get me intouch with God. My Christian faith is rather more like a friendship/relationship than anything else. I have been a Christian for all of my adult life and have worked to make the world a better place for everyone. My life isn't about me getting into heaven and/or avoiding hell by doing or not doing things, my life is more abouthelpingothers (not for browny points with God, or other people) but because it is the right thing to do.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rubbish
    A compelling argument. I see your point.

Jolly good. Then, we are both agreed that your opinion was rubbish.
  • dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    So concentration camps are bad, but stoning adulterers to death, amputating the hands and feet of thieves and crucifying "highway robbers" is good. Double standards much?

I never said it was good.
    alfster wrote: »
    Correct, no god was involved...another ideology was: Communism and done in the name of Communism.

An ideology where atheism was a component.
  • ishinaishina Posts: 4,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jolly good. Then, we are both agreed that your opinion was rubbish.
    Sarcasm is wasted on you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Mainly due to the fact that the ideology had another figurehead rather than a god for people to laud over. The ideology required that the figurehead be Earthly and real rather than invisible.
    Forum Member
    I never said it was good.

I'm pretty sure you once said that those laws should be introduced to Britain. Why are they okay but the terrible things that Stalin and Pol Pot did not?
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why would I stand up for Pol Pot?

You were being sarcastic? It's difficult to tell online at times!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Two points. Athiests (well some of them) have killed, imprisoned and caused untold suffering throughout the world just like som religious nutters have (whatever religion you might mention. Even Budhidsts are proned to committing suicide by setting themselves on fire.
    Point two I am a Christian and I am not at all religious(in the sense of following ritualised or patterns of behavioue to get me intouch with God. My Christian faith is rather more like a friendship/relationship than anything else. I have been a Christian for all of my adult life and have worked to make the world a better place for everyone. My life isn't about me getting into heaven and/or avoiding hell by doing or not doing things, my life is more abouthelpingothers (not for browny points with God, or other people) but because it is the right thing to do.

http://www.investigatingatheism.info/definition.html

I think you and I might have a different view of atheism than some atheists. For you and I it means a theism a position that simply denies the belief in God/gods. For some aatheists it appears to be something quite different eg even dictatorships and cruel regimes can be compared to our belief in God. (even though God doesn't exist). Because nothing is done in the name of a theism.

Now if you can work that one out maybe you can explain it to me. It appears to me that some a theists just want to absolve themselves of any crimes against humanity whatsoever.
    Forum Member
    Athiests <snip>

Atheist

FFS! If you're going to talk about such as I, spell the word properly because the spelling encapsulates what being atheist is.

It's from Greek. "Without God". That's all. I have morals, ethics, empathy ... politics ... vices ... and a Crystal Palace season ticket. None of which defines me as atheist.