Options

how do you sleep in this heat ?

124»

Comments

• Options
    AxtolAxtol Posts: 8,480
    Forum Member
    I'm sleeping on top of the covers with the window open but even that's still a bit warm right now it's not nice at all. I'm going to invest in a fan I think.
  • Options
    LushnessLushness Posts: 38,170
    Forum Member
    I just bought a Dyson tower fan, it's beautiful, feels almost as good as air conditioning.
  • Options
    mintbromintbro Posts: 6,733
    Forum Member
    Slept on the top of the covers last night, still woke up in a puddle of sweat
  • Options
    indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I turn my air conditioning to 17c and go straight to sleep, whatever the weather. That temperature is optimum for my comfort when sleeping. I had aircon fitted to the bedroom, kitchen and lounge about 3 years ago. The best two grand I ever spent.
  • Options
    EbonyHamsterEbonyHamster Posts: 8,175
    Forum Member
    Lushness wrote: »
    I just bought a Dyson tower fan, it's beautiful, feels almost as good as air conditioning.

Is it noisy?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Is it noisy?

On the lower settings not at all, on the higher settings yes a bit. It's got a useful sleep timer on it too so it's not blasting all night.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    On the lower settings not at all, on the higher settings yes a bit. It's got a useful sleep timer on it too so it's not blasting all night.

Thank you

Would you mind me asking where you got it and how much you paid?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thank you

Would you mind me asking where you got it and how much you paid?

John Lewis, £299. Yes it's expensive but worth every penny, I find them much better than the conventional fans. John Lewis can't keep them in stock, I picked up the last one at my local branch!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    John Lewis, £299. Yes it's expensive but worth every penny, I find them much better than the conventional fans. John Lewis can't keep them in stock, I picked up the last one at my local branch!

Thanks very much ^_^
  • Options
    tim_smithtim_smith Posts: 772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Summer duvet, knicks and two dogs...;-)

(Oh, and two fans, one for me and one for my dogs, windows and bedroom door open - and earplugs to block out the noise of the flies and snoring dogs).
  • Options
    AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Had to have a big fan on last night and the windows open. Our house was stifling.

When I finally managed to drift off I was awakened by the loudest thunder and brightest lightening I'd ever seen, must have been round about 1.00am. It didn't last long though.
  • Options
    JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    I'm normally not a hot-weather moaner, but it was pretty horrible trying to sleep last night, even with two windows on either side of the room open and our (very noisy) tower fan on. Our upstairs thermostat showed 27.6, and our house is actually pretty well insulated. I was in the Caribbean a month ago, and the evening temperatures were as high as it was here in the south-east last night!
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I just went out like a light last night.....but then I'd stayed up 3 hours past my usual bedtime watching the women's footie so I was knackered (and I'd had a long root canal session during the day which also tired me out mentally)

I still got up at 6.45 though........so no doubt I'll have a nice nap during the afternoon......:p ......(one of the perks of working from home !)
  • Options
    kitty86kitty86 Posts: 7,034
    Forum Member
    Half way down the bed so legs were hanging off, covers thrown on the floor, naked with the fan aimed directly at us. My OH had a bad sleep but I was out of it until my alarm went off this morning.
  • Options
    Wolfie_SmithWolfie_Smith Posts: 452
    Forum Member
    I take my clothes off, lie down on the bed, shut my eyes, then have a bit of a kip until the alarm goes off. :D
  • Options
    BeecosyBeecosy Posts: 2,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's the will it won't it thunder in the night which prevents me dropping off sooner.

I invested in a mini fan in the 1990s during a mini heatwave and upgraded over the years to a larger standing fan and as well as A/C mostly to take the humidity out of the air.

You get used to the white noise in fact it blocks out other sounds etc which are more likely to wake you. Modern A/Cs are quieter these days and don't need to run the whole time.

20 degrees C when I awoke today but you can set it to whatever you prefer.

My OH says the office he was in yesterday had the heating on, what a waste :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Agreed, got ours a couple of weeks ago and i doubt that i would have been able to sleep without these last few days.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I developed an allergy to something or other a few months back, my Doctor gave me antihistamines which I stopped taking as I noticed they were making me very drowsy so I take one of them half an hour before bed, knocks me out when I hit the pillow, great job for this heat.

Neat utilisation of an otherwise unwanted side effect :kitty:
  • Options
    charliesayscharliesays Posts: 1,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haven't had a problem sleeping. Even snoozing under the duvet as per usual.
  • Options
    Dalekbuster523Dalekbuster523 Posts: 4,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haven't had a problem sleeping. Even snoozing under the duvet as per usual.

Can I have your superhuman powers please? ;-)
  • Options
    SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Take the summer duvet out of its cover and just try sleeping under that. Fill a hot water bottle with cold water and place in the fridge to get very chilled, then put into your bed. - wonderful on hot feet. You can also use 2litre plastic bottle in this way if you haven't a hot water bottle.
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    No trouble sleeping really.

I relocated to the north-facing bedroom the other week.
    Keep the upstairs roller blinds down all day and close the curtains too.
    Bedroom is quite cool as a result, and the bed is up against the wall - which is a yard thickness of stone.
  • Options
    QuixoticQuixotic Posts: 668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I open the windows, put the fan on and sleep either nude or in a pair of boxers with just a sheet instead of a duvet.
  • Options
    funkycubfunkycub Posts: 9,352
    Forum Member
    Worst thing for me is cos I'm bald my head sweats and end up with a wet pillow! Only time I've wished I still had hair!

I can't open the window as my cats would be in and out all night and fans annoy me.

I sleep naked in the winter so not much different there in the siummer
  • Options
    franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Take the summer duvet out of its cover and just try sleeping under that. Fill a hot water bottle with cold water and place in the fridge to get very chilled, then put into your bed. - wonderful on hot feet. You can also use 2litre plastic bottle in this way if you haven't a hot water bottle.

Good tips, thanks.