Options

Dental Advice..........

evie71evie71 Posts: 1,372
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I had some root canal work done on a back tooth about a month ago by my dentist, initially she said that the tooth may need to be crowned but at a review appointment a week later, my dentist said a filling would do. I'd already paid £50 for the root canal but because I wanted a white filling. I stumped up an extra £100 for it. Anyway, a few days ago I was seeing my hygienist who said that the tooth should have been crowned and not filled due to being able to clean and floss between the tooth and suggested I have it crowned. That's all very well but I'm a bit peeved at maybe having to fork out again for a crown when I've already paid £100 for a filling which my dentist said would suffice.
Another thing which has annoyed me is that a friend has just told me she has all her white fillings on the NHS yet I had to pay for mine!
Anyone know where I stand with this before I approach the dental practice.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    babinabababinaba Posts: 5,447
    Forum Member
    I don't know about the crown/filling issue, but with white fillings on the NHS, I believe you can get them free depending on what tooth the filling is in, I was told my back filling wouldn't be free for white but if it was one of the visible teeth that needed it, it would have been.
  • Options
    soap-leasoap-lea Posts: 23,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    evie71 wrote: »
    I had some root canal work done on a back tooth about a month ago by my dentist, initially she said that the tooth may need to be crowned but at a review appointment a week later, my dentist said a filling would do. I'd already paid £50 for the root canal but because I wanted a white filling. I stumped up an extra £100 for it. Anyway, a few days ago I was seeing my hygienist who said that the tooth should have been crowned and not filled due to being able to clean and floss between the tooth and suggested I have it crowned. That's all very well but I'm a bit peeved at maybe having to fork out again for a crown when I've already paid £100 for a filling which my dentist said would suffice.
    Another thing which has annoyed me is that a friend has just told me she has all her white fillings on the NHS yet I had to pay for mine!

Thanks

are you registered as a nhs or private patient? if you are registered as private you can't get nhs treatment

I had a white filling done when my tooth cracked and broke on the nhs cost me £50, it lasted two years, a filling I had had approx 15yrs ago came out and I was waitng to have that filled when the filling just fell out, I wasn't even eating or anything.
    so when I went to my filling appointment the dentist did both, including the checkup a few weeks before it cost me £50

I only have those two teeth with fillings so hopefully it will be a long while before i need more
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member

Thanks

Different dental professionals might approach the same problem in different ways based on their own experience of what's worked with their own patients so it's not necessarily a matter of who's right and who's wrong. In my entirely different area of work, I have a couple of colleagues whom I really respect but I do differ with them on occasion about how to deal with certain practical issues that come up.

You could wait until your next scheduled dental check to raise this matter but if it really does bother you then by all means phone them and set up a specific appointment.
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    White fillings in front teeth, or involving certain surfaces of back teeth are available on the NHS. You had a root canal treatment, so that filling would have involved the "biting" surface. As such it definitely is not available on the NHS and you've been correctly advised it would be a private treatment. Your friend, although well meaning, has only served to confuse you and undermine your confidence in your dentist with her inaccurate advice. If your friend genuinely has had big white fillings involving the biting surfaces of back teeth done on the NHS, then her dentist has basically been carrying out charity work, because he won't have been paid for it. A dentist simply cannot claim for white fillings in biting surfaces of back teeth on the NHS. So highly doubtful he's doing pro bono work for your friend, unless he is a friend or family member.

As far as the filling/crown issue goes, different dentists will prefer doing different things. Your dentist has done your root canal treatment and resorted your tooth. The buck stops with her. With all due respect to your hygienist, she isn't qualified enough to know any better than a dentist. As such, I would believe my dentist before my hygienist on that particular issue.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    babinaba wrote: »
    I don't know about the crown/filling issue, but with white fillings on the NHS, I believe you can get them free depending on what tooth the filling is in, I was told my back filling wouldn't be free for white but if it was one of the visible teeth that needed it, it would have been.

Yes I thought the same, It's the fourth one in from the front but my friends are also all back fillings and white and free!:confused: I'm going to take it up with my dentist or choose another one.

Thanks for reply.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    White fillings in front teeth, or involving certain surfaces of back teeth are available on the NHS. You had a root canal treatment, so that filling would have involved the "biting" surface. As such it definitely is not available on the NHS and you've been correctly advised it would be a private treatment. Your friend, although well meaning, has only served to confuse you and undermine your confidence in your dentist with her inaccurate advice. If your friend genuinely has had big white fillings involving the biting surfaces of back teeth done on the NHS, then her dentist has basically been carrying out charity work, because he won't have been paid for it. A dentist simply cannot claim for white fillings in biting surfaces of back teeth on the NHS. So highly doubtful he's doing pro bono work for your friend, unless he is a friend or family member.

As far as the filling/crown issue goes, different dentists will prefer doing different things. Your dentist has done your root canal treatment and resorted your tooth. The buck stops with her.

Thanks for reply but it was not my hygienist but periodantalist SP? ( I did say hygienist in OP though as he also said the same) I'm having veneers fitted and he is a lot higher trained than a dentist. Thanks for your reply and I do understand a bit more about the white fillings now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for reply but it was not my hygienist but periodantalist SP? ( I did say hygienist in OP though as he also said the same) I'm having veneers fitted and he is a lot higher trained than a dentist. Thanks for your reply and I do understand a bit more about the white fillings now.

Fair enough. As I mentioned, different dentists will do different things. It's a clinical call, which means neither option is "wrong" as such. There will be people out there who've had a massive filling after a root canal treatment and it's been in place for many years. There will also be people out there who have had a crown placed immediately after a root canal filling which has broken off a few weeks later. A dentist can make a call about that sort of thing in terms of likely success/failure, but none of them can be definite about it and none of them will claim to have a crystal ball.

It's confusing. One person can go to five different dentists and be given five different treatment plans. And none of them are necessarily "wrong".
  • Options
    marieukxxmarieukxx Posts: 4,878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a root canal filled with a white filling. I was told it has to be crowned after a good few months of waiting just to ensure the root canal worked. I have an appointment for my crown in a few weeks. My dentist said the tooth isn't as strong now and could basically break down the middle and then there's no saving it that's why they crown it.

I am lucky though as I am NHS. I think you are peeved because you paid extra for a white filling when really it's gonna need to be covered so why pay the extra? I would mention that to your dentist. Did they not offer the cheaper filling and tell you at the time it would need crowning?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marieukxx wrote: »
    I had a root canal filled with a white filling. I was told it has to be crowned after a good few months of waiting just to ensure the root canal worked. I have an appointment for my crown in a few weeks. My dentist said the tooth isn't as strong now and could basically break down the middle and then there's no saving it that's why they crown it.

I am lucky though as I am NHS. I think you are peeved because you paid extra for a white filling when really it's gonna need to be covered so why pay the extra? I would mention that to your dentist. Did they not offer the cheaper filling and tell you at the time it would need crowning?

Yes you're spot on with your post. I'm peeved because I've just paid out £100 for something which was never going to be adequate and now I may have to pay out ££ to correct it. Originally my dentist did say that she would have to fit a crown but at the review, she said a filling would do and that white would be the best option, so I followed her advice. I'm now feeling a little 'done' tbh, my cosmetic dentist has told me to get it done asap because it's likely to crack and cleaning in between is very hard. I'm feeling she thinks I have money to burn (veneers, teeth whitening, cleaning) and is trying it on. She's new btw, and greek.
  • Options
    SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's obvious what's happening here. You don't need to crown root canal treated teeth, that hygienist lady is talking rubbish. You can still floss between your teeth, just try it ! I have a root canal filled tooth and it was done years ago and been absolutely fine. The only thing about these teeth is that they have a tendency to go a grey colour ! She's new and trying it on as you say - trying to get loads of money for unnecessary work.
  • Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    babinaba wrote: »

I'm with an NHS dentist & had to pay for white fillings. The thing is I don't think theres some water tight "standard" to which dentists are expected to conform.
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's obvious what's happening here. You don't need to crown root canal treated teeth, that hygienist lady is talking rubbish. You can still floss between your teeth, just try it ! I have a root canal filled tooth and it was done years ago and been absolutely fine. The only thing about these teeth is that they have a tendency to go a grey colour ! She's new and trying it on as you say - trying to get loads of money for unnecessary work.

Whether you need a crown or not depends on the tooth and how damaged it is, it is not a black and white decision so different dentists may have a different opinion on a particular tooth.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    boddism wrote: »
    I'm with an NHS dentist & had to pay for white fillings. The thing is I don't think theres some water tight "standard" to which dentists are expected to conform.

On the contrary. There absolutely IS a watertight standard to which dentists are expected to conform.

See my earlier post about it. Dentists can do white fillings on the NHS on any surfaces of front teeth (the first three on each side - incisors and canine). In teeth further back, they can do them on the NHS only on the "side" surface - NOT on the biting surface.

At the end of a treatment plan, the dentist has to submit a "claim" to the NHS for the work they've done. They have to record exactly what they've done, when they've done it and on which surfaces of which tooth or teeth. Someone looks at it and if it doesn't conform to what they're permitted to do on an NHS patient, they simply wouldn't be paid for it. A dentist would NOT be paid by the NHS for doing a white filling in the biting surface of a back tooth. That's why they only do them privately.

Honestly, despite the deep mistrust and frankly insulting stuff you'll read about the dental profession on the Internet and in the press, dentists are more heavily scrutinised and accountable to the authorities than ANY other health care professional.