Early benchmarks of 5S show it wipes floor with S4 and HTC One

Comments

• swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    :confused: Not sure what the point is here at all you said this shows you that specs don't mean anything, I assume there was some point to that statement or some reason why you made it as up until now I don't follow at all.
  • FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    kidspud wrote: »
    I do find it interesting that samsung have not released a high end phone with a smaller screen. I thought the S3 mini/S4 mini where going to be it.

Yes I thought that too but was sadly disappointed. The GS3/4 Mini's are just stripped down budget models of their superior siblings. I may have to look elsewhere next time as I find the GS4 just that bit to large for my tastes.
  • Dark 1Dark 1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Faust wrote: »
    Yes I thought that too but was sadly disappointed. The GS3/4 Mini's are just stripped down budget models of their superior siblings.

Maybe packing top end performance into such small packages requires really difficult engineering and, unlike Apple, not exactly Samsung's forte?
  • kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swordman wrote: »
    :confused: Not sure what the point is here at all you said this shows you that specs don't mean anything, I assume there was some point to that statement or some reason why you made it as up until now I don't follow at all.

Don't worry, just like I don't understand your comment about swapping the OS, you don't understand my comment on specs. That's fine, I can live with that.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    the whole thing is meaningless the S4 has also been out for 6 months. ridiculous comparison.

iOS is so low functioning the processor can only be used for games and benchmarking.
  • enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Faust wrote: »
    Yes I thought that too but was sadly disappointed. The GS3/4 Mini's are just stripped down budget models of their superior siblings. I may have to look elsewhere next time as I find the GS4 just that bit to large for my tastes.

HTC one mini is pretty good small size phone not losing to many features over it bigger sibling.
  • calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quite clear why surely :confused: what are you claiming is quicker exactly the iphone itself or the OS it is running?

You don't think other OS's perform as well as iOS?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    calico_pie wrote: »
    I get you - you don't think other OS's perform as well as iOS.

I agree with this to an extent iOS has always been much more optimised. Though it is starting to become a lot less of a problem than it used to be on android. It far easier for Apple to do this they probably only have to optimise six or seven devices for each new version.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I must admit I was surprised by Swordman's suggestion of swapping the OS that presumably would only ever show one of two things:

1. The chip in the 5S really is that fast.

or

2. iOS performs better than other OSes.
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    kidspud wrote: »
    Don't worry, just like I don't understand your comment about swapping the OS, you don't understand my comment on specs. That's fine, I can live with that.

No problem clearly just another comment made by you that as usual you then realise you have now way of evidencing or actually knowing what you were talking about so we will just skip over it shall we ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So all of these benchmark tests, that are regularly trotted out to demonstrate that Android phones are better than the iPhone, because of their better spec, suddenly don't count here?

Despite their existence, suddenly there is "now way of evidencing or actually knowing" anything?

Whatever else, the double standards are astonishing.
  • kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No problem clearly just another comment made by you that as usual you then realise you have now way of evidencing or actually knowing what you were talking about so we will just skip over it shall we ;)

No, it was clearly a comment from me having watched a YouTube video (followed by many others providing links to other benchmark tests). I'm not sure how much more evidence you would like.

I know it isn't up there with your ability to know how the dead think, but some of us can only live in the real world;)
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    Here's a link if people are interested:

Article link

By all accounts pretty fast in the benchmarks. Contrary to posts above, apparently faster than the Snapdragon 800.

LOL. It is not better than Snapdragon 800 and Tegra 4. The only thing iPhone 5s is better at is Browser tests and OS Level optimisation.

In geekbench 2 the Xiaomi Mi3 and other Snapdragon 800 and Tegra 4 phones blow the iPhone 5S away in overall performance. Xiaomi Mi3 scores over 4000 on Geekbench 2 and other phones like Xperia Z1 score around 3700. iPhone 5s is just under 2500.

http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr180/jabbamk1/Geekbench_zps1e4e9fc7.jpg
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Benchmarks are one thing, efficiency of the OS another. Good benchmarks are for nothing if the processor is busy executing some clumsily written code. And you do not need much processing power if the code is efficient.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    LOL. It is not better than Snapdragon 800 and Tegra 4. The only thing iPhone 5s is better at is Browser tests and OS Level optimisation.

In geekbench 2 the Xiaomi Mi3 and other Snapdragon 800 and Tegra 4 phones blow the iPhone 5S away in overall performance. Xiaomi Mi3 scores over 4000 on Geekbench 2 and other phones like Xperia Z1 score around 3700. iPhone 5s is just under 2500.

Think the 5S is ahead in one point Open GLS 3.0 support which will be useful for game development. But that is more down to HTC and Samsung not updating S4 and HTC One to 4.3. But even if the Phone was faster and supports better quality with not even a 720p display you not going notice it anyway.
    Forum Member
    enapace wrote: »
    Think the 5S is ahead in one point Open GLS 3.0 support which will be useful for game development. But that is more down to HTC and Samsung not updating S4 and HTC One to 4.3. But even if the Phone was faster and supports better quality with not even a 720p display you not going notice it anyway.

Snapdragon 800 supports OpenGL ES 3.0. ????
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I was only going by the figures in the article above.

When you say "blow the iPhone 5S away on overall performance" can you give some real world examples?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Snapdragon 800 supports OpenGL ES 3.0. ????

Both the snapdragon 600 and 800 support it but because android didn't support it before 4.3 it wasn't fully enabled on the Phones. I am hoping it is enabled when they update the devices to android 4.3.
    Forum Member
    I was only going by the figures in the article above.

When you say "blow the iPhone 5S away on overall performance" can you give some real world examples?

No i can't because i was purely talking benchmarks. Like i said, the hardware (A7) in the iPhone 5s is not as good as the hardware in some android phones (SnapDragon 800)

Like i said, the iPhone 5s is far more optimised at OS level so will perform much better than a lot of Android phones in real world scenarios. However Android can perform much better if optimised for the hardware as shown with Xperia Z1 and Xiaomi Mi3.

Enapace: Ah, sorry. I thought you said the SD800 doesn't support it. Didn't realise you were talking about Android.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Enapace: Ah, sorry. I thought you said the SD800 doesn't support it. Didn't realise you were talking about Android.

No problem Jabba I wasn't exactly clear about it. I think benchmark tests on phones are starting to become less and less important all the high end devices are more than capable of doing anything at the moment.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No i can't because i was purely talking benchmarks. Like i said, the hardware (A7) in the iPhone 5s is not as good as the hardware in some android phones (SnapDragon 800)

Like i said, the iPhone 5s is far more optimised at OS level so will perform much better than a lot of Android phones in real world scenarios. However Android can perform much better if optimised for the hardware as shown with Xperia Z1 and Xiaomi Mi3.

Is the long and short of it that Geekbench test results alone do not necessarily give much indication of real world performance?
    Forum Member
    Is the long and short of it that Geekbench test results alone do not necessarily give much indication of real world performance?

Geekbench is designed to measure the overall performance of the system, not just the raw performance of your hardware, so it includes the performance of the OS. But obviously if the hardware is much better then it'll score higher even if the OS performance isn't great. Hence why G2 is poorly optimised so scores lower than other snapdragon 800 phones. It's still fast though thanks to hardware.

Geekbench results give an easy comparison against other phones and how well that phone performs overall compared to a standard. It's useful in showing which phones have the best hardware and how optimised the overall system is. Usually you'd expect geekbench results to be an indication of real world performance but obviously there are always exceptions and real world performance may not be as good.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iOS is not a true operating system. It's a similar 'operating system' to those running on Sky or Virgin boxes or even a 'smart TV'. Of course it's not going to use much processing power neither does a slug's brain.

iOS is very simple. Hence no multitasking. 'Push' notifications after an app has been exited in iOS does not equal multitasking.

If you ever used a high end, modern Android device like the S4 and HTC One you would understand how much more functionality the same apps have in comparison to iOS and how strangled they are on iPhones (Zedge and What'sApp are two good examples for me).

iOS users need to see the light. They've been brainwashed.
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iOS is not a true operating system. It's a similar 'operating system' to those running on Sky or Virgin boxes or even a 'smart TV'. Of course it's not going to use much processing power neither does a slug's brain.

iOS is very simple. Hence no multitasking. 'Push' notifications after an app has been exited in iOS does not equal multitasking.

If you ever used a high end, modern Android device like the S4 and HTC One you would understand how much more functionality the same apps have in comparison to iOS and how strangled they are on iPhones (Zedge and What'sApp are two good examples for me).

LOL I don't normally get involved in the fanboy wars. But it might be worth updating your information :D
    Forum Member

The bit in bold describes you well :D