Amy missed the Daleks

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 457
    Forum Member
    vrooom wrote: »
    She missed them because she was too busy staring at her crack?

tbh I'd miss aliens and laser beams if I was staring at her crack.
  • vampirekvampirek Posts: 4,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    matfer12 wrote: »
    Surly there couldn't be a "big reset button" erasing the memories of the past 5 years events as in TWM Adelaide Brooke tells a story which she remembers from that time, so timey stuff means they cant change the future, can they?:confused:

Well its possibly, lets say everyone was the Master when Rasillion restored the human race all mention of alien life form was erased. Leading to this point where a human does not recognise a Dalek at all. The Doctor manages to fix this mishap and people remember, therefore Amy can forget and Adelaide can remember.
    That or as shown, events can change the future as was shown in Waters of Mars. That in his time line The Doctor meets the Adelaide who remembers, he nevers meets the one who doesn't

Also a note on something people aren't mentioned. The Tardis is out of track with time itself, The Doctor keeps arriving late. Whilst it is known that the Tardis does this, it does fit in with the arc.
  • swirlygirlswirlygirl Posts: 5,390
    Forum Member
    Fudd wrote: »
    If Rose is sucked back I'll switch off.

I think I'd join you in the switching off if that happened :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    vampirek wrote: »
    Well its possibly, lets say everyone was the Master when Rasillion restored the human race all mention of alien life form was erased. Leading to this point where a human does not recognise a Dalek at all. The Doctor manages to fix this mishap and people remember, therefore Amy can forget and Adelaide can remember.
    That or as shown, events can change the future as was shown in Waters of Mars. That in his time line The Doctor meets the Adelaide who remembers, he nevers meets the one who doesn't

Also a note on something people aren't mentioned. The Tardis is out of track with time itself, The Doctor keeps arriving late. Whilst it is known that the Tardis does this, it does fit in with the arc.

So not confusing at all, perfect thing to distract you from writing a very important, large essay, which for the love of God won't write itself.
    Does that mean that the tardis is not traveling in a Linear fashion, but instead jumping around inside the Doctors own timeline, meaning hes "appearing" before he himself has been there, or am just taking the idea of timey whimey stuff a bit too far, probably,
    I'll just stop thinking about stuff now.
  • JohnFlawbodJohnFlawbod Posts: 4,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm thoroughly enjoying this series so far but I am starting to wonder if SM is pulling something of a sleight of hand with all this concentration on the crack and Amy being somehow not right...he's been around since before Series 1 and watched the arcs develop subsequently: would he really bother with such obvious telegraphing as zeroing in on the crack in time and space at the end of every episode unless it was merely part of a greater whole as yet to be revealed...

...in a way, it's like BAD WOLF in reverse: no one cottoned on immediately and then gradually via the web and the DW website word spread until everyone was looking for BW references...this time we have been told what it is from the outset...but is it relevant? If it is relevant what does it mean? Or is there something else which, because of the obvious clues getting in the way...we're all somehow missing?

Or...is he having a big, old-fashioned laugh at the expense of we who worry about such things and let it get in the way of a rip-roaringly good adventure yarn?
  • QuizmikeQuizmike Posts: 5,972
    Forum Member
    If TEH happened in the mid nineties then the daleks / cybermen etc haven't happened yet. That why Amy doesn't know about it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quizmike wrote: »
    If TEH happened in the mid nineties then the daleks / cybermen etc haven't happened yet. That why Amy doesn't know about it.

It didn't happen in the mid 90's, you just need to look at the cars, the fashion, the mobile phones to work out its supposed to be the present day.
  • CarlosVelaCarlosVela Posts: 3,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No.6 wrote: »
    It didn't happen in the mid 90's, you just need to look at the cars, the fashion, the mobile phones to work out its supposed to be the present day.

But then you have to look at Amy's boyfriend's NHS tag, which said he started with the NHS in 1990, and we're to believe it was 2010 and he'd been working for them for 20 years?

I think that the Doctor has missed something massive, Earth's history has changed and advanced greatly and the crack in time is the key to it all.

But what is it exactly?

Someone mentioned alternate universe and i agree.

We saw in one alternate world that one change was the head of state in the UK being called President, what's to say in another alternate world that the events of Journey's End merely didn't happen and that besides that the universe is exactly the same?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    What's interesting to note is that, in The Stolen Earth/Journey's End, the reality bomb was meant to affect EVERY universe and reality and so, surely, no matter what parallel the Doctor may be in, there should be some knowledge of its events.

Even if that logic doesn't quite add up, I don't think it is that. Instead, I think time has been distorted by this crack. Events are out of sync and out of place with each other, ever since the brief return of the Timelords (who I don't think we've seen the last of and who I think are involved in this in some way). This might be why Amy didn't know (I mean, even if TSE/JE didn't happen, wouldn't the Army of Ghosts still have happened?)

My guess is events are either being erased or distorted. They always revolve around the Doctor too, which is why I believe the Timelords are involved...
  • dave1152dave1152 Posts: 240
    Forum Member
    isnt it something to do wit the battle at canary wharf?
  • tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm thoroughly enjoying this series so far but I am starting to wonder if SM is pulling something of a sleight of hand with all this concentration on the crack and Amy being somehow not right...he's been around since before Series 1 and watched the arcs develop subsequently: would he really bother with such obvious telegraphing as zeroing in on the crack in time and space at the end of every episode unless it was merely part of a greater whole as yet to be revealed...

...in a way, it's like BAD WOLF in reverse: no one cottoned on immediately and then gradually via the web and the DW website word spread until everyone was looking for BW references...this time we have been told what it is from the outset...but is it relevant? If it is relevant what does it mean? Or is there something else which, because of the obvious clues getting in the way...we're all somehow missing?

Or...is he having a big, old-fashioned laugh at the expense of we who worry about such things and let it get in the way of a rip-roaringly good adventure yarn?

No, I think there's something else going on, and Rory's name badge being dated too early and British Steel poster in this episode being there twenty years before the company was founded are a part of it. We're being distracted by the crack, but there are clues elsewhere that something is wrong with history.
  • GeorgemcneilGeorgemcneil Posts: 2,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe the ASH Cloud!
  • Old Man 43Old Man 43 Posts: 6,214
    Forum Member
    This might tie in with the 1st season episode Dalek. In that episode no one apart from the Doctor knew what the Daleks were despite it being 2012.
  • KnowAll27KnowAll27 Posts: 2,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leaving aside the notion of parallel universes for a moment, the question that last night raised for me is:

- Does only Amy not remember the Daleks, or does nobody remember the Daleks?

If it's only Amy then it reinforces the idea that there's something 'special' about her (which may be the case, but seeing as that was a large part of the previous full-time companion's story-arc I kind of hope not).

On the other hand if nobody remembers the Daleks then it suggests something much bigger; perhaps some sort of selective retrograde amnesia? Possibly linked to something that happened in TEOT with the Master/NotMaster events (RTD did say he would leave the slate totally clean for SM); possiblty linked to the crack (which may tie into the debate surrounding Rory's badge, assuming it's not just an error, as well as the new Tardis' inability to land on time when I don't remember the previous one having that problem, at least not as explicitly demonstrated), possibly neither.

I've only seen the episode once so far, so just a quick question: and myth or zero references; or any eye close-ups?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    Amy doesnt remember the daleks because she is a wolf of fenric?
    The crack follows her around because it is a crack in relaity that fenric is asserting his influence through?
    Fenric = Hastur the unspeakable...'silence will fall'?
    Fenric hoped to use ace as a weapon against mccoys doc, is he doing the same with amy pond?
    Fenric has the ability to manipulate the timeline (silver nemesis). maybe that could explain the tardis tardiness, the advanced technology, amy not remembering the daleks?
  • ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member
    Syn22 wrote: »
    The Daleks, using their Oblivium technology, open up a dimensional rift and go through. The TARDIS, during 10's chaotic regeneration, detects this danger and follows. The TARDIS crashes in this new universe, due to lack of power, and regenerates. The TARDIS changes to adopt to the new Universe, ultimately however, the TARDIS scars its new Universe by creating cracks in reality.

Is this a actually a spoiler or a theory? I'll post my reply in spoiler tags in case.
    I think the stuff about the Daleks creating the rift is good, but I don't think this series is set in a parallel universe. Firstly, The Doctor would know, and secondly the events of The Stolen Earth and Journey's End took place across all universes, therefore Amy being in a parallel universe doesn't explain her lack of knowledge of the Daleks.
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No.6 wrote: »

While the laptops and camera phones certainly suggest it's circa 2010, supposedly (not checked it myself) all the Cars have registration numbers from the 1990's.

Also IIRC when set photo's of Leadworth were leaked people picked up on the fact that there was a newspaper stand giving the date as sometime in the 1990's.

The theory at the time was that this was for scenes with Young Amy but as all those scenes were just in her house/garden why did they dress the village green scene for the 1990's?

Listentome wrote: »
    Is this a actually a spoiler or a theory? I'll post my reply in spoiler tags in case.
    I think the stuff about the Daleks creating the rift is good, but I don't think this series is set in a parallel universe. Firstly, The Doctor would know, and secondly the events of The Stolen Earth and Journey's End took place across all universes, therefore Amy being in a parallel universe doesn't explain her lack of knowledge of the Daleks.

Even though the Reality Bomb would have affected all Universes it was only the Earth of the Whoverse that was moved across Space and invaded by Daleks.

So it could be possible that Amy is from a Universe where the Daleks have never been heard of.

Only trouble with the theory that all this series is in an alt universe is that we were told in RotC/AoS that the TARDIS could not work in another Universe.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    could it tie in with torchwood , were was the doctor during children of earth ? :(
  • !!11oneone!!11oneone Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swirlygirl wrote: »
    I'm wondering if things can bleed out of/be sucked out of the crack?

That's filthy
  • tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IF it is an alternate universe wouldn't the Doctor know, or at least the Tardis know? Maybe the crack is allowing the Tardis to travel to and from "Pete's World". IIRC isn't "Pete's World" a few years ahead of the normal universe. Maybe in "Pete's world" they have never encountered the Daleks only the Cybermen.

On the subject of the DOB issue, perhaps someone or something has altered the timeline in the past. It could be connected to the technology left behind in the Victory Of The Daleks episode creating an alternate future (think Back To The Future 2). :D
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Doctor keeps seriously misjudging the time as well. He arrived a month after Winston's call but he thought it was only minutes!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Listentome wrote: »

If the doctor has shifted in to a parrallel universe, the events of the 11th hour can take place in the 90's. This explains why Rory's badge says 1990, but the technology is clearly that of 2010: in this universe earth tech in the 1990s is as advanced as that of 2010 in this universe. This discrepency of timeline also explains why nobody has heard of the events of the stolen earth - they haven't happened before the 11th hour takes place.
    It might also link in with the doctor always being late? I'm not sure about this theory, even as I'm fleshing it out. It doesn't necessarily fit with cracks in time appearing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    My guess is Amy missed the daleks because she was in the same prison as Zero and is being followed around by the crack which is somehow causing all the time dilation and anachronisms..

Unless everyone else has forgotten the daleks too..

Did the eye-in-the-sky aliens think that they'd got Zero or could it be her?
  • Miss_QwertyMiss_Qwerty Posts: 170
    Forum Member
    I've just been watching the episode again, and most of the "Old style" Daleks have union jack motifs, but the gold one has a funny key symbol (You can see it close up at about 20 minutes in if someone cleverer than me can get a screen shot). Just got me curious.

Might be nothing since the old style ones were destroyed, but if they were coming back in another episode it might be the key to the pandorical or something?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just been watching the episode again, and most of the "Old style" Daleks have union jack motifs, but the gold one has a funny key symbol (You can see it close up at about 20 minutes in if someone cleverer than me can get a screen shot). Just got me curious.

Might be nothing since the old style ones were destroyed, but if they were coming back in another episode it might be the key to the pandorical or something?

All RTD daleks had similar images on that plate - supposed to be the Dalek's designation/name in dalek alphabet.