Options

Doctor Who 2015 DVD/Blu-Ray Release Schedule

Comments

• Options
    ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    Theophile wrote: »
    I just finished watching Horror of Fang Rock. It was fun. I was pretty tired of the lady screaming through the whole thing, so I was glad when she died, but I was sad when The Colonel died; I liked him. :(

Overall it was good fun, though. :):):)

Pretty catastrophic death rate, if I remember correctly. The Doctor and Leela were the only survivors :o
  • Options
    TheophileTheophile Posts: 2,947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thrombin wrote: »
    Pretty catastrophic death rate, if I remember correctly. The Doctor and Leela were the only survivors :o

Yes, they were. And that really surprised me. I was expecting somebody else to survive.
  • Options
    bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Horror of fang rock is one of those dvds I think could do with a makeover. A bit of optional cgi to make the rutan a more convincing alien. Thats my 1000th post:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Horror of fang rock is one of those dvds I think could do with a makeover. A bit of optional cgi to make the rutan a more convincing alien. Thats my 1000th post:)

Congratulations :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just finished watching Underworld with Tom Baker as The Doctor. I really liked the story. I thought that the filming looked a bit fake and cheesy, but then I watched the special feature explaining how they did it and I just am in awe. How they filmed it on almost no budget was amazing. Anyways, it was a lot of fun. :) By the way, that was my last Tom Baker serial. I now own and have watched all of his stories on DVD. He is my favorite Doctor, so I am kind of sad that there are no more stories with him in them for me to discover. :(

My normal Doctor Who watching group also finished Pertwee's The Ambassadors of Death this evening. That one was also a lot of fun. It even had a couple of James Bond-esque sequences in it, which, according to the special features on another serial, kind of blew away the budget. LOL! :) Soon, we will watch The Inferno, which, I hear is a classic and then it is on to meet The Master. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Inferno is a classic. Similar theme to star treks mirror mirror and the alternative universe stuff they did in st deep space nine. A little overlong at times. Also the restoration on the special edition is far superior to the original release.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've almost finished Tom Baker's run with my rewatch. Just finished Warriors' Gate (Romana II and K9's swan song) and only have Keeper of Traken and Logopolis to go before Peter Davison.

Warriors' Gate was another one with a lot of green screen virtual sets. I have to say I enjoyed it much more than I remembered the first time round. Some really good humour in it, I thought, and some seriously surreal stuff :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, it is now Mardi Gras. :)

Also, it is the day when Last Christmas is finally released here in the US.

That makes the list:

The Underwater Menace - UK: ?, US: ?

I do hope that we hear something soon on either a date for The Underwater Menace or a date for the first four Series to be released separately on Blu-Ray. Does anybody have any information about either of these?

P.S. I just watched Survival. It was rough; it looked like they only had a three Pound budget and that they didn't spend all of it. The mascot outfits were really questionable. It is sad, too, that the show went out on that note right after the really good The Curse of Fenric. Oh, well. Tomorrow or Wednesday, I will probably watch the TV Movie. I haven't seen it since it aired in the 1990's. I can't believe that it has been twenty years. Wow.
  • Options
    Dr jake youngDr jake young Posts: 652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watching caves of androzani tonight. I started watching one episodes per night in January 2014 beginning with spearhead from space. Also picked up tenth planet, ice warriors and the curse of fenric today, which i shall watch after I've completed the classic era!

On another note, question time:

If they started releasing classic season boxsets, featuring recons for the missing episodes and all the special features for the dvd releases and ported them over to big blu ray boxes, would you re buy them knowing you've got the original releases? I have a feeling that they are going to be doing that very soon.
  • Options
    GDKGDK Posts: 9,478
    Forum Member
    I don't have a large collection of classic DW, just a few DVDs and "Spearhead from Space" on Blu Ray. A season by season release is just what I've been waiting for. It's the usual way television series are released.

Classic DW is quite unusual in that it's only been individual releases so far.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GDK wrote: »
    I don't have a large collection of classic DW, just a few DVDs and "Spearhead from Space" on Blu Ray. A season by season release is just what I've been waiting for. It's the usual way television series are released.

Classic DW is quite unusual in that it's only been individual releases so far.

It goes back to the old VHS days, I think. TV shows weren't released too much on VHS, but Doctor Who was because the 1.5-2.5 hour adventures made them basically a perfect movie style. :)
  • Options
    cat666cat666 Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The trouble with classic Who is that series are huge. 60's Who serials were 6+ x 25mins long each. It gets a bit more manageable in the 70's/80's but some are still fairly hefty. With all that material there is no room for extras, and the extras are usually awesome. I'd rather have them serial by serial.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    cat666 wrote: »
    The trouble with classic Who is that series are huge. 60's Who serials were 6+ x 25mins long each. It gets a bit more manageable in the 70's/80's but some are still fairly hefty. With all that material there is no room for extras, and the extras are usually awesome. I'd rather have them serial by serial.

I take your point, but with all those DVD cases an awful lot of shelf yards are required. :)

Recent DVD packaging is much more space efficient in that way. Several discs can fit within a normal, single thickness case. Many shows have done season by season releases (or even whole series) with space for plenty of extras.

And if they were released on blu ray (still in SD of course) the number of discs needed would reduce even more.

And keep our US friends happy. :)
  • Options
    chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because DW is a series of serials (ie: self-contained stories) and there's no real need to watch them in order, and also because there's just so much DW, I feel some seasons would sell better than others if released season-by-season. The B&W stuff will sell less than the colour stuff. The Hinchcliffe stuff will sell better than the JNT stuff. Etc. Season-by-season boxsets are unlikely, I think, because of this. This is also the key driving force behind the piecemeal release of VHS and DVD in the past. People won't swarm out in their droves to buy The Space Museum, but will do for Genesis of the Daleks. Less popular stories balance out the more popular, etc. Difficult to manage for "season boxsets". Imagine 26 of those: half a dozen would sell out immediately, a dozen would do "okay", half a dozen would moulder on the shelves in HMV.

BTW: lovely to read Theophile's thoughts about Underworld. Frankly, it's a bloody awful story ... and then you realise the behind-the-scenes pressures and are amazed that they ever completed it at all. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GDK wrote: »
    I take your point, but with all those DVD cases an awful lot of shelf yards are required. :)

Recent DVD packaging is much more space efficient in that way. Several discs can fit within a normal, single thickness case. Many shows have done season by season releases (or even whole series) with space for plenty of extras.

And if they were released on blu ray (still in SD of course) the number of discs needed would reduce even more.

And keep our US friends happy. :)

And remember that SD for you is still an improvement of picture quality for us. We would have a noticeable improvement in picture quality if all of your SD lines were transferred to the Blu-Ray format.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    And remember that SD for you is still an improvement of picture quality for us. We would have a noticeable improvement in picture quality if all of your SD lines were transferred to the Blu-Ray format.

I remembered you raising that point in several earlier discussions. That's why I said "And keep our US friends happy." ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Today 24th February is the 1 year anniversary of the last classic dvd release in the uk, the web of fear. Also according to the guys on gb the bbc have pulled the underwater menace from the 2015 schedule. Looks like the final end of the range one release short:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Today 24th February is the 1 year anniversary of the last classic dvd release in the uk, the web of fear. Also according to the guys on gb the bbc have pulled the underwater menace from the 2015 schedule. Looks like the final end of the range one release short:(

Makes me feel less guilty about watching The Underwater Menace episode 2 on Daily Motion this morning then.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What?!? So they have 717 existing episodes of the show and they are going to release all except for one on DVD? Really?
  • Options
    grazey1985grazey1985 Posts: 1,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What?!? So they have 717 existing episodes of the show and they are going to release all except for one on DVD? Really?

The official line given is that been pulled from the schedule while it's getting its viability reassessed. Doesn't mean it's not getting released but it's not looking good.

It's a victim of when it was found more than anything else. I know some are calling it a disgrace but It could have been worse. At least it's available online. It could have not been leaked and then we wouldn't have the ability to watch it at all. I know some say it should have been on moonbase or ice warriors but then you would get people complaining about having to buy one story just to get another and the bbc will be forcing us to buy the episode twice. Bbcww wouldn't win regardless what they did. I expect to be released in the bbc store when it opens opens in the next few months.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grazey1985 wrote: »
    The official line given is that been pulled from the schedule while it's getting its viability reassessed. Doesn't mean it's not getting released but it's not looking good.

What puzzles me is the work obviously already done. Episode 3 is already re-mastered, released on Lost in Time, so they have no work to do there. It would be safe to assume the animation has been ordered, and at least some work carried out, unless it was stopped for the whole Phil Morris thing. All that's left is the remastering of episode 2, and to me it looks like an easy restoration as the Daily Motion leak isn't a bad copy.

So to me it makes little sense not to push ahead with it, unless of course we do have episodes 1 & 4 back and we are still waiting on Phil Morris. However if this was the case, why bother pulling it at this stage? 2015 is still a long year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From what has been said on gb there is another 2 weeks work of audio restoration required. All the extras are good to go. I am presuming the cost of animating episode 1 and 4 is the reason it has been shelved for now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    For anyone who's disappointed that The Underwater Menace has been removed from the schedules, the best thing you can do it politely let BBC Worldwide know that you're interested in seeing it released. The number of enquiries they receive regarding specific titles are passed on to the relevant departments, so the more people enquire about The Underwater Menace DVD the more demand they'll see for it.

You can get in contact with them through any of the following methods:
    - Send an enquiry using their online contact form, at: http://www.bbcworldwide.com/contact-us.aspx
    - Send a polite letter registering your interest to the following address:
    BBC Worldwide Ltd
    33 Foley Street
    London
    W1W 7TL
    UK

- Send a tweet to @bbcwpress or @classicdw showing your support, including the hashtag #SaveTheFishPeople

There's also an online petition you can sign to help show BBC Worldwide that there's still a market for this release, with over 800 signatures at the time of writing: https://www.change.org/p/bbc-worldwide-please-release-doctor-who-the-underwater-menace-on-dvd/u/9804176.

I'd strongly suggest anyone who signs the petition also contacts BBC Worldwide using one of the contact methods listed above to register their interest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You know those cards that we receive in every DVD purchase? We should all write in bold sharpie on each of those cards "Please Release Underwater Menace on DVD!" and send them all in. I think that ten thousand cards might change their minds. :):):)