Options

Pointless- New quiz show on BBC2 (merged)

Comments

• Options
    Gill PGill P Posts: 21,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's a bit harsh! As I said before my sister and I remembered most of the characters in the play too. And we read it MUCH longer ago than Claire-Louise. I think they did very well and you should begrudge them their victory.
  • Options
    davadsdavads Posts: 8,644
    Forum Member
    Hi,
    Well done for winning the jackpot....you must have a photographic memory !!
    Maybe, you should have been more gracious to Dawn and Ross and the John Grisham novels,....after all you said that your hubby was hopeless at Shakespeare even though he read it at Uni, so you must have been practicing your possible lists too eh to know that he couldn't recall them ??? !!
    Pot , Kettle .....

In Claire-Louise's defence, she never actually said she had a problem with Dawn's tactic. I think she and the other contestants were just quietly amused by it.

It was me who was trying to spark a little debate over the merits of list-learning for Pointless against playing the game with your own natural knowledge... A debate which would appear to have gone down like a lead balloon :)
  • Options
    gerry dgerry d Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi,
    Well done for winning the jackpot....you must have a photographic memory !!
    Maybe, you should have been more gracious to Dawn and Ross and the John Grisham novels,....after all you said that your hubby was hopeless at Shakespeare even though he read it at Uni, so you must have been practicing your possible lists too eh to know that he couldn't recall them ??? !!
    Pot , Kettle .....

There is nothing in Claire-Louise's post that indicated that she had a problem with what Dawn was doing

Original Post
    Dawn and Ross, today's winners, were in the green room with me (I should be on on Thursday) and they seemed super, well-prepared. Dawn had a massive coloured coded binder full of lists!!!

So why try & stir things up audaciouslass?
  • Options
    Gill PGill P Posts: 21,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you should begrudge them their victory.

I should have said "shouldn't begrudge them"! :D
  • Options
    Know Your NurksKnow Your Nurks Posts: 1,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Claire-louise,

Sorry, I'm a day behind everyone else as I was out Tuesday night, but congrats on the win! Just one question, was your hubby really as underwhelmed by the jackpot as he looked?!

A couple of times the camera cut to him after the win had been revealed, he looked a bit fed up by it all!

Hope he cheered up a bit when you booked the holiday!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    Hi
    My name is Claire-Louise and I'm on the show with my husband! Please be nice! :)

Finally watched the episode with you and your hubby.
    I was so impressed with your knowledge of "A Mid -Summer Night's Dream":)
    Very well deserved win!!:cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched today's ep.
    Quite surprised Angela Rippon was a pointless answer, it was one of the first answers I thought of along with the obvious ones. :)
  • Options
    gerry dgerry d Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would have done pretty bad on "The Top Gear" presenters question as i didn't have a clue who else presented the show.

As for the George Clooney films question.I was thinking of "The Peacemaker" which also had Nicol Kidman in it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 86
    Forum Member
    I'd have won as well. My 3 were Quentin Wilson, Angela Rippon and Tony Mason.

My clooney film was The men who stare at goats. That must have been a good one.

Mind you, Wasn't too hot on the State names today. :D
  • Options
    apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    I knew the majority of them, but not as many as Alexander.
  • Options
    KerryisElphieKerryisElphie Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    Hi Claire-louise,

was your hubby really as underwhelmed by the jackpot as he looked?!

A couple of times the camera cut to him after the win had been revealed, he looked a bit fed up by it all!

Hope he cheered up a bit when you booked the holiday!

LOL! He's always a bit like that. He was really lively at the auditions and then really quiet on the show. He's not too keen on the idea of the trip to San Diego- so that probably explains it!!! :rolleyes:

BTW I am soooo glad I didn't go for the Oscar Winners- saw it on Friday and it was awful and we wouldn't have won! :o
  • Options
    Pacman1854Pacman1854 Posts: 1,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a heads-up.

No Pointless at all next week, according to the TV mags.

BBC afternoon schedules all over the place due to the Commonwealth Games. Don't know if it's just off for the Games or until later in the year (and there's not much of that left).
  • Options
    Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love this Quiz Show but why o why did they change it and list them on the plasma screen :S
  • Options
    JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love this Quiz Show but why o why did they change it and list them on the plasma screen :S
    What? :confused:
  • Options
    Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They show possible answers on a screen to pick from instead they would think up there own answers don't you remember?
  • Options
    The Unknown OneThe Unknown One Posts: 21,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pacman1854 wrote: »
    Just a heads-up.

No Pointless at all next week, according to the TV mags.

BBC afternoon schedules all over the place due to the Commonwealth Games. Don't know if it's just off for the Games or until later in the year (and there's not much of that left).

Pointless returns on Friday 15th October. :)
  • Options
    mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    First its the pope then politics now the games. WHy not knock the weakest link off instead. It aint fair!
  • Options
    Loz_FraggleLoz_Fraggle Posts: 5,759
    Forum Member
    Yesterday, the first round had no options and now today they have a list to choose from, how come?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    Yesterday, the first round had no options and now today they have a list to choose from, how come?

It seems to be alternating - one day it's a free list, the next day it's a list on the board to choose from.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    First of all BOO to Commonwealth Games

Secondly - anyone got Series 1 on DVD or something as missed the 1st half of it and would really like to watch them
    If got 1st 1/2 of Series 2 as well then be a great bonus

Am thankful caught this one from off but really disliking all the interruptions, damn Pope and Games, grrr

Anyhow, really appreciate help and look forward to any responses that could be useful
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 274
    Forum Member
    First of all BOO to Commonwealth Games

I'm also a massive fan of pointless (never miss an episode) but it's not like the episodes that would have aired aren't ever going to be shown again. The commonwealth games is once every 4 years and the pope visit is once every 30 years so these ARE a big deal and should take precedence over a game show. It will be the first time the rising world superpower India will be hosting something meaningful so it will be interesting how they cope with it (not very good by the looks of things). You also get to see nations that aren't even in the olympic games! (Niue, Tokelau etc). Plus the show will be something to look forward to once the games are over!

Slightly off-topic but I went to see the Armstrong & Miller show on their new tour in Liverpool and I would recommend it to anyone, hilarious!
  • Options
    OcadoOcado Posts: 1,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love the show, it sounded really good when it began but watching the first show I thought it would never catch on. How wrong I've been! I got all bar 1 of the US States on today's show, and I have to say my Nan watching was very, shall we say, vocal in her disappointment that Botha and Smarts weren't correct answers. It wasn't until I rewound it and she heard the President since 1961 that she got why they weren't correct.

I suppose I'll have to put up with Deal Or No Deal next week in the absence of Pointless. Sigh.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm also a massive fan of pointless (never miss an episode) but it's not like the episodes that would have aired aren't ever going to be shown again. The commonwealth games is once every 4 years and the pope visit is once every 30 years so these ARE a big deal and should take precedence over a game show. It will be the first time the rising world superpower India will be hosting something meaningful so it will be interesting how they cope with it (not very good by the looks of things). You also get to see nations that aren't even in the olympic games! (Niue, Tokelau etc). Plus the show will be something to look forward to once the games are over!
    No offence intended but I for one couldn't care less about the Pope nor anything he had to say

As for the Commonwealth Games the only thing of value in my eyes is the state of the facilities - the UK should see their farcical preparation and hustle with the 2012 work so we don't go down the same road

Only thing to ponder is whether they'll take notice or not
  • Options
    dsimillerdsimiller Posts: 1,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pointless returns on Friday 15th October. :)

Thanks for that bit of info Unknown One,for one awful moment I thought series had ended.I like my afternoon quizzes.
    Regards
  • Options
    iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mal2pool wrote: »
    First its the pope then politics now the games. WHy not knock the weakest link off instead. It aint fair!

Weakest Link is off too. WL is off because of the games. Pointless is off cos the games have pushed CBBC to BBC2.
This discussion has been closed.