'Yooka-Laylee' From The Guys who brought you Banjo Kazooie

DavonatorDavonator Posts: 4,409
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Quite an interesting story this one, a team of people who used to work at RARE in their N64 heyday have launched a Kickstarter for a new 3D platformer, 'Yooka-Laylee'.....which is essentially a spiritual sequel to the N64 Banjo Kazooie/Tooie of old.

In only 40 mins it reached it's target...I do hope it's good! It certainly echoes those 3D platformers from back in the day, and you can clearly see the elements of Banjo in there

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/playtonic/yooka-laylee-a-3d-platformer-rare-vival

Comments

• RobertfitzRobertfitz Posts: 2,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't wait for this. Banjo is an incredible game 🙈
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On PC, sweet.
  • gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    Wow its already at over 1 million.
  • Ash_735Ash_735 Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member
    So nice to see a UK Company do so well on KickStarter, ex-RARE have a lot of talent that was going to waste in recent years, and to thinkm, the higher ups said no one wanted this kind of game anymore!
  • OMTTOMTT Posts: 5,459
    Forum Member
    MS will be kicking themselves that they never got the team to do a proper Banjo game after seeing how big a success the Kickstarter has been already.

Banjo Kazooie is one of my favourite ever games & I am really looking forward to it's release.
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    OMTT wrote: »
    MS will be kicking themselves that they never got the team to do a proper Banjo game after seeing how big a success the Kickstarter has been already.

Banjo Kazooie is one of my favourite ever games & I am really looking forward to it's release.

Would they ? I mean it's only a million dollars, which is nothing for a AAA game. But a lot for a small company.

Hopefully we will see a return to platforming. Maybe a new Crash Bandicoot too.
  • DandemDandem Posts: 13,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yuffie wrote: »

Honestly, I wouldn't want to see another Crash Bandicoot game if it wasn't developed by Naughty Dog.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't believe how much traction this has gained! They've had to add more Stretch Goals I think.
  • RobertfitzRobertfitz Posts: 2,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So ****ing excited arghhhh
  • Bio MaxBio Max Posts: 2,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yuffie wrote: »
    Would they ? I mean it's only a million dollars, which is nothing for a AAA game. But a lot for a small company.

They should be kicking themselves. The interest this game has garnered is evidence for me of what fans want.
  • KevinessKeviness Posts: 2,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This game is going to be huge, hope it lives up to expectations.
  • DavonatorDavonator Posts: 4,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reviews are in and the game seems good but not spectacular. Shame really as I guess this means the great 3D Platform revival won't be on. In partial defence of the game though the RRP is only £29.99 so they should get some slack for being a budget title imo.
  • ShotDownInFlameShotDownInFlame Posts: 5,671
    Forum Member
    edited 05/04/17 - 21:36 #15
    Jim Sterling has absolutely ripped it to SHREDS.

He gave it a 2/10.

He backed the game so he must have been looking forward to it to some degree, however, he's said in his review that he finds the game borderline unplayable to the point where he was tempted to call it a day part way through and review the game (incomplete) sans a score, which would have put it in a very unique club of games that he finds so fundamentally awful that he couldn't finish. However he powered through and basically says the level design is atrocious, both Yooka and particularly Laylee are fundamentally unlikeable (as are a not unreasonable number of NPCs), the combat is tediously monotonous, the camera is one of the worst to grace videogames since the late 90s and the platforming is quite finnicky and you often can't see where you're going to be landing with your jumps. He finishes up by saying all these things coming together makes this game a frustrating chore and sums up by saying "Yooka Laylee is in a word - rubbish".

http://www.thejimquisition.com/yooka-laylee-review/

It's worth pointing out though that this is arguably the most divisive game I think I've ever seen, Jim game it a 2, Let's Play Videogames gave it a 3.5 and Videogamer gave it a 4/10, elsewhere it's been getting a decent number of 5s, 6s and 7s (including from IGN) and it's even managed to pull in a few 8s, 9s and 9.5s/10. It is honestly baffling to me how split the critics are on this thing.

I myself have backed it, I received an email today from Playtonic saying that my physical copy has already been shipped and should actually be here any day now, but I also played it at EGX last weekend and - keeping in mind this is my thoughts from a 20 minute demo - I can totally understand why so many critics are ragging on confusing and occasionally bad map design, the map they had on show at EGX was absolutely all over the place and I just felt there wasn't really any cohesion pointing me in a direction, but rather running aimlessly until I happened to stumble across collectibles. And I don't mean that in a "Its your standard collectathon fair", I mean that in a "The map design from what I saw really is bad", so I'm curious to see if the full game can at least change my mind on that front.
  • DandemDandem Posts: 13,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's worth pointing out though that this is arguably the most divisive game I think I've ever seen, Jim game it a 2, Let's Play Videogames gave it a 3.5 and Videogamer gave it a 4/10, elsewhere it's been getting a decent number of 5s, 6s and 7s (including from IGN) and it's even managed to pull in a few 8s, 9s and 9.5s/10. It is honestly baffling to me how split the critics are on this thing.

In other words, this is one of those games where reviews are meaningless to the reader. Unless you trust a specific source wholeheartedly, you'll never be able to gauge whether you think you'll like the game or not. The only way to find out would be to actually play it.
  • DavonatorDavonator Posts: 4,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They've released a day one patch which the reviewers didn't have, whilst that won't transform the game it might tighten up a few of the small issues that were being complained about.
    Forum Member
    Dandem wrote: »

In other words, this is one of those games where reviews are meaningless to the reader. Unless you trust a specific source wholeheartedly, you'll never be able to gauge whether you think you'll like the game or not. The only way to find out would be to actually play it.

If I hadn't backed it, after playing it at EGX Rezzed last weekend I think I would have passed on it, very underwhelming demo for me personally, and I'm a huge fan of Banjo, Conker, Mario, Ratchet, Jak, Crash, Spyro, Croc, Gex and the like. But as I've got the full game inbound anyway, I'll keep an open mind and just hope that they picked a poor level to represent the full game.
  • snafu65snafu65 Posts: 18,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    edited 06/04/17 - 12:05 #19
    I had a mild interest in it but nothing more. The reviews haven't done anything to change that, I'll probably wait until it pops up in a sale or something a few months down the line.
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read a review on Gamespot that gave it a 6/10. Not good or terrible. Going off what I have seen of it it's going to be a mediocre release with too many other good games to choose over it.
  • OMTTOMTT Posts: 5,459
    Forum Member
    It's a game I'll get too eventually once. With Persona 5 just released, this'll need to take a back seat for a while and should be reduced by then. If this came out before Persona, I'd have bought this first and played through it but it's just a bad time with so many big games released recently
  • ScousingScowlerScousingScowler Posts: 934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really looking forward to this game. Rare just haven't been the same since Microsoft bought them.
    Forum Member
    My copy of Yooka Laylee just arrived today. I'm on the cusp of getting the platinum tropy for Horizon Zero Dawn so I'm not playing it yet but I'll jump into it tonight and post up some thoughts tomorrow.
    Forum Member
    Just fully completed the first level, after expanding it too so I guess that counts as 2 levels.

I don't really know what to think, I'm not hating it by any means but I can't say I enjoy it either. It's essentially taken the Banjo Kazooie formula beat for beat but made it 100x more frustrating. HIt detection is apalling, the camera work is some of the worst I think I've EVER experienced in a video game and even the platforming itself is broken with Yooka falling straight through platforms I otherwise should have landed on.

So yeah... 4/10 so far.
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An all singing and dancing Conkers Bad Fur Day upgrade would interest me. Yooka Laylee sounds like a run of the mill unimaginative miss.
  • JimezJimez Posts: 187
    Forum Member
    I've decided to treat Yooka Laylee as a game i'll play between sessions of other games, like Persona 4 and Mafia 3. I'm feeling signs of the magic that made Banjo Kazooie great, but it's lacking something that made it great. Camera is frustrating, controls are a bit jaggy and some moments are just damn frustrating.