Thunder and lighting storm watch

Comments

• ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    Some amazing photos & video taken during last night's storm in the North East
    http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/amazing-video-best-hail--9572328
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two things you DO NOT want to be doing inside your home when a thunderstorm is happening above your head or even quite nearby and that is to be on the telephone and also taking a bath. Both could prove deadly if the house got struck. Also make sure all windows are firmly shut, as lightning bolts tend to seek out slight openings given a chance.

A quieter night across the UK tonight than was forecast previously, but it seems that from Friday late afternoon and evening onwards there could be some storms breaking out widely across England & Wales moving northwards overnight into the early hours of Saturday as humidity rises again.

Tonight is pleasantly fresh!
  • SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wind getting up here, should be rainy around 2am til 5am
  • ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    Thunder, lightning and rain in SE London.
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's getting cooler off the Humber....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A mini storm in Blackpool but missed Preston.
  • AdsAds Posts: 37,055
    Forum Member
    Lots of lightning in North london but oddly no thunder or rain
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can see it in London via tower bridge cam
    http://www.ustream.tv/towerbridge
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ads wrote: »

Yep, that "lightning and no thunder" phenomenon was also reported in the North of England storms a couple of days ago.

Generally, the lower the cloud base the louder the thunder, and vice versa. Cloud to Earth lightning always produces the loudest thunder.
  • FortyTwo25FortyTwo25 Posts: 5,170
    Forum Member

I was wondering what was happening
  • Paul237Paul237 Posts: 8,654
    Forum Member
    Nothing here in the Midlands. I think we're forecast rain but not necessarily thunderstorms.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paul237 wrote: »
    Nothing here in the Midlands. I think we're forecast rain but not necessarily thunderstorms.

I wouldn't count them out yet, where you are.
  • jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was bizarre in NW England the other night. I would describe the Thunder as an almost constant rumbling sound for around an hour although it certainly wasn't loud despite the amazing lightning show going on overhead. Never seen so much lightning before. Hardly any rain either just a brief shower including some large hail.
  • TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, at long last we have lightning!!!.:D
  • AdsAds Posts: 37,055
    Forum Member
    It's a pretty spectacular lightning show in North London, been constant for well over 30 minutes
  • gothergother Posts: 14,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Windy here in Wolves but no storms.
  • zantarouszantarous Posts: 2,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Had a few burst of thunder to begin with, poor kitten didn't know what that was and dived for the nearest hiding place.
  • ee-ayee-ay Posts: 3,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Due to lightening, powercut North Romford for about 40 minutes, Went off just before midnight came on about 00.34.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thunderstorm here in Wolves the thunder sounds wierd.
  • Wolfman13Wolfman13 Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gother wrote: »
    Windy here in Wolves but no storms.

You were saying. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wolfman13 wrote: »
    You were saying. :D

:D was a quick one only lasted 15 minutes lol but by looks of radar cells are cropping up all over the west midlands so might get a few more :D
  • and101and101 Posts: 2,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was a heavy storm rolling across south Dorset about an hour ago. Lightning was striking several times a second and the rain was heavier than I have seen it in years. I went out for a drive to see what the damage was like and there are bits of road washed away all over the place and several inches of surface water. The drain lids had lifted as well which made driving a bit dodgy as you couldn't see some of the drains under the flooding.
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First major storm of the summer has just hit Newport Pagnell in North Bucks at 1am with frequent lightning and thunder alongside a period of torrential rain making gutters overflow like waterfalls. Slight lull but more lightning with severe forks appearing from the south. Seems like quite a collection of thunderstorms have built up late tonight.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another storm rolling into Wolves now.
  • HeartacheHeartache Posts: 4,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a pretty spectacular lightning show in North London, been constant for well over 30 minutes

And really heavy rain in Central London too, thunder rolled away and the rain stopped. Thunder with lightening came back at about 01.15 huge crashes, and lightening lighting up sky outside, with more very heavy rain.

Always makes me nervous as l live in a deep basement flat, always worried about flooding.