Options

Your most regrettable purchase?

Aye UpAye Up Posts: 7,053
Forum Member
Has there been a game, accessory or even console/pc you regretted after purchasing?

For me it was Bayonetta, at the time I didn't have many decent games for my PS3 and plopped for this one as reviews were positive not scorching. I only had the game 48 hrs before I returned it to HMV. It wasn't my cup of tea, at the time I was used to more family friendly titles like Mario Kart and Little Big Planet, I didn't have an aversion of games like Bayonetta, I just never got it. I am a bit reticent against manga/anime influenced titles like Bayonetta, being honest I am not a fan of Japanese gaming at large, was never a fan of Final Fantasy, Resident Evil and the like.

I am thankful that last generation and current generation platforms smashed through the old system of only the best games came out of Japan. I think what has happened is games are made multilaterally across the world, this has afford games like the AC series to offer a different perspective (although I would discount Unity for its failings).

So far of Xbox One and PS4 I haven't bought anything that I regret, several games are testing me in terms of difficulty, I am a pussy I go for the normal option couldn't care less about Achievements and Trophies. Point I am making is this generation is turning out to have produced some stellar titles even this early into its short existence.

So whats your worst purchase?

Comments

• Options
    Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    My Wii U. It just doesn't get used.
  • Options
    Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vita wasn't a good investment at all
  • Options
    Mark AMark A Posts: 7,692
    Forum Member
    Head and shoulders above all else for me would be Doom 3. Such an astonishing let down after what had come before. I think expectation being so utterly dashed is probably the worst part.

Regards

Mark
  • Options
    Dalekbuster523Dalekbuster523 Posts: 4,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I was younger, I bought Ben 10: Protector Of Earth on PS2. It was by far the easiest game I'd ever played. No challenge whatsoever.
  • Options
    JimallJimall Posts: 408
    Forum Member
    Recent purchases, it's got to be Super Smash Bros for Wii U. I kind of knew what to expect when I bought it (even though I'd never played a Super Smash game before), I was just hoping I was missing something. Nope, not my thing at all... I really don't understand the hype.

Another recent purchase, GTAV. Again, I knew what to expect but as gaming tastes can change over the years I decided to give the GTA series another punt. I appreciate the game and what must have gone in to making it but sadly I just can't get in to it. Odd though, because if I were to explain the kind of games I enjoy you'd probably recommend GTA.
  • Options
    DavonatorDavonator Posts: 4,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jimall wrote: »
    Recent purchases, it's got to be Super Smash Bros for Wii U. I kind of knew what to expect when I bought it (even though I'd never played a Super Smash game before), I was just hoping I was missing something. Nope, not my thing at all... I really don't understand the hype.

I think Smash Bros really comes into its own in offline multiplayer. With 2 or 3 friends its a lot more fun than single player IMO.

For me probably Destiny- on paper Destiny has it all, it's pretty, the gunplay is good, the art direction and production values are massive....but it all seemed a bit soulless to me.

PS Move- It just hasn't really been supported. I used it for HOTD Overkill on PS3, and theres a really fun underrated game for it called Tumble that I played for a couple of hours...that's about it. I hear PS Move might get a new lease of life as a Morpheus controller though.
  • Options
    Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aye Up wrote: »
    For me it was Bayonetta, at the time I didn't have many decent games for my PS3 and plopped for this one as reviews were positive not scorching. I only had the game 48 hrs before I returned it to HMV. It wasn't my cup of tea, at the time I was used to more family friendly titles like Mario Kart and Little Big Planet, I didn't have an aversion of games like Bayonetta, I just never got it. I am a bit reticent against manga/anime influenced titles like Bayonetta, being honest I am not a fan of Japanese gaming at large, was never a fan of Final Fantasy, Resident Evil and the like.

I'd have to go with Bayonetta too. But I can beat your 48 hours. Was off work one day and after seeing the glowing reviews decided to get it that morning, around 10am. Went home played it for about an hour and a half. Took it back at lunch time. I just immediately didn't like it.

Other terrible games I wanted rid of right away.
    Grid 2 - not a patch on the first and found it frustrating.
    Aliens: Colonial Marines - only paid £4 but... Jaysus.

Almost on that list.
    Project Cars - I am not getting along with it at all. So much so, I have uninstalled it. It's not that I find it difficult. I've only lost 1 race so far. But the erratic controls (X1) and annoying sound have pissed me off. Will see if the patch resolves anything before trading in.
  • Options
    Will_BennettsWill_Bennetts Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Despite everyone moaning about ps4 games I've been pretty lucky really . Probably the only bad game I've bought was the new sniper elite game (and tbh it was better than the last one on ps3. On ps 3 worst game I played was Assasins creed 3 . Rage and duke Nukem forever
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alien Isolation - My own fault really, brought it for the atmosphere which was great, but really knew the game itself wasn't for me.
  • Options
    SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vita wasn't a good investment at all

Same! :blush: (& the PSTV comes a close 2nd) ;-)
  • Options
    sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most recently, probably DayZ. I thought I was going to love it, watched a lot of videos and ended up only playing 4 hours. My fault - I never really played a game before where talking on the mic was almost required if you want to be successful. Bought a headset especially for it and almost straight away realised that I hated talking on the mic.

Going back in time I remember buying one of the GTA London expansions for the original Grand Theft Auto game without knowing it was an expansion and that I needed the base-game to play it. That was stupid.

Further back still, I nagged my parents into getting me an Atari Jaguar for my birthday one year. They only ever made 67 games for it. I had a grand total of 2 of them and didn't end up playing on it that often, preferring my Megadrive instead.
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't got the patience to play games tactically.
    So most recently Shadow of Mordor.
    Got through all the intro gubbins, piled into my first encounter with Orcs and was battered.
    Not touched it since. I will have to learn to resist games with a big score if they are not my thing.

I was going to buy a Wii U and remembered that I only bought a Wii for a couple of games and its layer of dust is very thick.
  • Options
    Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing major but last year I bought State Of Decay, horrible game and dam right ugly, I wish I could delete it from my library.
  • Options
    Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    C&C Ultimate Edition. Bought it for RA1, and couldn't get it to work lol.
  • Options
    jokerzjokerz Posts: 1,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A "how to live longer" book for my mother in law.

freaking regretting that one.....
  • Options
    MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Day of Victory. The worst game I have ever played.
    Titanfall - hated it. Everything about it.
  • Options
    CaltonfanCaltonfan Posts: 6,311
    Forum Member
    PS3 was biggest regret, bought it for Heavy Rain but it rarely got used as preferred Xbox 360
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    back in the heady spectrum days i bought two games .....

one was THE GREAT ESCAPE
    the other was SUPER SOCCER

guess which one i played the most?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    Fantasia on the Megadrive. was absolute bobbins and after the excellent mickeys castle of illision it should have also been good. I was many years ago but that taught me to wait for reviwes before buying any game.
  • Options
    brbbrb Posts: 27,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PS4! Played The Last of Us (which came in the bundle I bought) and hardly touched it since. Been meaning to get The Order, but not got around to it, yet.
  • Options
    DreamRJDreamRJ Posts: 3,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine would have to be a recent purchase called Polarity, it is a new early access steam game, i really hate that game companys go down this early access route, because most of the games that are put into early access, never usually even get released months/years down the line, so they end up making money from a game that wont ever be released.

Also what gets me more is the fact that 90% of all early access games are usually going to be free to play games too. but polarity was just one of those games that just was not good what so ever in my personal opinion. and i love puzzle games too, but polarity was just a sad attempted rip of version of portal 2 :(
  • Options
    shaddlershaddler Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Warlords of Draenor. Worst ever WoW expansion, total waste of money.

Half Life 2/Orange Box. I'd heard all about how great a game Half Life 2 was, but I spent hours being chased through sewers being assaulted by headcrabs or funnelled through linear routes being assaulted by brainless AI. I found it utterly tedious and gave up.
  • Options
    dave_windowsdave_windows Posts: 5,937
    Forum Member
    This one is easy.

WWE 2K15 on the Xbox One!

This was a absolute piss take how 2K wanted all this cash for a Hogan edition then they brought out a showcase pass for more money which seems fair but then they added extra DLC ie move pack, WCW pack that wasent included it should have been a season pass but it was just a showcase one.

Then they F*** the guys who paid all this money for the new game then a couple weeks later game had it for half the price as well as weeks later giving the DLC for free.

If the game had been a few months old id understand but 3 weeks after release was really taking the piss and the game was too slow anyway and alot of modes removed.

When 2K16 arrives in November I sure as hell wont be pre ordering or buying it till several months later if its appealing.
  • Options
    jxbrennajxbrenna Posts: 977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Davonator wrote: »
    I think Smash Bros really comes into its own in offline multiplayer. With 2 or 3 friends its a lot more fun than single player IMO.

For me probably Destiny- on paper Destiny has it all, it's pretty, the gunplay is good, the art direction and production values are massive....but it all seemed a bit soulless to me.

PS Move- It just hasn't really been supported. I used it for HOTD Overkill on PS3, and theres a really fun underrated game for it called Tumble that I played for a couple of hours...that's about it. I hear PS Move might get a new lease of life as a Morpheus controller though.

Couldnt agree more! i mean when it was first properly revealed i thought "Wow this looks fantastic! its like World of Warcraft meets Call of duty" i buy it with my ps4 and ive played for the best part of less than 10 hours, it really under whelmed me to tbh :/ and i seriously regret saying that :(
  • Options
    fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fantasia on the Megadrive. was absolute bobbins and after the excellent mickeys castle of illision it should have also been good. I was many years ago but that taught me to wait for reviwes before buying any game.

I got stung on that too. The folly of youth.