Options

Expendables 3 Leaked!

EVILSPEAKEVILSPEAK Posts: 980
Forum Member
✭✭
Yeah, already it's turning up in the usual places in a very nice copy. Sad thing is this might really hurt the box office takings (opens next month) and kill off any chance of a 4th. Which is a pity since they are pretty enjoyable.

Comments

• Options
    FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Inside job?

Kinda sad.

It doesn't justify it but I do think cinemas are overpriced these days (especially if you go as a family it can be a costly day out upwards of £40+ with popcorn and drinks), I normally wait for the DVD to come out.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 468
    Forum Member
    Big loss for the film, it's DVD quality so the majority will flock for it.

The second film's box office was quite disappointing looks like this won't hit $300 million, especially if the folks in Asia see this up to 3-4 weeks in advance.

That said a good worth of mouth can really help the film and has done in the past.
  • Options
    Los_TributosLos_Tributos Posts: 2,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the heads up, looks to be great quality. Will watch in the morning, hoping for an improvement on the last one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's DVD quality with no timecode or watermarks, you couldn't ask for better. As for the film itself...........oh dear!
  • Options
    austino6austino6 Posts: 301
    Forum Member
    Last time i remember this happening was I am legend.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    austino6 wrote: »
    Last time i remember this happening was I am legend.

I am Legend turned up 2 weeks after it opened at cinema's. X-Men Origins: Wolverine turned up a month before hitting cinema's in a workprint copy with some special effects missing, that was the last time this happened.
  • Options
    austino6austino6 Posts: 301
    Forum Member
    EVILSPEAK wrote: »
    I am Legend turned up 2 weeks after it opened at cinema's. X-Men Origins: Wolverine turned up a month before hitting cinema's in a workprint copy with some special effects missing, that was the last time this happened.

Completely forgot about origins i remember the green screen & stuff now that i think about it why in the hell did i watch that.
  • Options
    darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have already prebooked my ticket to see this on it's opening. But will grab this as a freebie in case my cinema is full of loud mouthed teenagers. The last two Expendables films I saw at the cinema was ruined by teenagers mouthing off & even tho they got chucked out, the cinema didn't offer a free ticket to see the film uninterrupted. So won't load it up until after it's release at the cinema, as I want to get my monies worth. If there are screaming kids at the showing, then I will just watch the freebie, no harm done. :D
  • Options
    be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EVILSPEAK wrote: »
    It's DVD quality with no timecode or watermarks, you couldn't ask for better. As for the film itself...........oh dear!
    And that's the problem in a nutshell; high quality bootlegs kill bad films and spread positive "word of mouth" about good films.

I would never purchase a legit copy of Creepshow 3 because it's such utterly contemptible drivel. However, I was happy to buy a legit copy of No One Lives because I felt the filmmakers deserved payment.
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So anyone who's seen this can they give us a spoiler-free review?

Talk about all the different action stars - who's in it the most and who isn't? Who gets the best scenes? What's the action like? How does it scrub up as an ensemble piece?

Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    Shak2005Shak2005 Posts: 656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I havent seen it myself but i have been scrolling the imdb boards. Mostly they say Stallone and Statham hog the limelight once again, too much focus on the new reruits Kellan Lutz, Ronda Rousey who no one really cares about. lack of blood in action scenes. seems like its been cut from R to PG-13.

legends like Jet Li and Dolph Lundgren are wasted with nothing much to do. Wesley Snipes has some good moments. Antonio Banderas also provides some humour. Harrison Ford has a good cameo. Mel gibson is good as villain but his fight scene with Stallone too short. action scenes not that exciting mainly because lack of blood. Arnold's role is same length as second film and he gets to deliver a famous line from his old movie.

mixed reviews so far.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really enjoyed it, probably the best in the series, definitely better than the last one.

For those asking about screen time, really only Stallone has any. Gibson probably has the next highest amount, but due to the plot no one else gets a look in, even Statham.

I don't know if this version was unfinished as there was no CG blood, or perhaps they're just going for a kiddie friendly rating this time.

Unfortunately it would be fair to assume that this leak will likely kill the franchise, a shame as the ending sets up a fourth one nicely.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 411
    Forum Member
    I really enjoyed it, probably the best in the series, definitely better than the last one.

For those asking about screen time, really only Stallone has any. Gibson probably has the next highest amount, but due to the plot no one else gets a look in, even Statham.

I don't know if this version was unfinished as there was no CG blood, or perhaps they're just going for a kiddie friendly rating this time.

Unfortunately it would be fair to assume that this leak will likely kill the franchise, a shame as the ending sets up a fourth one nicely.

if it turns out to be a 12A I really hope this illegal copy hurts box office. I'm sick of action films being downgraded to kiddie friendly version. What's happened to the action movies of the 80s that were made for adults? First Die Hard now Expendables. No thanks.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    dbob wrote: »
    if it turns out to be a 12A I really hope this illegal copy hurts box office. I'm sick of action films being downgraded to kiddie friendly version. What's happened to the action movies of the 80s that were made for adults? First Die Hard now Expendables. No thanks.

Stallone has said it will be a PG-13 in the US, but that could still net it a 15 in the UK...

And the simple answer is, it's harder for adult 15 and 18 rated films that aren't comedies to make money these days...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Variety has reported on it with the headline "‘Expendables 3’ Leaks Online, Pirated Copy Downloaded 189,000 Times in 24 Hours". They go on to say "With 21 days left to go before the Aug. 15 premiere, the number of illegal downloads of “Expendables 3″ will certainly soar into the millions".

I think it's fair to say the films dead in the water box office wise. But it'll still be interesting to see where it debuts in the charts and what it's opening weekend is.
  • Options
    Trevor_C7Trevor_C7 Posts: 184
    Forum Member
    Expendables 3 already classified at 12A uncut by the BBFC. Very disappointing. Stallone should be ashamed.

I've watched the 5 minute pre-credit sequence. Can best be described as a very sanitised, bloodless, bullet hit less, early Brosnan era Bond film with some rather cheap looking CGI. I found it quite similar to the opening of Goldeneye, though that was much better than the turgid, family action films that Stallone's now churning out.

I'm not sure I'll bother with the rest of it unless I've nothing better to do. If it makes nothing at the box office due to the leak, it will serve Stallone right. Wouldn't surprise me if someone directly connected to the film leaked it because they were pissed at him turning it in to a kids movie. Given the first two movies did pretty badly, especially in the US, I'm surprised there's been a third. The leak could kill the franchise. I won't miss it.
  • Options
    JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,103
    Forum Member
    The trailer says They're back for one last ride. So i assume that means there will not be another one. Saw it last night and pretty much agree with the comments on this thread. The violence was noticeably cut down. Guns firing all over the place and not a trace of blood which looked a bit odd. The final showdown between Stallone and Gibson seemed a bit rushed as said already. But yes definitely a 12A film.
  • Options
    abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    Most of the people who download and watch this would most likely never have gone to see it in the cinema in the first place.

I enjoyed it. Plenty of action, lots of stars and my interest never waned.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JEFF62 wrote: »
    The trailer says They're back for one last ride. So i assume that means there will not be another one. Saw it last night and pretty much agree with the comments on this thread. The violence was noticeably cut down. Guns firing all over the place and not a trace of blood which looked a bit odd. The final showdown between Stallone and Gibson seemed a bit rushed as said already. But yes definitely a 12A film.

The ending sets up a fourth film. The 'one last ride' line relates to the 'current' Expendables line up.
  • Options
    DirtyBarrySpeedDirtyBarrySpeed Posts: 1,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    US films are being ruined by Studios who are obsessed with getting a lower rating.

NC17 horror films being butchered at the cutting room floor so that the movie gets an R rating. Explosive action movies trimming movies to get R or PG 13 though Expendables 3 did start off as a PG 13 so I'm guessing not much was cut from it in the first place.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dbob wrote: »

Were you serious? Most 12A/PG-13 films nowadays are more violent than most R films during the 1980s. The Terminator was rated R during its theatrical release, but if it were released today, it'd be rated 12A/PG-13.

As for hoping that this illegal copy hurts box office? You're no film fan.

Edited:
    Here's the report*: Gun Violence Trends in Movies (2013). Ignore the bits about 'weapons effect', aggression and blah blah. Just read the bits about the differences between action films of the 1980s and today. It's quite an eye-opener.

*Click on 'Full Text (PDF)' in the sidebar to read the entire thing. You need a PDF viewer to read it if your browser doesn't have a PDF-viewer plugin. If you don't have either, download this free small but great application: Foxit Reader.
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    abarthman wrote: »
    Most of the people who download and watch this would most likely never have gone to see it in the cinema in the first place.

I enjoyed it. Plenty of action, lots of stars and my interest never waned.

I would not have the first idea where you would look to download this, and if I did I would feel a bit naughty doing it, how do you lot even know where to look?lol
  • Options
    DirtyBarrySpeedDirtyBarrySpeed Posts: 1,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the 80s we had movies like Robocop, Rambo, Die Hard, Terminator, Predator, Lethal Weapon, Commando, The Running Man.

Studios didn't seem to have an issue with these all being rated 18 in the UK.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the 80s we had movies like Robocop, Rambo, Die Hard, Terminator, Predator, Lethal Weapon, Commando, The Running Man.

Studios didn't seem to have an issue with these all being rated 18 in the UK.

That's because home entertainment was still an immature market as it covered only 40% of the UK, e.g. not every household had a VHS player and/or cable television.

Nowadays? 90% of the UK has a DVD or Bluray player, plus cable television and online streaming video services.

That results with a reduction in cinema goers, which makes families and teenagers as the majority of cinema goers. No wonder why studios are looking to exploit this change.
  • Options
    Trevor_C7Trevor_C7 Posts: 184
    Forum Member
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    I would not have the first idea where you would look to download this, and if I did I would feel a bit naughty doing it, how do you lot even know where to look?lol

*facepalm*