Gutted!!!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
Forum Member
My HP Stream 7's officially dead!
the rain started pouring down just as I was leaving work last night and I had the said Tablet PC in my body warmer pocket and down it Won't charge up or come on.
By the time I got home it was too late to start messing around with rice (does putting a wet mobile phone in rice actually work?) and there wasn't any in the house and the battery couldn't be removed anyway,
So I've (temporarily) gone back to using Pocket PCs (good job I hung on to them).
Ideally my next tablet'd be a Windows tablet but failing that, it'll have to be an Android one. Either way, I'm gutted!!

Comments

• CosinCosin Posts: 765
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry to hear that
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    leave it alone to dry out nice and slowly for about a week before turning it back on and see if anything happens, its always possible its shorted out and sometimes if you're feeling brave you can pop open the back and clean it all up and see if it'll work but given its probably now a cheapo end tablet its not worth too much crying over
  • shaddlershaddler Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A minute's silence for Motsy's tablet please.
  • farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry for your loss Motsy lad.
    I've got one of those HP tablets too.
  • ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    ✟rip⁣
  • AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poor you.

The uncooked rice thing does work though. Leave it submerged in a bowl of uncooked rice overnight then try it.

I once dropped my mobile in a basin of water and bleach and thought it was absolutely gubbed. It eouldn't turn on or anything but after leaving it overnight in the rice, it was as good as new.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    leave it alone to dry out nice and slowly for about a week before turning it back on and see if anything happens, its always possible its shorted out and sometimes if you're feeling brave you can pop open the back and clean it all up and see if it'll work but given its probably now a cheapo end tablet its not worth too much crying over

Good job it was only ninety quid and isn't one of the big name ones the media idealists assume everybody has like the latest one from Samsung or Apple.
    Should I risk getting it seen to (I could end up with a cowboy job being done on it) or not or start saving for a new one?
    What would you lot do?
  • Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    motsy wrote: »
    Good job it was only ninety quid and isn't one of the big name ones the media idealists assume everybody has like the latest one from Samsung or Apple.
    Should I risk getting it seen to (I could end up with a cowboy job being done on it) or not or start saving for a new one?
    What would you lot do?

Give the rice thing a try to see if that works. As it was only £90 a repair could cost more than it's worth - get some estimates first.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    Maybe I'd be better off getting a new one in case a cowboy does a 'repair' jon which renders it FUBAR.
    When I got home it was too late to try the rice trick (It was already raining as I was leaving work last night and HAD to walk home in it and there wasn't any rice in the house anyway).
    I DIDN'T KNOW IT WAS GOING TO RAIN DID I??