Prisoner Cell Block H

Comments

• zooooooooooooozooooooooooooo Posts: 2,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reliving Sandy Edwards and Kate Peterson....fab era!

Yes it's a good era. I've got a few days off next week so am definitely going to watch my favourite era, which is episodes 400-418ish. I've said it before but these are a great bunch of episodes, particularly of course the David Bridges storyline.

Great bunch of characters at this time Judy, Sonia, Lizzie, Bobby, Cass, Wally, Anne, Coleen, Phyllis, Paul the sandwich making expert, of course The Freak, the underrated Frances Harvey and my 2nd favourite extra (after Tammy) Freda who steals any scene she's in with her eyeball acting:)

Best of all though two of my favourite characters are in these bunch Randi Goodlove and Brenda Hewitt, two characters who i think should have both stayed around a lot longer.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes it's a good era. I've got a few days off next week so am definitely going to watch my favourite era, which is episodes 400-418ish. I've said it before but these are a great bunch of episodes, particularly of course the David Bridges storyline.

Great bunch of characters at this time Judy, Sonia, Lizzie, Bobby, Cass, Wally, Anne, Coleen, Phyllis, Paul the sandwich making expert, of course The Freak, the underrated Frances Harvey and my 2nd favourite extra (after Tammy) Freda who steals any scene she's in with her eyeball acting:)

Best of all though two of my favourite characters are in these bunch Randi Goodlove and Brenda Hewitt, two characters who i think should have both stayed around a lot longer.

Haha Freda and the Rolling eyes - awh she was funny
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 302
    Forum Member
    I've been watching for a few weeks now and just watched episode 327,the great fire! I love it and can't stop watching it. But I think I preferred vinegar to the freak. The freak is too nasty. But it's still damn good viewing
  • JMTDJMTD Posts: 7,967
    Forum Member
    Continuing my watching from the beginning.

Episode 59, Lizzie and Doreen getting high, bloody brilliant :D
  • TheSlothTheSloth Posts: 18,825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Right, it's time to out myself...

As a person of a certain vintage who may have been up at stupid o'clock after a drop of grog in the mid/late 80s, I watched a fair few episodes of PCBH - and loved it. It was mostly the early episodes. At around time of The Freak's arrival, I went and got a job and started to miss the odd episode until eventually I stopped (or my ITV region stopped showing it - I can't remember...).

I always yearned to watch again in its entirety and, thanks to the internet, I started on this very mission about a year or so ago. Last night I watched episodes 691 and 692 to end a fascinating and entertaining late night reunion with the show.

What can I say? No spoilers but this is the only soap-like series that I have persisted with. Mainly because I can't easily venture beyond reality - traditional soaps are ludicrously over-saturated with unrealistic storylines interwoven with mundane drivel and two dimensional caricatures.

Prisoner's context meant it could carry these storylines with much more credibility. Look beyond the budget and much of the acting was good and the writing was too.

I'll miss my daily fix. Maybe I'll watch a few Wentworth episodes but it won't be quite the same.

I'll now resist babbling on about the show unless any other, er, denim enthusiasts strike up a conversation in here.

I'll miss people with Aussie accents finishing sentences (did you see what I did there?) strangely but.

:D
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watch this it's brilliant see what old Lizzie and co think of new Lizzie & co brilliantly done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkQWAAmmo-w
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where have all the Prisoner fans gone... I'm upto episode 10 I think they missed a trick only having Helen Masters in for 3 episodes they could have used her a lot more.

Would have been good to see her manipulate Bea as top dog.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't understand why they killed Franky I know Carol Burns didn't like the increase in recording hours but she was a great character who deserved more than 20 episodes as the legacy proves.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    Where have all the Prisoner fans gone... I'm upto episode 10 I think they missed a trick only having Helen Masters in for 3 episodes they could have used her a lot more.

Would have been good to see her manipulate Bea as top dog.

Are you watching PCBH for the very first time? I envy you, if you are.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched it on Channel 5 but can't remember most of it and certainly not up until Ferguson arrived.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I watched it on Channel 5 but can't remember most of it and certainly not up until Ferguson arrived.

You are in for an absolute treat. :) I have seen the complete run several times now, and every time I re-watch them, I get totally hooked all over again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Episode 34 is weird, they get rid of Barbara before she can get really into her character, they just move the woman whose girl was raped to another floor as Bea was starting to confide in her they whole storyline served no purpose and Doreen suddenly dropped the Franky act.

It was like this episode was a let's get rid of the deadwood quickly.

I still don't get why Bea never stopped Doreen nicking people's stuff she knew what Doreen was upto but let it carry on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Episode 34 is weird, they get rid of Barbara before she can get really into her character, they just move the woman whose girl was raped to another floor as Bea was starting to confide in her they whole storyline served no purpose and Doreen suddenly dropped the Franky act.

It was like this episode was a let's get rid of the deadwood quickly.

I still don't get why Bea never stopped Doreen nicking people's stuff she knew what Doreen was upto but let it carry on.

Sorry should have said episode 25 not 34.

The episode where Bea escapes where did that come from?

She berated Lizzie and Doreen for trying, she showed no signs she even wanted to escape and to put "mum" in the position, this is totally out of character for Bea.
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think I may dig my boxsets out over Christmas and start from the beginning again :D
  • Johnnys ArcadeJohnnys Arcade Posts: 4,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That new Wentworth thing was absolute rubbish. Not a patch on Prisoner.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That new Wentworth thing was absolute rubbish. Not a patch on Prisoner.

I actually quite liked it. But i agree its not a patch on Prisoner. Prisoner was the best by far.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The prodcuers did some strange, let's not see them again exits, the raped girl's mother just disappeared, assumed to be in another wing but the fact the prison is only four floors high and 6 cells longs, it is viritually improbable she isn't seen again and Jean Vernon just gone with no explanation whatsoever.

I was wondering if anyone ever tried to map the layout of the prison does it actually make sense or is just go round a corner and you are there lol.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never understood why Erica hated Bea so much, Bea kept the women in line kept drugs out but all Erica could see was her being a trouble causer, she really didn't know she had it good.

Erica made some bizarre decisions, she always jumped to the first conclusion and ended up with egg on her face.

Is Wentworth a tardis, a building 4 x 6 has so many sub sections suddenly in episode 92 they find a place called isolation and a new section for studying prisoners.
  • spikeyrobertospikeyroberto Posts: 766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watch this it's brilliant see what old Lizzie and co think of new Lizzie & co brilliantly done.

I did that video..glad you liked it hehe
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The 25th anniversary of Anglia TV first broadcasting PCBH must have just passed, am I right? I'm sure I began watching it for the first time in January 1989, in my bedroom late at night on a 3 inch black and white TV/radio/tape combo. I had to be devoted to stick with it under those conditions for the first year or two!
  • MelSingletonMelSingleton Posts: 1,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never understood why Erica hated Bea so much, Bea kept the women in line kept drugs out but all Erica could see was her being a trouble causer, she really didn't know she had it good.

Erica made some bizarre decisions, she always jumped to the first conclusion and ended up with egg on her face.

Is Wentworth a tardis, a building 4 x 6 has so many sub sections suddenly in episode 92 they find a place called isolation and a new section for studying prisoners.

Not much about Erica made sense, but her constant naïve attempts at reform when of course the prisoners will just mess everything up are part of the character's charm. And Erica was put out 'cause she thought it was her job to be in charge of the prison.

Like many soap buildings Wentworth is a Tardis. The layout and organisation of the prison and its 'blocks' seemed to change to suit whichever situation. I'm sure the sets were dismantled and rearranged constantly with little regard for logic or continuity.
  • MelSingletonMelSingleton Posts: 1,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would love to have seen her in Wentworth

Tammy?

Well Tammy's portrayer Gloria Ajenstat *did* appear in an episode of Wentworth: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0014990/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

She played a character named Georgia Henderson - I don't who that is though.
  • spikeyrobertospikeyroberto Posts: 766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tammy?

Well Tammy's portrayer Gloria Ajenstat *did* appear in an episode of Wentworth: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0014990/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

She played a character named Georgia Henderson - I don't who that is though.

her character in Wentworth didn't make the final cut
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think the Lizzie in Wentworth Prison is quite different from the one in Prisoner Cell Block H. The original Lizzie was more fun whereas the new Lizzie, she's more serious.
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    New Lizzie is more like Judy. I can remember this being discussed a lot last year. The only similar aspect to each version is the drinking issue.