Options

Let's be honest..We Brits are quite happy being racist, prejudice and xenophobic..

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think OP needs a better circle of friends
  • Options
    wolfpawwolfpaw Posts: 10,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kromm wrote: »
    Not about the EU, to be sure. But British people were key in the slave trade, were pretty grasping and nasty to the people of India, Hong Kong and the Caribbean for a long, long time, etc., so perhaps there's a lot left over!

Most white Brits i.e. most of us don't really give a shit as it was years ago and we're sick of hearing about it.
  • Options
    juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
    Forum Member
    Just us Brits?
    I assume the OP hasn't spent much time abroad in any other countries.
  • Options
    KrommKromm Posts: 6,180
    Forum Member
    wolfpaw wrote: »
    Most white Brits i.e. most of us don't really give a shit as it was years ago and we're sick of hearing about it.

I'd be interested to know if you're someone who sarcastically throws slave ownership at the feet of current Americans, or if you only have the "it was years ago" exemption for Brits.
  • Options
    Zeropoint1Zeropoint1 Posts: 10,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not about the EU, to be sure. But British people were key in the slave trade, were pretty grasping and nasty to the people of India, Hong Kong and the Caribbean for a long, long time, etc., so perhaps there's a lot left over!

Who were the British (among many others who are conveniently forgotten about) buying the slaves from? That's right it was Africans selling other Africans in to slavery because they belonged to a different sect / tribe. Why don't the bleeding hearts every mention the white British people who lived in coastal towns around the country who were stolen in nighttime raids and sold as slaves?

It's funny that we hear much gnashing of teeth and wailing that the British Empire was bad but nobody ever seems to mention those jolly nasty Spanish and their conquest of the Americas, or France, Portugal and I believe Germany and Japan may have been a little naughty too.

But the left wing are only ever interested in white British people being racist that they over look everybody elses past.
  • Options
    IamParadoxIamParadox Posts: 766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zeropoint1 wrote: »
    Who were the British (among many others who are conveniently forgotten about) buying the slaves from? That's right it was Africans selling other Africans in to slavery because they belonged to a different sect / tribe. Why don't the bleeding hearts every mention the white British people who lived in coastal towns around the country who were stolen in nighttime raids and sold as slaves?

It's funny that we hear much gnashing of teeth and wailing that the British Empire was bad but nobody ever seems to mention those jolly nasty Spanish and their conquest of the Americas, or France, Portugal and I believe Germany and Japan may have been a little naughty too.

But the left wing are only ever interested in white British people being racist that they over look everybody elses past.

Why don't they mention the fact Arab Muslims were slave trading Africans centuries before the white man discovered Africa, or that Arabs were castrating Africans to stop them having children.

It obviously doesn't fit their agenda.
  • Options
    swaydogswaydog Posts: 5,653
    Forum Member
    I'd be interested to know if you're someone who sarcastically throws slave ownership at the feet of current Americans, or if you only have the "it was years ago" exemption for Brits.

I'd be interested to know if you're someone who thinks slave ownership was the preserve of Europeans & Americans.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member

I think you'll find that the British entered an existing slave trade, you'll also find they later helped put an end to it.
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you'll find that the British entered an existing slave trade, you'll also find they later helped put an end to it.

Exactly.

One of Hull's most remarkable citizens.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Wilberforce
  • Options
    juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
    Forum Member
    IamParadox wrote: »
    Why don't they mention the fact Arab Muslims were slave trading Africans centuries before the white man discovered Africa, or that Arabs were castrating Africans to stop them having children.

It obviously doesn't fit their agenda.
    It's shocking how many of us Brits know nothing of l the 1.25 million English, Irish and Europeans kidnapped, some fishermen, but many ordinary families from their own homes in Devon, Cornwall etc, by North African Barbary Pirates and taken back to a short brutish life of hell in north Africa and the middle east where many were forced to convert to Islam.
  • Options
    Zeropoint1Zeropoint1 Posts: 10,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's shocking how many of us Brits know nothing of l the 1.25 million English, Irish and Europeans kidnapped, some fishermen, but many ordinary families from their own homes in Devon, Cornwall etc, by North African Barbary Pirates and taken back to a short brutish life of hell in north Africa and the middle east where many were forced to convert to Islam.

That's because it doesn't fit their narrative that only the British were guilty of such crimes. In their world it's impossible for any other race to be racist.

It's like the latest buzz word 'white privilege' or their other new favourite 'white CIS tears' it's their way to shut down debate.
  • Options
    CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't said, In fact I favor further integration but I feel the UK struggles to accept foreign influence and will always struggle which is a real shame.

How does it? We've been happily integrating "foreigners" since the Roman invasion.
  • Options
    Cornish_PiskieCornish_Piskie Posts: 7,489
    Forum Member
    Whilst it is wrong to say that all Brexit voters are intolerant, racist bigots, it is more true to say that all intolerant, racist bigots are Brexit voters.

Quite what the proportion of the latter over the former of the two is I couldn't say.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    ^^ Is that your fix for the day or will you be back for more?
  • Options
    CSJBCSJB Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member
    Whilst it is wrong to say that all Brexit voters are intolerant, racist bigots, it is more true to say that all intolerant, racist bigots are Brexit voters.

Quite what the proportion of the latter over the former of the two is I couldn't say.

Racists that worship mammon won't let their bigotry effect their decision making.

The full on racist that lives in my street is voting to stay in, because he would rather have the country flooded with more Europeans (mainly his race) than Africans and Asians (mainly different races).

The majority of anglophobes from our various nationalists parties (SNP/ Plaid/ Sinn Fein etc etc) will be voting to stay in.

There will be many bigoted people who are extremely intolerant of anyone who holds differing views that will be voting to stay in. (I'm sure you know some of these people yourself).

So while there will undoubtably be intolerant racists and bigots voting to leave, the same can be said of those voting to stay.
    I suppose it's to be expected really, when there're only two choices which millions of individuals have to make.