Options

Nick and Margaret: Too Many Immigrants?

Comments

• Options
    bluefbbluefb Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't see the first programme, but I felt they should've shown a negative example of an immigrant. There are a fair number of them (and even their British-born children) who'd gladly talk about how they dislike the UK and the majority of British people. And I say this as someone who's generally pro-immigration.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    bluefb wrote: »
    Didn't see the first programme, but I felt they should've shown a negative example of an immigrant. There are a fair number of them (and even their British-born children) who'd gladly talk about how they dislike the UK and the majority of British people. And I say this as someone who's generally pro-immigration.

Technically speaking the Somalian was a negative example of an immigrant.

As far as I could see he gave nothing back and just took. Don't really care if his children stay or go.
  • Options
    CapablancaCapablanca Posts: 5,130
    Forum Member
    What a horrible person he is. What kind of normal person doesn't want to live in a country that's in a war?

Is France a warzone?
  • Options
    northladnorthlad Posts: 1,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Technically speaking the Somalian was a negative example of an immigrant.

As far as I could see he gave nothing back and just took. Don't really care if his children stay or go.

Yes but you sir are obviously a racist.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Capablanca wrote: »
    Is France a warzone?

No but England seems to be the only safe country between here and Somalia.
  • Options
    CressidaCressida Posts: 3,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well that was a biased piece of TV.

Even if immigrants are working, there is nothing to say they are a benefit to this country over having a smaller population and more indigenous people working.

I paid privately for years for dental treatment because NHS dentists moved over to private practice. I'm now with an NHS practice again and am particularly glad my dentist came over from Poland to take up a position with the NHS.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cressida wrote: »
    I paid privately for years for dental treatment because NHS dentists moved over to private practice. I'm now with an NHS practice again and am particularly glad my dentist came over from Poland to take up a position with the NHS.

Perhaps if people had fought to keep Dentistry in the NHS we wouldn't have needed them.

My dentist is Polish too.
  • Options
    CressidaCressida Posts: 3,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps if people had fought to keep Dentistry in the NHS we wouldn't have needed them.

My dentist is Polish too.

There's now NHS dentists available thanks to immigration. I didn't want to pay privately, I did it to take care of my teeth.
  • Options
    frisky pythonfrisky python Posts: 9,737
    Forum Member
    duncann wrote: »
    The story that you had a fabulous life at home in Pakistan with a gardener, chef and staff makes no sense when you then say you could not pay for medication for a lifelong condition but you pay for the medication here, just not the treatment. There IS superb care in Pakistan or India for the wealthy. You could fly and be treated privately in Europe. To understand this we need to know the cost of the treatment and of the medication in Asia versus The cost to the UK taxpayer.

AIUI it is a long term condition were he needs lifelong treatment. He couldn't get the treatment in Pakistan - they didn't explain why but it may have been there wasn't an expert in his condition there (as the Surgeon said, we've got lots of immigrant medical staff here so that's possible)?!? If so multiple flights to/from UK to access private treatment may have not been financially viable compared to moving here. Fair play to them they are working and working hard, having given up that life of luxury. Personally I don't begrudge them that treatment as they are paying into the system.
  • Options
    frisky pythonfrisky python Posts: 9,737
    Forum Member
    Andagha wrote: »
    I didn't realise you had to earn £35.000 to stay here.. So in that respect if they are earning and paying tax then I don't see a problem. But you can't tell me some of these polish immigrants that are doing the minimum wage jobs are earning that much.. So how do they get to stay...

The Somali family are really only political immigrants because they would be going back to their own country, as that was decided by our country to let them here.

I think there may be different rules in place for EU and non-EU immigrants. EU can come and go as they please (hence the French waitress earning a lot less than £35k a year).

The Somali family are in this country are neither asylum seekers nor economic migrants - they were living in France after fleeing Somalia but came to the UK to be close to the wife's family. If they obtained French citizenship I guess that makes them EU migrants.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think there may be different rules in place for EU and non-EU immigrants. EU can come and go as they please (hence the French waitress earning a lot less than £35k a year).

The Somali family are in this country are neither asylum seekers nor economic migrants - they were living in France after fleeing Somalia but came to the UK to be close to the wife's family. If they obtained French citizenship I guess that makes them EU migrants.

Yes he came here in 2004 as an EU migrant, he left Somalia 21 years ago and claimed Political asylum in France.
  • Options
    deptfordbakerdeptfordbaker Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andagha wrote: »
    I didn't realise you had to earn £35.000 to stay here.. So in that respect if they are earning and paying tax then I don't see a problem. But you can't tell me some of these polish immigrants that are doing the minimum wage jobs are earning that much.. So how do they get to stay...

The Somali family are really only political immigrants because they would be going back to their own country, as that was decided by our country to let them here.

So if peace breaks out in Somalia, will all the refuges from Somalia in the UK go home, even if they have been here years and become citizens etc.?

I don't see why a refugee should even have the right to apply for citizenship, that makes them a normal immigrant.
  • Options
    chloebchloeb Posts: 6,501
    Forum Member
    So Mr Somali can do 40 hours a week voluntarily advising other migrants on benefits but cant ork so claims benefits for his family of 8 children...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the Coalition brought in a law that you had to have so much earnings to bring in a partner from another country.

£18, 600 minimum income if you have no children, or about £70,000 in savings
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is France a warzone?

The EU free movement rules should only apply to people born in the EU who have citizenship.
  • Options
    chloebchloeb Posts: 6,501
    Forum Member
    He won't go into a Sikh temple and won't hand out food to the homeless. rolleyes.

No wonder he ran away from his own country.
    Says more about him than him as an immigrant.

He was horrible, she was an absolute delight, lovely lady
  • Options
    CapablancaCapablanca Posts: 5,130
    Forum Member
    The EU free movement rules should only apply to people born in the EU who have citizenship.

That would never work. If you grant someone citizenship you afford them all of the rights of any other citizen: that's the whole point. The problem is citizenship is handed out too lightly. Captain Somalia exemplified that all too clearly; he didn't take French citizenship because he loved France and embraced French culture: he took it for personal gain.
  • Options
    -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Look forward to a program where immigrants judge whether the natives they hang out with for a week are a drain or gain.

Honestly, what a way to dehumanise people, by reducing them to two words - "gain" or "drain".

Horrible concept, crudely carried out.
  • Options
    -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bluefb wrote: »

You can find native Brits who talk about the country in the same way. Just take a trip to the Daily Mail site; many of the writers and readers hate Britain there.
  • Options
    JerrybobJerrybob Posts: 1,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's obvious the Somali family were a drain rather than a gain........free 5 bedroomed house courtesy of housing benefit, child benefit for their 8 children, plus educating them. And they will probably then go back home........
  • Options
    NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...he didn't take French citizenship because he loved France and embraced French culture: he took it for personal gain.
    Proving he understood the culture, embraced it and had integrated well. :D Next step, political office?

-Sid- wrote: »
    You can find native Brits who talk about the country in the same way.
    And some of them decide to leave "Broken Britain" with all its immigration problems and move to France or Spain... when, oddly enough, they become immigrants. :D

And immigrants who often don't bother learning the language, stay within the British enclave, work au noir, order food online from British supermarkets* to be vanned down to them in the Dordogne, use British people to renovate their houses with materials sourced in the UK and, in short, with absolutely no self-awareness so no sense of the irony, become precisely the immigrant they'd "left Britain to get away from..."

* yes, really! There are small businesses who take in Asda orders (etc) and drive them down through France in refrigerated vans to fixed drop-off points. :confused:
  • Options
    chestfieldchestfield Posts: 3,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    @ Normandie

Yes; my daughter and her husband live in Germany, near Wiesbaden, and every so often she and her husband (he's US Military) drive to the NATO base at Ramstein to stock up, particularly with British beer
  • Options
    towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jerrybob wrote: »
    It's obvious the Somali family were a drain rather than a gain........free 5 bedroomed house courtesy of housing benefit, child benefit for their 8 children, plus educating them. And they will probably then go back home........

Anyone who has more than 3 children is very ignorant of what over-population can do to a country, never mind the planet. The Cathoilic Church's inability to understand the importance of contraception in this day and age and to promote contraception is one of its biggest crimes. Whilst many western women have been taking control of their bodies for decades, it appears women in other cultures have yet to catch up. Let's hope this happens soon because the UK is tiny when compared to most other countries and it can't afford the kind if population boom that many third world countries have had.
  • Options
    stargirl 2stargirl 2 Posts: 2,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Peter_CJ wrote: »
    Us and them being the basis of social prejudice and racism.

exactly perter the root of all evil, why cant we all just live together happily

very sad really i think, we are all just flesh and blood
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chestfield wrote: »
    @ Normandie

Yes; my daughter and her husband live in Germany, near Wiesbaden, and every so often she and her husband (he's US Military) drive to the NATO base at Ramstein to stock up, particularly with British beer

I used to shop on Ramstein base .... the PX and the Commissary, Happy Days. :)