So bet's on next England Manager

13»

Comments

• gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    celesti wrote: »
    It's not an insult, it's a belief. You reckon a coach has to be under 45 right? Check the ages of the Italian and Uruguayan managers who beat us. Or the Brazilian coach. Or Dutch. Chile have impressed right? Go check. Argentina. Germany. I'll wait here.

The only coach that really falls within your remit is Deschamps, who's 45 and therefore on borrowed time as he'll magically crumble within the year.

National managers tend to be fading club managers. Roy was just never a decent club manager. In my defence I nominate Capello.

Anyway, on this basis France will go deep. Thanks for doing the research.

Seriously I think a league coach has to do a lot of racing around. As you get older you want to relax. You need someone young a nd thrusting.
  • BosoxBosox Posts: 14,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stv viewer wrote: »
    You cannot deny he is a good manager tho

I really don't think he is suited to International football. He's never coached abroad, he has virtually no tactical nous. He's not a training ground coach, he leaves that to an army of assistant coaches (no coincidence that QPR were a hundred times better at the start of the season when Mclaren was coaching them). Harry loves wheeling and dealing and bringing in players (especially on deadline day with nice hefty bonuses) the one thing you can't do as an International manager. He'd schmooze the press though, they'd love him.
  • celesticelesti Posts: 25,966
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do not worry mate I was hated yesterday on here he will move on to someoneelse tomorrow. Typical DS
    I take this back you are ageist

Apology accepted.
  • howard hhoward h Posts: 23,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would England fans have Sven back? Cornetto??
  • stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apology accepted.

No bother mate your are right the older the manager the more experienced
  • NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dandem wrote: »
    No idea, but I'd be surprised if Hodgson is still the manager by the time the first Euro qualifier comes up.

He's an enormous part of the problem.

He can take the defence with him then. :p Cahill is the best of a bad bunch.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    National managers tend to be fading club managers. Roy was just never a decent club manager. In my defence I nominate Capello.

Anyway, on this basis France will go deep. Thanks for doing the research.

Seriously I think a league coach has to do a lot of racing around. As you get older you want to relax. You need someone young a nd thrusting.

As I've said, you know nothing about football. Feel free to red alert away.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Guus Hiddink would have been the only logical choice. He has a proven record in doing well with mediocre players and would have fitted England like a glove.

Sadly though Holland have him.
  • Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    Unless we go for another foreign manager, there really isn't a viable alternative to Roy. I'm firmly convinced that Redknapp would be an absolute disaster.

In any case, our squad is absolutely dire and there's not much talent coming through right now. The future looks extremely bleak.

The premiership does our international game no favours at all. All the best players in it are foreign and the same can be said of the managers now as well. The fact is, we're not producing world class players.
  • howard hhoward h Posts: 23,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ronald De Boer.
  • DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 109,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Gary Neville
  • ZeusZeus Posts: 10,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Danny Boyle.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DUNDEEBOY wrote: »
    Gary Neville

Not ready yet. Which is another reason to keep Roy on beyond this failure and keep Nev as assistant coach.
  • Ray_SmithRay_Smith Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alex Ferguson. Based on his record he's the best choice.

But I don't think any manager can make England play better international football. We're not meant to be world beaters.
  • DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 109,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bosox wrote: »
    Not ready yet. Which is another reason to keep Roy on beyond this failure and keep Nev as assistant coach.

Not sure England are frightened of putting a young manager in. Not an issue for the Dutch and Germans in the recent past.

Hoddle was a youngish manager, that's been the only one
  • Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    You cannot deny he is a good manager tho

Harry is a reasonably good club manager who can put a squad together - usually at great expense.

Give him ordinary players to work with and he doesn't cut it. He's been relegated from the premiership twice because he couldn't turn things around or get more out of the players that were already there.

In short, Redknapp can't polish a turd and that's what England are right now. Hiddink is the one manager out there who can do that, but we won't be getting him.
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As I've said, you know nothing about football. Feel free to red alert away.

I wouldn't do that. Just be nice. I know plenty. We'll see.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We won't see anything. You've suggested 45 years old is a cut-off point for any useful manager, and there was a load of guff about other sports, tip of the iceberg stuff.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't do that. Just be nice. I know plenty. We'll see.

Play nicely u 2
  • morganb1611morganb1611 Posts: 458
    Forum Member
    Bosox wrote: »

But if Roy has another poor tournament, does he become tarnished by the association with him?

I'd like to see Roy still in charge at the Euros, in 2 years there may be better options open. If he's sacked tomorrow just gamble with Neville, or failing that Curbishley for England!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But if Roy has another poor tournament, does he become tarnished by the association with him?

I'd like to see Roy still in charge at the Euros, in 2 years there may be better options open. If he's sacked tomorrow just gamble with Neville, or failing that Curbishley for England!

He wont be sacked tomorrow
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'd like to see Roy still in charge at the Euros, in 2 years there may be better options open

Maybe, hopefully we'll have at least a moderately successful tournament in 2 years and then Neville will seem like the natural successor.
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I fully expect Hodgson to remain in charge and see no reason for him not to.
  • morganb1611morganb1611 Posts: 458
    Forum Member
    Croctacus wrote: »
    I fully expect Hodgson to remain in charge and see no reason for him not to.

That's pretty obvious to me to, he comes across well and has shown he is willing to go with youth.
  • cantoscantos Posts: 7,368
    Forum Member
    Roy Hodgson will remain Manager as his objective was to win the European Championship and not The World Cup.

The knee jerk reaction of some to sack a manager because he did not achieve what we didn't think we would achieve is plain stupid.