Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 55)

Comments

• Options
    Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Summed up perfectly.

It's basically a rip off by ITV of the Endurance Japanese game show that Clive James used to poke fun at in his 80s show. It was conceived as throwaway filler by Granada and they expected to get (and did get) slaughtered for it.

Trash tv. At least TXF has some semblance of purpose and worthiness to it.

That being to make Simon Cowell rich, a few dreamers temporarily famous and merchandisers exploit the public?

The X Factor is a direct successor from countless decades old talent shows and those at least were not cynically soaked in the modern TV landscape where viewers are manipulated and used to make money,

New Faces was just a good watch that did not cost viewers a packet to vote the winner in, week after week. Or to then watch the live tour or to buy the winner's wares. They were either talented - and lived on - or not - and vanished without trace.

Yes, it is the 21st century and too much TV is like that but to compare favourably X Factor v I'm A Celeb on any grounds of originality, taste or moral compass is hard to comprehend.
  • Options
    jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    iaindb wrote: »
    Some ratings-related(-ish) news from this morning's papers.
    The Mirror: Toy Story 3 to be screened on BBC1 on Christmas Day. If this is true, this film is strong enough to go out at 5 o'clock in which case there would be no need to put Call The Midwife out on Christmas Day.

Yeah I do wonder with no 'homemade' animation like The Gruffalo this year if they'll go back to having 2 animations on Christmas Afternoon like the early noughties.

Also after the success of airing the 'Lady and the Tramp'(1955) last Christmas Eve they have picked up the 1951 original animation of Alice in Wonderland according to the Mirror.
    POTC 4 was also mentioned and they seem to have picked up the repeat rights to Finding Nemo.
  • Options
    jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    Georged123 wrote: »
    Exactly. Such an enjoyable, easy going family friendly show.

Far more entertaining and less manipulative that something like X Factor.

Totally agree I don't get what all the moralising over 'I'm a celeb' is for. It's a well made and fun entertainment show with great hosts and very good production values.
  • Options
    RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ronant wrote: »
    Have to say it's great to see BBC One making a big effort in the seven days before Christmas this year. That week has been criticised here in the past for just having odds and ends - repeats, factual 'filler', Crimewatch etc.

Having a massive blockbuster drama like The Great Train Robbery over two nights midweek on the 18th and 19th is definitely a big departure. It's written by the same guy as Broadchurch, could that sneak over 10m with timeshift? I think it'll certainly do well.

BBC Two's full of Christmas specials including Bake Off, Sewing Bee and TOTP2 and BBC Three is showing the Bad Education Christmas Special.

Lots to look forward to!

Shame GBBO is on BBC2, it has been promoted to BBC1 and Christmas is an ideal time to see what it can do.

Not only that but likely to damage BBC1's unfestive train robbery drama which looked very promising from the trailer that aired after Strictly on Saturday.
    jake lyle wrote: »
    Yeah I do wonder with no 'homemade' animation like The Gruffalo this year if they'll go back to having 2 animations on Christmas Afternoon like the early noughties.

Also after the success of airing the 'Lady and the Tramp'(1955) last Christmas Eve they have picked up the 1951 original animation of Alice in Wonderland according to the Mirror.
    POTC 4 was also mentioned and they seem to have picked up the repeat rights to Finding Nemo.

Wonder if Alice is "the big film" Duncan Newmarch predicted would have a themed ident? Toy Story 3 isn't a big deal isit? The previous ones only got 7m or so I think, its hardly up there with Shrek is it?
  • Options
    guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    Shame GBBO is on BBC2, it has been promoted to BBC1 and Christmas is an ideal time to see what it can do.

Not only that but likely to damage BBC1's unfestive train robbery drama which looked very promising from the trailer that aired after Strictly on Saturday.

GBBO's Christmas special is probably just another Masterclass, which didn't get any boost at all this year despite huge ratings for the actual series so BBC2 is the best place for it. Also it doesn't face Great Train Robbery, GBBO is Tuesday, GTR is Wednesday and Thursday.
  • Options
    guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    ronant wrote: »
    Saturday 14th:
    BBC1
    5.50 Pointless
    6.40 Strictly
    8.20 Atlantis

ITV
    6.30 The Chase
    7.30 X Factor
    9.30-10.30 Jonathan Ross

Sunday 15th:
    BBC1
    7pm Strictly
    7.40-10pm Sports Personality

ITV
    6.30 The Chase
    7.30 X Factor
    9.30-10.30 Through the Keyhole

Big Strictly/X Factor overlap on Saturday.

Most has been confirmed as above except ITV on Saturday is now: 7.00-8.00 The Chase, 8.00-10.05 X Factor, 10.05 Jonathan Ross. So only a 20 minute clash.
  • Options
    Iqbal_MIqbal_M Posts: 4,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yog101 on the Doctor Who ratings thread says that "The Day of the Doctor" got an AI number of 88.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Wonder if Alice is "the big film" Duncan Newmarch predicted would have a themed ident? Toy Story 3 isn't a big deal isit? The previous ones only got 7m or so I think, its hardly up there with Shrek is it?
    Alice In Wonderland is the 1951 animated version. The Johnny Depp version premiered last year. Toy Story 3 isn't a big deal? :eek:

Robbie we need to have a serious talk. Your ratings expert status is hanging by a thread! A. THREAD! :p
  • Options
    drwhorudrwhoru Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    i believe the launch episode of IACGMOOH has consolidated to 13.5m.

the most watched programme on any British TV channel since the Olympics.
  • Options
    KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Iqbal_M wrote: »
    Yog101 on the Doctor Who ratings thread says that "The Day of the Doctor" got an AI number of 88.
    makes me wonder what "The Five-ish Doctors Reboot" might get - 105!!!

K
  • Options
    welshfoxywelshfoxy Posts: 6,985
    Forum Member
    drwhoru wrote: »

Extremely depressing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    welshfoxy wrote: »
    Extremely depressing.

not for me i bought shares in itv 2 years ago!
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    LOL. I love the idea that the UK TV premiere of the 11th highest grossing film of all-time "isn't that big a deal."

Whether people have already seen it or not, Toy Story 3 is a much loved film and will post huge numbers on Christmas Day. Underestimating it would be folly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Dancc wrote: »
    LOL. I love the idea that the UK TV premiere of the 11th highest grossing film of all-time "isn't that big a deal."

Whether people have already seen it or not, Toy Story 3 is a much loved film and will post huge numbers on Christmas Day. Underestimating it would be folly.

films are on all year round across freeview, it's not a big deal - and the Box Office is irrelevant.

still, it will do massive numbers because a disney film on bbc1 on xmas day is always going to.
  • Options
    welshfoxywelshfoxy Posts: 6,985
    Forum Member
    not for me i bought shares in itv 2 years ago!

:D:D:D
  • Options
    DrifterDrifter Posts: 12,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    did not cost viewers a packet to vote the winner in, week after week. Or to then watch the live tour or to buy the winner's wares. They were either talented - and lived on - or not - and vanished without trace.

Yes, these poor people being manipulated into buying tickets and actually going to see a live tour, I think it's awful that they've been forced to drag themselves to these events they have no interest in :rolleyes:

Or buying songs and albums they couldn't care less about. Shameless...

The only valid point is voting in the shows, which of course the X Factor is not the exception, it's a general rule now. We can easily spin that another way and say it lets viewers have their say rather than just watching events unfold.

The X Factor does have a point - entertainment. And ultimately it does want to try and find a popstar. Usually it does reasonably well with this. So what if it makes a huge amount of money, that's only because it's a success (despite its falls of late) and people enjoy it. It's not like any TV show is commissioned for us, the public, out of the goodness of the creator's heart with no need for some kind of pay or profit. The BBC especially since we hand them cash each year.

As for I'm A Celeb, that is fine for what it is too. It's utterly harmless. It entertains. What is the point of Strictly Come Dancing? After all nothing actually happens except someone wins, so who cares? Oh wait, we enjoy watching it. Ultimately that's what's going to win ratings, no matter what a show is about.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    films are on all year round across freeview, it's not a big deal - and the Box Office is irrelevant.

still, it will do massive numbers because a disney film on bbc1 on xmas day is always going to.
    Not really. The list of the highest grossing films also reads as a list of the most popular films currently on rotation on TV. That's not a coincidence.

Of course it's special when it's Disney Pixar, Christmas Day and a big title getting its first screening, on the BBC. But some titles are stronger than others and do better accordingly. And Shrek wasn't remotely "massive" last year so I dispute your last point.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's got to be said though, I'm A Celeb ending surely poses more of a headache for ITV than anything bar the soaps finishing. At least with Got Talent etc its only one slot a week for a few weeks. But replacing a 9m+ banker that achieves this every day for 3 weeks, in the peachiest time of year with presumably ideal demos...basically impossible! It's not something they can just replace (although I bet they try, Ant and Dec being on board too..) it means a whole host of different programming across the weeks, many of which will flop or do averagely. It's a wonderful thing they've got now, but it's meant a big problem on the long horizon..

Not that anyone's going to have to worry about this for about 10 years of course :D I hope Samuel's sanity holds out that long, it's the sort of news I imagine prolonging his lifespan.
  • Options
    iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not really. The list of the highest grossing films also reads as a list of the most popular films currently on rotation on TV. That's not a coincidence.

Of course it's special when it's Disney Pixar, Christmas Day and a big title getting its first screening, on the BBC. But some titles are stronger than others and do better accordingly. And Shrek wasn't remotely "massive" last year so I dispute your last point.

That's because BBC1 put it on at 3.10pm which is no longer primetime on Christmas Day the way it was in the 80s and early 90s where things like Mary Poppins, Eastenders and even Only Fools And Horses got the slot.

Everything was on too early last Christmas to fit in Call The Midwife.
  • Options
    Forum Member

and shrek did really well at the box office so if you dispute my point then you must dispute your point too.

how did Shrek do last year, anyway?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Drifter wrote: »
    It's got to be said though, I'm A Celeb ending surely poses more of a headache for ITV than anything bar the soaps finishing. At least with Got Talent etc its only one slot a week for a few weeks. But replacing a 9m+ banker that achieves this every day for 3 weeks, in the peachiest time of year with presumably ideal demos...basically impossible! It's not something they can just replace (although I bet they try, Ant and Dec being on board too..) it means a whole host of different programming across the weeks, many of which will flop or do averagely. It's a wonderful thing they've got now, but it's meant a big problem on the long horizon..

Not that anyone's going to have to worry about this for about 10 years of course :D I hope Samuel's sanity holds out that long, it's the sort of news I imagine prolonging his lifespan.

it's the least of their problems because it's the only one of their big shows they actually make. XF and BGT are reliant on Syco.

Downton is made by carnival/universal.

so they can run it into the ground if they want.
  • Options
    RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

13.05m actually.

SCD got more than that for its 2012 final and should do again in 2013.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    and shrek did really well at the box office so if you dispute my point then you must dispute your point too.

how did Shrek do last year, anyway?
    It did do really well, but not Toy Story 3 well. And it wasn't as well received.

If you don't even know how it rated then I'm not sure it's worth debating this further as you appear not to have done your homework.

We'll see who is right on Boxing Day but slot dependent I'm expecting an overnight well in excess of 8m for Toy Story 3, which would be huge by recent standards.
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It did do really well, but not Toy Story 3 well. And it wasn't as well received.

If you don't even know how it rated then I'm not sure it's worth debating this further as you appear not to have done your homework.

We'll see who is right on Boxing Day but slot dependent I'm expecting an overnight well in excess of 8m for Toy Story 3, which would be huge by recent standards.

Toy Story 3 is by far and away a much better film in which to entice a family to watch together after getting podged on a big meal. I think it's the perfect ingredient for Christmas afternoon, and it will do really well. The problem the BBC have though is it has the potential to retain the audience for the rest of the day, depending of course, what they follow it with.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it's the least of their problems because it's the only one of their big shows they actually make. XF and BGT are reliant on Syco.

Downton is made by carnival/universal.

so they can run it into the ground if they want.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't that actually make it even worse if ITV lose Celeb then, as if it's the only one they actually make, presumably they also make more money from it?

Of course by "lose" I mean they have to stop it due to poor ratings eventually, which let's be honest is entirely true of most of the others too. Dramas are different as there will always be an expectation that the creators want to give them an ending. And like I say, it's just a few slots, whereas IAC dominates a full 3 weeks, and on days they usually struggle on (Tuesday).

Obviously they'll see this coming long before it happens though, it's popularity is not going to nosedive in the space of a year. But it'll take a miracle for them to find a "replacement" whether that be one show or many across those weeks. It's a magic moment ratings wise they simply cannot get back once it ends, which is not true of other shows.
This discussion has been closed.