Options

Tristan MacManus and Joanne Clifton join Strictly

Comments

• Options
    AJonesSCFCAJonesSCFC Posts: 119
    Forum Member
    I suspect James knows he is burning his bridges but perhaps he isn't bothered. Not a massive fan of him but I think the show will miss his pantomime villain role, although they still have Brendan i suppose!
  • Options
    curvybabescurvybabes Posts: 13,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I will miss Artem he has always been my favourite hot male :) Alijaz will step up to that number one slot for me now, I think I will start to watch DWTS when it begins again, I meant to watch last season but it just didnt happen.

I,m gutted James is totally leaving he would have been great on ITT, I know he annoyed a lot of people but I actually liked that he said what he thought, instead of just standing nodding and taking everything the judges threw at him.
  • Options
    socialdancersocialdancer Posts: 150
    Forum Member
    fatskia wrote: »
    Joanne and Iveta I'm glad to see on the show as it was drifting towards Burn The Floor with dancers who had very little experience of Ballroom or Latin. They could do with a new male dancer who is highly skilled in 10 dance to get the most out of them.

Although Tristan MacManus was in Burn the Floor also, he is fully trained in the 10 dances and is in fact a lovely ballroom dancer. On DWTS he looked different because he dances International Style, whereas ballroom on DWTS is American Smooth style. He has a very engaging personality, delights in the teaching side and I think will be a nice counterpoint to those pros who have more of an opinion of themselves. Not sorry to see Artem go, wish Robin was going as well, I don't go for that heavily muscled look. I quite liked James but think he played up to his reputation sometimes. Wish Karen was going too :(

With Bruce gone and Tristan joining, I'm actually looking forward to SCD this year, having found it very ho hum the last two seasons.
  • Options
    wildangelwildangel Posts: 428
    Forum Member
    La Rhumba wrote: »

Ha, love the poll about which male pro should have gone... duBerk leading the field (again, WHY is he still there? Should've gone 2-3 years ago)>:(
  • Options
    Miriam_RMiriam_R Posts: 4,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Lol the lone comment by a Dailymailer, 'Absolutely no idea who these people are?' :D
  • Options
    sradiasradia Posts: 940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sad to see James go, I didn't mind his pantomime villain persona, it made a nice contrast to the others. He also seemed to get on really well with his partners which suggest to me that he was actually quite a nice guy. Not too bothered to see Artem go, I found his choreography to be quite repetitive last year, although I appreciate he could have been working around Natalie's injury; hopefully he will do well on DWTS.

I would have preferred Aliona to have gone rather than Anya and like many I would have been happy to see Anton go...maybe next year??!
  • Options
    memmhmemmh Posts: 14,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fatskia wrote: »
    Joanne and Iveta I'm glad to see on the show as it was drifting towards Burn The Floor with dancers who had very little experience of Ballroom or Latin. They could do with a new male dancer who is highly skilled in 10 dance to get the most out of them.
    Although Tristan MacManus was in Burn the Floor also, he is fully trained in the 10 dances and is in fact a lovely ballroom dancer. On DWTS he looked different because he dances International Style, whereas ballroom on DWTS is American Smooth style. He has a very engaging personality, delights in the teaching side and I think will be a nice counterpoint to those pros who have more of an opinion of themselves. Not sorry to see Artem go, wish Robin was going as well, I don't go for that heavily muscled look. I quite liked James but think he played up to his reputation sometimes. Wish Karen was going too :(

With Bruce gone and Tristan joining, I'm actually looking forward to SCD this year, having found it very ho hum the last two seasons.
    According to his profile on the BBC Strictly website, Aljaž is "a 19-time national champion in Ballroom, Latin and Ten Dance" so despite how many of the pros have appeared in Burn the Floor, there are still a reasonable number who have ballroom and Latin backgrounds. (It would be better if they all did but it could be worse.)

I wonder if the pro pairings might be changed up this year? Obviously, Ola won't be dancing with James, and with Natalie back (thank goodness!) and being the tallest female pro, I wonder if she might be paired with Aljaž instead of Brendan as previously.
  • Options
    fatskiafatskia Posts: 11,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll miss Artem and Aliona dancing together. I thought they were exceptionally good when they did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlMoZMG3f-E
  • Options
    Caramel CrunchCaramel Crunch Posts: 4,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm delighted we are getting the lovely Tristan. He was my favourite DWTS pro.
  • Options
    La RhumbaLa Rhumba Posts: 11,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pet Monkey wrote: »
    I can't help warming to James's square-peg qualities. It's a shame the break-up was so acrimonious because he would have enlivened ITT if he could have brought himself to stay on with that modified role. Zoe could have been gradually shushed into the background leaving James to interrogate everyone abrasively and tartly.

Now that would've been interesting to watch! A few more challenging and pertinent questions about choreography certainly. He does revel in being outspoken, here's his Twitter description of himself: "always say it as it is...honesty is the best policy!!" ITT could still be fluffy and have a sharper critical edge IMO.
    Although Tristan MacManus was in Burn the Floor also, he is fully trained in the 10 dances and is in fact a lovely ballroom dancer. On DWTS he looked different because he dances International Style, whereas ballroom on DWTS is American Smooth style. He has a very engaging personality, delights in the teaching side and I think will be a nice counterpoint to those pros who have more of an opinion of themselves.

Never seen Tristan dance, but having seen his handsome looks and read your lovely description, he's already become my fave male pro on Strictly!! :cool:
    wildangel wrote: »
    Ha, love the poll about which male pro should have gone... duBerk leading the field (again, WHY is he still there? Should've gone 2-3 years ago)>:(

Now he's missed out on the Presenter's job, he might consider this being his final series.
  • Options
    memmhmemmh Posts: 14,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never seen Tristan dance, but having seen his handsome looks and read your lovely description, he's already become my fave male pro on Strictly!! :cool:
    Unfortunately, Tristan didn't have very good celeb partners on DWTS, apart from Dorothy Hamill, who then had to pull out due to injury/health problems :(

Tristan with fellow pro, Peta Murgatroyd - Rumba
    Tristan with fellow pro, Chelsie Hightower - Samba
    Tristan with fellow pro, Anna Trebunskaya - Tango
    Tristan with fellow pro, Karina Smirnoff - Waltz
    Tristan with celeb partner, Dorothy Hamill - contemporary
  • Options
    strictlydivastrictlydiva Posts: 720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tristan is really good. It's a shame that he never got a good partner!
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CdooVVHydV4
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ISMJDFnMwuk
  • Options
    Forum Member

I've met him a couple of times, and what you see is what you get, very friendly and normal. He was certainly very unfortunate on DWTS in the partners he got, so I do hope that he will do better with a partner on SCD. This is my favourite Tristan dance, another rumba with Peta Murgatroyd

Rumba to Kelly Clarkson song
  • Options
    ElsaElsa Posts: 3,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh I think that's my favourite too, to Kelly Clarkson. But it's Kym Johnson instead of Peta Murgatroyd for that one. She's judging the Australian version of DWTS now. Tristan and Kym have done a few ballroom cruises (to Alaska and the Caribbean) and are scheduled to do six more throughout the rest of 2014, but I wonder if they still will? (the Holland America line)

Thanks for posting all the links though - there were some silver linings through the dark clouds of his 3 year tour of duty in the US-DWTS warzone. I think he's a very animated, warm, personable dancer, with a palpable connection with his partners, when so many have a cold affect and too much focus on themselves, which I don't like to see in male dancers (a very common problem on the American show imo, with the wonder boys using women as props more than partners.)
  • Options
    21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    How tall is Tristan? James was a go-to for the taller women (even Artem had 5'7+ Fern and Holly) so I wonder if they've replaced like for like.
  • Options
    ElsaElsa Posts: 3,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tristan is 5'11" or 6' but his first celebrity partner was 5'1" (Nancy Grace) and I don't think Dorothy was much taller than that. In big pro numbers, he was often paired (we don't have regular couples) with Kym or Peta, both 5'7".

Here he is teaching samba to a cute little girl in Canada:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNRL3DDdcHg
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Elsa wrote: »
    it's Kym Johnson instead of Peta Murgatroyd for that one.

Thanks for posting all the links though - there were some silver linings through the dark clouds of his 3 year tour of duty in the US-DWTS warzone. I think he's a very animated, warm, personable dancer, with a palpable connection with his partners, when so many have a cold affect and too much focus on themselves, which I don't like to see in male dancers (a very common problem on the American show imo, with the wonder boys using women as props more than partners.)

Yes of course it is Kym - senior moment :blush: I agree with what you say about some of the American pros on DWTS. I've seen Tristan doing a workshop with young people and he just connects so well with them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks to everyone for posting those great links to watch Tristan dance (already I love saying that name! :blush: ) :)

Whether a Rhumba or a Waltz, I noticed he never takes his eyes off his partner. He looks like the perfect dance partner (though wasn't keen on the sleeve tatoo which thankfully won't be visible during Ballroom in his costume). And really glad he's tall - we need more tall men on Strictly. Facially he reminds me of Keir Simmons, the London/ITV News Reader/Reporter, who's now working for American TV.

It was also lovely to see Kym Johnson dancing again, she was always my fave DTWS female pro back in the days when I watched it. Nice to hear she formed a dance partnership with Tristan for the Cruises, like Natalie Lowe & Ian Waite. I wonder if they could double up, I'd definitely book a cruise then!! :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How tall is Tristan? James was a go-to for the taller women (even Artem had 5'7+ Fern and Holly) so I wonder if they've replaced like for like.

Artem was often paired with partners too tall for him really, as he is only 5ft 10. Of the Strictly males (since the departure of Ian, who was 6ft 4) Brendon is the tallest at 6ft and then Anton and Aljaz at 5ft 11, so if Tristan hits that 6ft mark, I'll cheer! :cool:
  • Options
    holly berryholly berry Posts: 14,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I shall miss James - I liked the way he challenged the panel and exposed their lack of knowledge. He worked hard to help his celebs be as good as they could be. Sadly he isn't the sharpest tool in the tool box and didn't appear to realise that dissing people in tweets has consequences.

2014 could be the season in which the magic begins to pall. I guess it all depends on the celebs, pairings and how well T&C work together over the entire run.

Nothing lasts forever :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Elsa wrote: »
    Thanks for posting all the links though - there were some silver linings through the dark clouds of his 3 year tour of duty in the US-DWTS warzone.

I've been interested to read your comments about DWTS Elsa, and feel very sad that the show has gone downhill. Going back to 2007, I used to sit up in the night to watch it live via a webcam broadcast by a very kind US fan, and post comments on here, just before the DS Admin gave DWTS a dedicated forum. It was so exciting back then (though also infuriating with the Smooth style Ballroom danced mostly in side by side hold). We only got one series of DWTS on BBC1, and I didn't have the channel it was then broadcast on, so lost touch with the show. That was before the Disney and Contemporary dances were introduced. I'm a big Skating fan, and I'm going to catch up on Youtube clips of Charlie & Meryl, even though I'm not a big fan of Maks, the few dances I've seen with Meryl, he's definitely brought out a side to her that I didn't believe was there based on her icedance career.
    On Twitter there were alot of negative comments about Len, in particular, saying his marks were "absurd" for not giving Meryl a 10 in week 1, I wonder if Len is long for the DWTS Panel? Bruno seems more in tune with America.

ETA: BTW I see you got Splash! LOL! I don't think there's one UK TV format that hasn't gone over to the US, including Bake Off! :D
  • Options
    fridgesoupfridgesoup Posts: 17,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Good article and the poll is spot on about Anton :). (I love your 'bog off' reply in the comments :D)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fridgesoup wrote: »
    Good article and the poll is spot on about Anton :). (I love your 'bog off' reply in the comments :D)

LOL! I just couldn't resist! It's so annoying when people click on links to articles they have no interest in, then slag off the show! Numpties on the Telegraph website do it every week during the Strictly series, after every Hogan review. *Yawn*
  • Options
    fridgesoupfridgesoup Posts: 17,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if Len is long for the DWTS Panel? Bruno seems more in tune with America.

I think Len intimated during the final show that he wouldn't be back. (I did watch it, but must have drifted off - or it was one of the many bits I fast-forwarded - so I have that second hand). Maks is rumoured as a replacement.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    memmh wrote: »
    Unfortunately, Tristan didn't have very good celeb partners on DWTS, apart from Dorothy Hamill, who then had to pull out due to injury/health problems :(
    Tristan with celeb partner, Dorothy Hamill - contemporary

Oh that's a shame, but lovely to see this routine, and Dorothy again. I like that DWTS has had so many ice skaters on during the years, I think SCD should have more, hopefully Torvill and Dean on a full series this year! :D