Options

Spots on back of eye

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,210
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I went to the optician today and when they took a photo of the back of my eye they noticed that several 'spots' had developed on the back of one of my eyes. The optician said he did not know what they were and is referring me to hospital for further checks.

I have goodled this a bit but not really come up with anything. Anyone had a similar experience or have any info on what this could be. Am worrying myself silly over this.

I am very shortsighted (-15 and -12).

Comments

• Options
    burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I went to the optician recently and the ophthalmologist said I had to go to the eye department at the hospital because the pressure test reading was high and there was a risk of glaucoma . I was naturally worried, but when I went to the eye dept. at the hospital, they said my eyes were fine and the pressure reading was normal.

So don't worry till you've had a second opinion.
  • Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    burton07 wrote: »
    I went to the optician recently and the ophthalmologist said I had to go to the eye department at the hospital because the pressure test reading was high and there was a risk of glaucoma . I was naturally worried, but when I went to the eye dept. at the hospital, they said my eyes were fine and the pressure reading was normal.

So don't worry till you've had a second opinion.

the problem is with second opinions that differ from the first opinion is that which one to you believe?

the second opinion is just as much possible to be wrong as the first opinion was.

what you need in those situations is a third opinion to see which one it agrees with.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,520
    Forum Member
    DaisieBee wrote: »
    I went to the optician today and when they took a photo of the back of my eye they noticed that several 'spots' had developed on the back of one of my eyes. The optician said he did not know what they were and is referring me to hospital for further checks.

I have goodled this a bit but not really come up with anything. Anyone had a similar experience or have any info on what this could be. Am worrying myself silly over this.

I know it's a worry, but the hospital should be able to sort you and tell you what they are, and what can be done about it.

If they are tears in the retina they can be 'frozen' to repair them, but it's important to be done as quickly as possible or the retina can detach.

I had a major retinal detachment (I lost all sight in one eye), but following the operation (which includes repairing the tears as well as repositioning the retina) I have usable vision back in that eye.

I too was very short sighted, I can't remember the figures as I've my lens replaced because of cataracts, but what causes severe short sightedness is the eye ball being rugby ball shaped instead of football shaped. This makes you far more prone to retinal detachments, as the retinas are sat in the 'pointy end'.

I seem to have spent a LOT of time lately sat in Eye Clinics :D

So what will happen is a nurse will put dilating drops in your eyes (both of them - so don't drive to your appointment), it may be one or two types of drops, and it may be more than once. You then sit and wait, while your pupils get larger.

Eventually you get in to the consultant, who will examine your eyes with a number of different instruments, but basically looking inside them with a microscope type device.

It's EXTREMELY likely he's seen exactly the same thing before, and he'll be able to tell you what they are, what they might cause, and what action they need to take to prevent any problems (if any).

I've been there, I've worried just like you, but once you've seen the consultant and got a diagnosis then it's a LOT less worrying.

Oh - and get used to looking at eye charts, every time you go they have you reading them :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know this might sound odd but I wonder if I might enquire as to your age? approximate is fine?
  • Options
    Miss NMiss N Posts: 2,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you diabetic?
  • Options
    sunsetbeachsunsetbeach Posts: 1,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had something similar. He said i 'deposits' in my retinas. Very rare in the young. i was 25 at the time. I had to sit in a room on my own with wires taped to my eyeballs and watch a screen it was awful. Then they had to put this solution in my pupils to dilate them to take a look it was the weirdest feeling i couldn't see for hours. He said the deposits were not in my peripheral vision and doubted they would move. I need to go back again in a few years though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have seen similar - and the reason I asked about age is cos of AMD - and I dont say that lightly cos my mum is in her 80s now and going through this particular problem. me dad, similar age has a "wrinckle" on the retina" which is not considered a problem. The only reason I have contributed here is cos of my mam condition, which is called Age-related Macular Degeneration. It can move fast but usually the recipitent sees some loss of vision or distortion of vision. So with the OP not mentioning that I am hoping its something else. Wet AMD (Macular Degeneration) can be cured but it has to be acted on reasonably quickly. Sooner the better, which is why I bothered to become involved. I had never previously heard of this. What I can say is, that on a course of treatment since last December, my mother has been able to improve her vision (in her one remaining eye, since she lost vision in the other probs 30 yrs ago when a blood vessel burst badly), shes gone from being practically blind to being able to read 6 lines of the A Z B E C D boards.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pandy65 wrote: »
    I have seen similar - and the reason I asked about age is cos of AMD - and I dont say that lightly cos my mum is in her 80s now and going through this particular problem. me dad, similar age has a "wrinckle" on the retina" which is not considered a problem. The only reason I have contributed here is cos of my mam condition, which is called Age-related Macular Degeneration. It can move fast but usually the recipitent sees some loss of vision or distortion of vision. So with the OP not mentioning that I am hoping its something else. Wet AMD (Macular Degeneration) can be cured but it has to be acted on reasonably quickly. Sooner the better, which is why I bothered to become involved. I had never previously heard of this. What I can say is, that on a course of treatment since last December, my mother has been able to improve her vision (in her one remaining eye, since she lost vision in the other probs 30 yrs ago when a blood vessel burst badly), shes gone from being practically blind to being able to read 6 lines of the A Z B E C D boards.

How strange as I had just read this today:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/showbiz/news/a366542/dame-judi-dench-battling-blindness.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Miss N wrote: »

What was said to me and mam was " in the old days youd have been sent home with the message theres nowt we can do" but today, we can send u home with a far better message". It is not without scary sh!! and not without the mere idea of doing certain things making you go "ooh!" but... I relate here not my own feeling but my mams, and her message is "it sounds bad, but it not, its not really any worse than injection anywhere else. If I could say to anyone do it, I would, because its been like magic. I would be blind now if not for this treatment, and on xmas day, I looked down and could actually read my watch,and its the best xmas present I ever had". This was at a point where she was fast going blind, and having had the first treatment she read 4 lines of the eye chart instead of 2 with many mistakes. This time she read 6 lines and started on the 7th. It works. To her it is worth more than all the tea in china.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know it's a worry, but the hospital should be able to sort you and tell you what they are, and what can be done about it.

If they are tears in the retina they can be 'frozen' to repair them, but it's important to be done as quickly as possible or the retina can detach.

I had a major retinal detachment (I lost all sight in one eye), but following the operation (which includes repairing the tears as well as repositioning the retina) I have usable vision back in that eye.

I too was very short sighted, I can't remember the figures as I've my lens replaced because of cataracts, but what causes severe short sightedness is the eye ball being rugby ball shaped instead of football shaped. This makes you far more prone to retinal detachments, as the retinas are sat in the 'pointy end'.

I seem to have spent a LOT of time lately sat in Eye Clinics :D

So what will happen is a nurse will put dilating drops in your eyes (both of them - so don't drive to your appointment), it may be one or two types of drops, and it may be more than once. You then sit and wait, while your pupils get larger.

Eventually you get in to the consultant, who will examine your eyes with a number of different instruments, but basically looking inside them with a microscope type device.

It's EXTREMELY likely he's seen exactly the same thing before, and he'll be able to tell you what they are, what they might cause, and what action they need to take to prevent any problems (if any).

I've been there, I've worried just like you, but once you've seen the consultant and got a diagnosis then it's a LOT less worrying.

Oh - and get used to looking at eye charts, every time you go they have you reading them :D

Thanks for your reply, sounds like you have had a difficult time but I apprecite you sharing your experience.
    I know this might sound odd but I wonder if I might enquire as to your age? approximate is fine?

Early thirties.
    Miss N wrote: »
    Are you diabetic?

No, but the optician did say he wanted me tested for this. I have no symptoms to indicate this may be an issue though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My friend is an optician and she gets driven mad by the fact that they have to refer people left right and centre now, especially for glaucoma. They do err on the side of caution all the time. Try not to worry.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds too young to b Macral Degeneration thank heaven. I hope whatever it is is sorted soony for tyou. x
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What was said to me and mam was " in the old days youd have been sent home with the message theres nowt we can do" but today, we can send u home with a far better message". It is not without scary sh!! and not without the mere idea of doing certain things making you go "ooh!" but... I relate here not my own feeling but my mams, and her message is "it sounds bad, but it not, its not really any worse than injection anywhere else. If I could say to anyone do it, I would, because its been like magic. I would be blind now if not for this treatment, and on xmas day, I looked down and could actually read my watch,and its the best xmas present I ever had". This was at a point where she was fast going blind, and having had the first treatment she read 4 lines of the eye chart instead of 2 with many mistakes. This time she read 6 lines and started on the 7th. It works. To her it is worth more than all the tea in china.

That's brilliant, really pleased for her :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for your reply, sounds like you have had a difficult time but I apprecite you sharing your experience.

Early thirties.

No, but the optician did say he wanted me tested for this. I have no symptoms to indicate this may be an issue though.

The spots he has seen can be an indication of diabetes.
  • Options
    cutekitty7686cutekitty7686 Posts: 872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hey ,
    Im 25 and when I was 17 the dr was checking my eyes as I get loads of headaches and notice spots on the back of my eyes I was sent to the hospital a few weeks later for an appointment which after waiting 3 hrs was informed I have freckles on my eyes at the back and no concern!
    Everytime i go to have my eyes tested they check to see if they have changed size shape etc they don't seem to affect my vision as i have "perfect" vision :)
    Don't worry op :)
  • Options
    tara27tara27 Posts: 2,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Believe it or not I was at the Hospital on thurs afternoon for exactly the same thing:eek:. My optician said I had a "mass" behind one eye. I neary fainted and squeaked "A MASS?" (gulp!) I think I went white cos he rushed to expain it was a small spot,like a freckle but sightly raised ,but by law he had to refer me to the hospital.Spoke to my doc and he referred me. Went on thurs and the consultant had a good look in there and said she was satisfied it was nothing more than a blemish and miniscule (so much for "mass":rolleyes:) ,just a blip on the back of the eye and since I was having no other probs with my vision or headaches and no history of eye probs in the family, she was happy to dismiss it as unimportant/not dangerous. I floated home on air....big relief. But the consutant said that the opticians HAVE to refer you and there is very rarely anything to be followed up on. I hope that helps Good luck.;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds too young to b Macral Degeneration thank heaven. I hope whatever it is is sorted soony for tyou. x

I have inherieted macular degeneration.(macular dystrophy) It made me and my sister very popular with the eye hospital who sent all their students to look at us every time we go.Oh and every time I go to an optician they wet themselves, thinking they are the first to diagnose it. Its very very very rare thou and this sounds nothing like it.

Wishing you the best OP
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 158
    Forum Member
    I had a similar experience went to an opticians and told i had dark spots at the back of my eyes, this lead to me seeing an opthamologist at my local hospital who found freckles and 'lesions' (lesion have charactistics of both birthmark and mole) which resulted in me being referred to an occular oncologist in a big city hospital... very scary!!:eek::eek:
    Turns out it was nothing to worry about, although i do have to be checked out on a yearly basis to make sure nothing has changed.... better safe than sorry.

While the spots could be a number of things... freckles/moles/birth marks etc , seeing the Dr you are in the best hands

Good Luck
  • Options
    Tudor6222Tudor6222 Posts: 992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My husband had this and like other posters was told it was just a freckle on the back of his eyeball.

Try not to worry, I'm sure it'll be fine. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tudor6222 wrote: »
    My husband had this and like other posters was told it was just a freckle on the back of his eyeball.

Try not to worry, I'm sure it'll be fine. :)

Thanks. Could freckles have developed so quickly? Ten months ago there was nothing there, but he showed me the pic and there is quite a mass of spots there now. Is it possible for it to be freckles??
  • Options
    Tudor6222Tudor6222 Posts: 992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks. Could freckles have developed so quickly? Ten months ago there was nothing there, but he showed me the pic and there is quite a mass of spots there now. Is it possible for it to be freckles??

Apparently, yes, it can be freckles on the back of your eyeball. Freckles are just over pigmented spots of flesh on your skin, so the same can happen on the back of your eye too.

I had a small retinal tear a couple of years ago, and just had to rest my eyes for it to get better, but I doubt if it's that as my symptoms were 'lightning flashes' across my field of vision, and really huge 'floaters'.

Have you had an appointment for the hospital through yet?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I had exactly the same!! Spots on the back of my eyes that they didn't know what they were. All they did was book an eye test for me in 6 months time rather than the normal 12, and by that time they'd gone. Still no idea what they were, but I can see fine (apart from my shortsightedness of course).
  • Options
    TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member

Is this the first time they've taken pics of the back of your eye? Had the photo thing done for the first time about 5 years ago now, they found I have a mole behind my eye.

Referred to eye hospital - but all ok.

If there are trainees at my opticians, they are usually ushered in to take a look at the back of my eyes when I go in for my check-ups.