Does anyone else miss the 'old' Doctor Who?

2»

Comments

• tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I miss 'Old' Doctor Who. In particular, the characters.

I really miss Amy. I also miss Rose Tyler a lot, too.

Doctor Who, IMO, was better when David Tennant was in the lead role. After David announced at the NTA's in 2008 that he was leaving, I thought, "The show's not going to be the same without him." :(

That's true enough, but only to an extent. Matt Smith brought warmth, charm, and his own type of humour to the show. A lot of the time, The Eleventh Doctor had a smile that was lovely. He also had a more dark side to his nature, so he could try to fight aliens, other evil characters and try to right the wrongs that had happened.

I think, why Doctor Who hasn't been as good since 2011, is the writing. Also, some of the actors chosen to be in the show since 2011, have been less than impressive.
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We have collectively talked about this at length in the past.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1955392

Well, it's basically a RTD v SM thread really, isn't it. That's new.
  • Simon_FostonSimon_Foston Posts: 398
    Forum Member
    I don't miss the 2005-2010 era at all. I enjoyed it (most of the time) and have watched all the episodes at least three or four times, but I haven't seen any of them recently and in general prefer what Steven Moffat has been doing with the series.
  • doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,327
    Forum Member
    Well, it's basically a RTD v SM thread really, isn't it. That's new.
    Actually I was posting in response to the idea about it still being called 'new/nu who' after 10 years and linked to a thread I started a while ago based on that subject.

Regarding this thread, it basically is RTD v SM true, but lets face it, it's a subject where we never seem to run out of discussion material no matter how many times it gets brought up.
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually I was posting in response to the idea about it still being called 'new/nu who' after 10 years and linked to a thread I started a while ago based on that subject.

Regarding this thread, it basically is RTD v SM true, but lets face it, it's a subject where we never seem to run out of discussion material no matter how many times it gets brought up.

Whoops. Followed the link this time! I agree with the incredibly intelligent posters who use the terms C20 and C21 Who if you need to differentiate. ;-)
  • broadshoulderbroadshoulder Posts: 18,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes

Now I have collected the old DVDs I started on Hartnell and progressed to troughton

Now on the moonbase..
  • TARDIS BlueTARDIS Blue Posts: 10,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not really. I thought the RTD era was very hit and miss. It could be great one week, and then crap the next. I'm not Moffat's biggest fan but I feel there is slightly more consistency in the quality of the series now. Truth is both writers have their strengths and weaknesses. I don't feel that one is any better or worse than the other.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 199
    Forum Member
    I love Moffat as a writer and S5 is my favourite, but something hasn't been quite right with the show since S5. It's still enjoyable but S6/7 particuarly were very disjointed and, for the most part, poor.

S8 was slightly better.

Just like to add again, I like Moffat a lot and think he's the best writer on the show..
  • daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's kinda curious reading this thread. It's nice to see people looking back on a time they like in New Series Doctor Who and regarding it as old, in much the same way I've been feeling about Classic Who for years!

It's always nice looking back on a period of the show you used to really enjoy and wonder why it's changed so much from what you used to like. I remember by Trial Of a Time Lord scratching my head and wondering if this was still the same show; it seemed to have changed so much by then since Peter Davison took over.

For me, I still do prefer the first four series. Current Doctor Who still doesn't excite me as much as it used to when it first came back but I liked the last Series a lot and look forward to what Series 9 has to offer with a greater sense of anticipation than I have for a while.

:)
  • nattoyakinattoyaki Posts: 7,080
    Forum Member
    It really hit its stride in 3 and 4 for me (despite some really ludicrous moments), 5 was a great start with a new doc and showrunner, then 6 & 7 Matt was always good despite what he had to work with (Moff lost the plot imo).

8 looked like a promising return to form so...fingers crossed :)