Co-op boycotts exports from Israel's West Bank settlements

Comments

• MikaelMikael Posts: 1,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Styker wrote: »
    Those that do want to buy Israeli products can get them from Tesco, Asda and now Sainsburys for the first time I noticed today. Thats based on clementines. I noticed for the first time one's grown in israel being sold in Sainsburys.

And from the Co-op.

There's a misconception that the Co-op is boycotting Israel. It is not. It is only boycotting companies that export produce from the illegal settlements of the West Bank.
  • StykerStyker Posts: 49,551
    Forum Member
    Mikael wrote: »
    And from the CO-OP.

There's a misconception that the Co-op is boycotting Israel. It is not. It is only boycotting produce that comes from the occupied territories.

I do wonder if its Palestinians that work in a lot of the fruit picking fields that are being abandoned in trade, anyone know?
  • jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Those that do want to buy Israeli products can get them from Tesco, Asda and now Sainsburys for the first time I noticed today. Thats based on clementines. I noticed for the first time one's grown in israel being sold in Sainsburys.
    I don't think it's at all unusual, have seen Tomatoes and Oranges from Israel a lot in various s/markets including Sainsburys.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do wonder if its Palestinians that work in a lot of the fruit picking fields that are being abandoned in trade, anyone know?

They would mostly be Jewish workers I assume.

Less than 1% of Palestinians in the West Bank work for illegal settlers. The number of Palestinians working for the companies boycotted by the Co-op is unknown.
  • StykerStyker Posts: 49,551
    Forum Member
    They would mostly be Jewish workers.

Less than 1% of Palestinians of the West Bank work for illegal settlers. The number of Palestinians working for the companies boycotted by the Co-op is unknown.

How well are Palestinians employed in Israel itself?

Do they have exact same rights as everyone else in israel? Over the years I have heard they don't on a number of fronts but then I've heard others say they enjoy exact same rights in politics, voting, political parties and marriage. Do you know which is correct?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

According to these figures from Palestinian Central Bureau of Statistics in2010

"14.2 percent in illegal West Bank settlements -- up from 13.9 percent in 2009 "

http://www.maannews.net/eng/ViewDetails.aspx?ID=380412
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,404
    Forum Member
    12Fenwick wrote: »
    You're not actually disappointed though are you?

You've managed to stir up more anti-Israel sentiment so job done.

Personally, I think that's more than a little unfair to 2+2=5 because he (unlike certain others) does not use overtly inflammatory language nor does he incite hatred.
    I think you are a closet Zionist that supports the crimes of the Zionist entity. That may explain why you get an emotional outburst when you see your dear Zionist entity being criticized.
    Why don't you challenge me on my points or agree to disagree with me? Is it because it is easier to accuse me of being an anti-Semite or a hater of Jews ? :)

I frankly don't give a flying fox what you think because you're all (rather virulent) mouth. I've actually supported development projects in the Palestinian Territories and a hospital too with my own money which is no doubt more than you have ever done! V!

You can make as many nasty, poisonous and prejudicial posts as you like but all that will do is reflect badly upon your own character and judgement. I have every respect indeed for the late Edward Said who was an eloquent spokesman for the Palestinian cause (and l dearly wish there were more like him) but l have zero respect for you because of your hate-inspired posts.

• psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you are a closet Zionist that supports the crimes of the Zionist entity. That may explain why you get an emotional outburst when you see your dear Zionist entity being criticized.

I think you're totally wrong. TelevisionUser tends to condemn all sorts of discrimination.

edit: never mind - i didn't see his post above.
    Forum Member
    psionic wrote: »
    I think you're totally wrong. TelevisionUser tends to condemn all sorts of discrimination.

Mange takk/many thanks, psionic. :)
  • Phil 2804Phil 2804 Posts: 21,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nosegay wrote: »
    Of course that made the world of difference. Not the Dutch Reformed Church changing its stance on apartheid. I am afraid whinging students had no effect on South Africa. Nor boycotts. Just the expulsion of the church from the Reformed Circle. Sorry,

I couldn't give a f*** whether it made a difference or not. Its called PRINCIPLES and I don't want a single penny of my money propping up illegal land stealers.

End of story. :D

You obviously don't have a basic understanding of what ethical trading means when put into practice.:rolleyes:
  • Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why don't you challenge me on my points or agree to disagree with me? Is it because it is easier to accuse me of being an anti-Semite or a hater of Jews ? :)

Sorry but this outrageous. It's just insults being spewed out.

And to Television User?
    Hardly any friend of mine, (sorry TV :o) pretty sure I've fallen foul of him before now.

Is nobody else appalled at seeing stuff like this posted here?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How well are Palestinians employed in Israel itself?

Do they have exact same rights as everyone else in israel? Over the years I have heard they don't on a number of fronts but then I've heard others say they enjoy exact same rights in politics, voting, political parties and marriage. Do you know which is correct?

I believe they have the same rights. Arabs do have a higher rate of unemployment and get lower salaries than Jews. There are a lot of problems for Arabs in Israel, but I believe the situation is improving.

Israel also refuses to allow Palestinians refugees to return to their lands in Israel because they are "Palestinian". At the same time Israel allows Jews from all over the world to migrate to Israel. You can even convert to Judaism and have an automatic right to migrate to Israel.
    magratx wrote: »
    According to these figures from Palestinian Central Bureau of Statistics in2010

"14.2 percent in illegal West Bank settlements -- up from 13.9 percent in 2009 "

http://www.maannews.net/eng/ViewDetails.aspx?ID=380412

14.2% of the Palestinian workforce. Not 14.2% of all Palestinians.
    psionic wrote: »

I noticed that, and it is a noble thing to do. I however do not discriminate against people because they are of a certain race. I admit, sometimes I do use inflammatory language, usually in response to inflammatory rhetoric used by other posters. However, in no way does this prove that I'm a racist.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    However, in no way does this prove that I'm a racist.

It doesn't prove anything- but it does tend to ruin your argument. I think you ARE guilty of crossing the line.

And I'll say the same of some of the others on the OTHER side of this unending argument, too.

Don't you see it's this inability to think in any terms other than "one side's good, the other's evil" which makes the whole thing such a f*cking mess?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    Stood up for the Jews ? Really ? Is anyone here anti-Jewish ? Is the co-op anti-Jewish.

Do you support the theft of the West Bank by any chance ? And do you support those illegals that are profiting from the land they stole ?

No, I oppose the theft of Judea and Samaria by Hamas and Islamic Jihad who will use it as a launch pad to attack Jews and exterminate Christians as they are doing in Gaza. And I oppose their sock puppets who spread hatred for Jews - sorry zionists - into every rotten nook and cranny they worm their way into. I'm not overly keen on the PLO either, bearing in mind that Abu Hamza aka President Mahmoud Abbas, i.e. Israel's partner for peace, penned "The Secret Connection Between Nazism And Zionism" and is a Holocaust denier.

And yes I certainly do support Jewish families who are so despised and criminalised by people like you and the Co-Op just because they happen to live and work over the 1947 ceasefire lines. Your campaign of hatred against them is revolting.

Israel has a claim to Judea and Samaria too and unlike the PLO's claim it is based on truth and natural justice rather than propaganda and hatred. And you know that and so do the Arab League in spite of your efforts to rewrite history. If I were Abbas I'd be negotiating a peaceful settlement rather urgently.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    Sorry but this outrageous. It's just insults being spewed out.

And to Television User?
    Hardly any friend of mine, (sorry TV :o) pretty sure I've fallen foul of him before now.

Is nobody else appalled at seeing stuff like this posted here?

Yes, which is why I registered :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    It doesn't prove anything- but it does tend to ruin your argument. I think you ARE guilty of crossing the line.

And I'll say the same of some of the others on the OTHER side of this unending argument, too.

Don't you see it's this inability to think in any terms other than "one side's good, the other's evil" which makes the whole thing such a f*cking mess?

Will all due respect, I do not say that one side is evil and the other is good. Both sides have committed evil and continue to do evil However, it is also true that Israel is the biggest aggressor, being responsible for some very horrific things and having attacked its neighbours at least 5 times for no valid reason. Zionism is also the root cause of this whole conflict. Hence why I talk more about Israel and Zionism than for instance about Hamas.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Partisan wrote: »
    No, I oppose the theft of Judea and Samaria by Hamas and Islamic Jihad who will use it as a launch pad to attack Jews and exterminate Christians as they are doing in Gaza. And I oppose their sock puppets who spread hatred for Jews - sorry zionists - into every rotten nook and cranny they worm their way into. I'm not overly keen on the PLO either, bearing in mind that Abu Hamza aka President Mahmoud Abbas, i.e. Israel's partner for peace, penned "The Secret Connection Between Nazism And Zionism" and is a Holocaust denier.

And yes I certainly do support Jewish families who are so despised and criminalised by people like you and the Co-Op just because they happen to live and work over the 1947 ceasefire lines. Your campaign of hatred against them is revolting.

Israel has a claim to Judea and Samaria too and unlike the PLO's claim it is based on truth and natural justice rather than propaganda and hatred. And you know that and so do the Arab League in spite of your efforts to rewrite history. If I were Abbas I'd be negotiating a peaceful settlement rather urgently.

Just out of curiosity, did the bible tell you that Israel has a claim to the West Bank and Gaza or Judea and Samaria as you call it ?
    If I were Abbas I'd be negotiating a peaceful settlement rather urgently.

If I were Netenyahu I'd accept Abbas's peace plan rather quickly. The peace plan backed by most countries in the world. But if you guys persist on building settlements, you will make the 2 state solution no longer possible and you will find that there will be 1 state where Palestinians are majority and Jews are a minority, this = No Israel.
    Forum Member
    Yes, which is why I registered :)

However, you should also be aware that many of us, me included, want a settlement that gives a fully viable independent Palestinian state to the Palestinians which is what they truly deserve and that gives peace and security to Israel and Israelis which is what they deserve too. There is a rather good, and indeed fair, peace settlement blueprint here: http://www.geneva-accord.org/mainmenu/static-maps/

A 10/10 also goes to the Brazilian Parliament for their recent endorsement in support of the Geneva Initiative.
  • JamesC81JamesC81 Posts: 14,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    be fair, Israel has been attacked a fair amount of times itself by its dangerous neighbours. it's literally a country that has to fight to survive from neighbors that want it destroyed. what other countries exist in this fashion
  • -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ennui wrote: »
    It seems to me that the Co Op are motivated by shabby tokenism. Either that or, like so much of British society, the Co Op has been infiltrated by the mahometans.

I will be boycotting the Co Op just as soon as I have cashed in my loyalty card. I was never balloted on this issue, so thanks for highlighting this clandestine, partisan, anti semitic stance of the Co Op. I will be more than happy to take my business elsewhere.

Hang on, why does opposing Israel's policies in the West Bank automatically make someone anti-semitic?

There is a growing network of British Jews called "Jews For Justice For Palestine" who extend support to Palestinians trapped in a spiral of violence and repression, and who counter the claim that opposing Israel’s policies is anti-semitic. And good for them I say.
  • AbewestAbewest Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think

No you don't. Not once. Not ever.

you are a closet Zionist that supports the crimes of the Zionist entity. That may explain why you get an emotional outburst when you see your dear Zionist entity being criticized.

As you've just proved for the umpteenth time.
  • TonyfaceTonyface Posts: 1,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tonyface wrote: »
    Totally agree, even though I am not a great lover of Islam, if people cannot see that Isreal's treatment of Palestinians is unjust then there is something wrong with them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3ETBtR6HeE&feature=related

Here is a reminder of how our media attempts to twist our perception of the conflict.
    Palestinian does not = Muslim or Islam. 167,000 Palestinian Christians live in the West Bank. Palestinian Jews, Atheists and Agnostics also exist.

I know that you are just mincing my words, I followed my statement saying that I am no lover of Islam with a comma, because it is a separate statement intending to set the context for the one that is to follow.

The Israeli settlers and military have been persecuting Christians as well as other ethnic minorities just as much as the Muslim population, in order to try and get them to leave, their illegally occupied territories.
    That is why I find it ironic that the Christian's see the Israeli's in such a good light through the prism of our media.
  • 2+2=52+2=5 Posts: 24,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -Sid- wrote: »
    Hang on, why does opposing Israel's policies in the West Bank automatically make someone anti-semitic?

There is a growing network of British Jews called "Jews For Justice For Palestine" who extend support to Palestinians trapped in a spiral of violence and repression, and who counter the claim that opposing Israel’s policies is anti-semitic. And good for them I say.

I think it was wrong to bring up suggestions of anti-Semitism as that poster did. That they have not returned to the thread since might point to their recognising this but if course I can't say that for sure.

It's a shame we can't be more upfront when its time to hold our hands up and admit we were wrong (guilty of it myself) but the extremely steadfast and stubborn aspect of this discussion doesn't seem to make admissions of such things very forthcoming.

I had not heard of Jews For Justice For Palestine before. Given the general animosity between both sides it's good to see his sort of thing happening - would be good to see more of this sentiment from the Palestinian side too. It does take two to tango.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

"happen to live".......
    Dear oh dear.
    Your name is clearly well chosen.
    They don't happen to live there. They chose to. Illegally. Against the wishes of the UN AND their own government.

Being "God's chosen people" isn't a claim.
    Nor is having previously lived there nearly 2,000 years ago.
  • ennuiennui Posts: 1,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -Sid- wrote: »
    It does not make them automatically anti-semitic. I described the Co-Op boycott as an anti-semitic stance, as it is clearly taking sides in an international geo political issue with huge consequences and ramifications. I am aware that in my own country there is a volatile and vocal insurgency of people wanting to destroy our way of life much the same as they want to destroy the Israeli way of life. Qatada is just one of their high profile ring leaders. I see no reason to tolerate their ambitions or ideals or side with nor promote their campaign of hate and destruction.

It is therefore my choice to never shop at the Co-Op. I choose to take my business elsewhere, furthermore I will make every effort to buy Israeli produce and products.

Are the Co-Op considering boycotting Poland and Polish goods? Somehow the East Prussian issue doesn't make the same headlines these days. Funny that.