Drug mules caught

Comments

• tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do feel for their families but what stupid girls they are. I have no doubt they were targeted by a gang but don't buy that they were forced to take the bags and didnt know what was in them. Its more likely they got sweet talked into it by promises of cash and a free holiday.
  • ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    I do feel for their families but what stupid girls they are. I have no doubt they were targeted by a gang but don't buy that they were forced to take the bags and didnt know what was in them. Its more likely they got sweet talked into it by promises of cash and a free holiday.

Yes that'sprobably it. Go on, go for it, it's easy money, they'll never stop you, they're not interested in two girls travelling, the security in Peru is crap... etc. etc.
  • AnitaSAnitaS Posts: 4,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel sorry for them, they are so young, it's a stupid thing to do, but they aren't the brains behind the drug trafficking trade.
  • vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suppose they'll get to star in an episode of Banged Up Abroad. Fame of sorts.

I do have every sympathy tbh. It's an appalling situation for them. I really don't understand why one would take a risk like that though. Thinking over all the options. I've no problem at all with drug smuggling but the possible benefits so far outweigh the risks of getting involved in that part of the operation it's stupid. The reward/risk ratio of that type of escapade is crap.
  • JusticarJusticar Posts: 1,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some very interesting video of the girls on the Daily Mail site. They claim they were "forced to take the bags"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2388688/Pictured-moment-arrested-The-British-girls-tried-smuggle-1-5m-cocaine-Peru.html

One of them's got a gerbil on her head.
  • rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt Cameron will get involved as they don't appear to be from wealthy families.

Aren't they from Hampstead?
  • stirlingguy1stirlingguy1 Posts: 7,038
    Forum Member
    I doubt Cameron will get involved as they don't appear to be from wealthy families.

I don't know, one of their houses looks quite big/nice:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/peru-drugs-arrest-brit-girls-2154396

The girl's twitter feed:

https://twitter.com/michaellamccoll
  • vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Justicar wrote: »
    One of them's got a gerbil on her head.

lolz...:D
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they weren't forced into this by whatever means, they'll just have to face the consequences. Smuggling drugs to try and make yourself a fortune just shows what little, or no conscience you have.
  • culturemancultureman Posts: 11,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The evidence suggests to me the Peruvian customs received a tip off in advance about this shipment.
  • jazzyjazzyjazzyjazzy Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If my daughter went to live and work abroad I would give her this book to read on the plane.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Forget-You-Had-Daughter-Gregorys/dp/1904132278

It is Sandra Gregory's account of her life in jail in Bangkok after being caught trying to smuggle drugs.
  • angelafisherangelafisher Posts: 4,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, probably got flattered by the local drug gang and believed they'd get away with it. Again, I feel sorry for the families.

The girls will also learn that they will be offered consular support which doesn't mean they'll get a get out of jail free card. The Embassy can only do so much.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't know they dared do it. I'd be too petrified of being caught. Stupid lasses.
  • weirlandia4evaweirlandia4eva Posts: 1,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ibiza-peru-how-gangs-turn-2155186
    Drug gangs infest the party world of Ibiza, turning innocent young girls into drug mules with the promise of massive financial rewards and all-expenses-paid holidays abroad.
    Peru has the second highest rate in the world for arrest charges on people suspected of transporting drugs.

A total of 248 people, or drug mules, were arrested at Lima's Jorge Chavez international airport in 2012.

stupid girls !!!
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The tabloid media will probably treat this story in the same old way

Brits abroad = Innocent

Added to that there will be an unpleasant undertone of "You can't trust Johnny Foreigner"
  • divingbboydivingbboy Posts: 14,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some very interesting video of the girls on the Daily Mail site. They claim they were "forced to take the bags"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2388688/Pictured-moment-arrested-The-British-girls-tried-smuggle-1-5m-cocaine-Peru.html

Not the best defence, considering they had to fly from Spain to Peru first which, considering their families hadn't heard from them, happened under fairly mysterious circumstances. Why did they think they were flying to Peru in the first place? I assume they didn't pay their own way, either.
  • jazzyjazzyjazzyjazzy Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jazzyjazzy wrote: »
    If my daughter went to live and work abroad I would give her this book to read on the plane.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Forget-You-Had-Daughter-Gregorys/dp/1904132278

It is Sandra Gregory's account of her life in jail in Bangkok after being caught trying to smuggle drugs.

What a coincidence - Sandra Gregory is on This Morning talking about her experience in Thailand Jail.
  • jude007jude007 Posts: 2,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have no sympathy at all for them. They are both over 18 so therefore have no excuse. At the end of the day it was greed!!

There were bringing it over a million pounds worth of drugs which could have resulted in 100's of deaths. So to me their hands have as much blood as those drug barons etc.
  • all_nightall_night Posts: 7,597
    Forum Member
    It does seem Brits are quick to play the innocent card in cases like this, assuming that the government will come and bail them out and / or increase in media pressure will help.
  • DavserDavser Posts: 2,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cultureman wrote: »
    The evidence suggests to me the Peruvian customs received a tip off in advance about this shipment.

Dunno, seems they have ramped up security at Lima airport with trained spotters and plenty of sniffer dogs.

In this case it was a sniffer dog that pawed them.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-23678430

They were detained by drug enforcement officials at Jorge Chavez International Airport after being detected by a sniffer dog.
  • SpeedloaferSpeedloafer Posts: 2,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They knew exactly what they were doing and why they went over there. If it was a genuine 4 day break why didn't they tell anybody (friends/family). The Belfast girl Michaella McCollum's friends and family and friends were involved in a quite a serious online campaign trying to find their daughter as they believe she went missing/was abducted. Was reported in several newspapers too. What on earth were they (the girls) thinking?
  • Wolfman13Wolfman13 Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    all_night wrote: »
    It does seem Brits are quick to play the innocent card in cases like this, assuming that the government will come and bail them out and / or increase in media pressure will help.

Except the Belfast girl used an Irish passport so don't consider her a Brit so the Irish government should be used if she wants bailing out.
  • Wbc-WorkerWbc-Worker Posts: 814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    codeblue wrote: »
    They flew to Peru to pick up 1.5m of cocaine, and fly it back to spain.

That doesnt sound like "forced", it just sounds like they got caught. I hope that these women get the book thrown at them, 25 years in Jail in Peru. They are lucky they dont have the death penalty.

Stiff sentences like these are the only way to stop other criminals (and yes, these women are criminals) trying the same thing. I would be embarrassed if the UK government tried to interfere with this case.
    well going by http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11450202

'the standard sentence of six years and eight months for trafficking any amount of cocaine under 10kg'

but not sure if it has gone up since then.

if the reports are accurate then each bag contained 6kg each.

One has to wonder if they were set up - sending through many consignments at the same time and they were the decoys.

I was at Bangkok international airport when there was two caught taking stuff out and the Customs held a large party and they were soon getting stuck in to Thai whiskey and they gave up checking anyone departing.

Sure they were not smuggling their own product but whoever paid them will be well gone and its their own fault for getting into the situation in the first place.

I reckon they will do a year and then be shipped back to do their time in the UK.
  • Miles_TMiles_T Posts: 2,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jude007 wrote: »
    I have no sympathy at all for them. They are both over 18 so therefore have no excuse. At the end of the day it was greed!!

There were bringing it over a million pounds worth of drugs which could have resulted in 100's of deaths. So to me their hands have as much blood as those drug barons etc.

Cocaine.. are you sure? I don't buy all this bullshit..if you take drugs that is your choice your not forced.

The real problem is the crime around the supply.Legalise drugs and that would mostly dissapear.
  • egghead1egghead1 Posts: 4,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky News reporting one of girl's Father as saying"She must have had her passport taken off her and copied..refused access to money and her phone taken off her..too intelligent to do this"

Never see the bad do they?