Options

Freesat getting left behind...

167891012»

Comments

• Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,522
    Forum Member
    Winston_1 wrote: »
    It is a regularly occurring payment every 5 years. That is very much like a subscription.

Just like buying a new Freesat box regularly is a 'subscription' then :D - most of the SD ones are unlikely to last 5 years.

I've never heard the minimum 5 years before. Source please?

The source was Sky - it was in the terms and conditions, each card lasts a minimum of five years - and if the cards are changed within that time you get another card free, that lasts to the end of the next five year period. So, depending when you buy, you can stretch to over ten years (Sky managed to stretch one five years to six - due to DSO).
  • Options
    VetinariVetinari Posts: 3,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is a regularly occurring payment every 5 years. That is very much like a subscription.

On that basis, you buy all your food and most of your clothes 'on subscription'.
  • Options
    SteveMcKSteveMcK Posts: 5,457
    Forum Member
    Well, apart from the "subscribe" bit, that is...
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    Think TCO.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 492
    Forum Member
    Vetinari wrote: »
    On that basis, you buy all your food and most of your clothes 'on subscription'.

I just love these pointless silly arguments people have.

http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/subscription?q=subscription
    noun
    1. an arrangement to receive something, typically a publication, regularly by paying in advance: make sure you get a copy every month by taking out a subscription
    I would say it is a 5 year subscription.

Terry
  • Options
    VetinariVetinari Posts: 3,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    park_gate wrote: »

Except that when you subscribe to something you usually pay for a number of instances of that thing.

Otherwise anything you pay for in advance - such as, for example, anything you buy from Amazon or your Tesco delivery - would fit that description.

You have to apply a little intelligence to dictionary definition unless you want to rob a word of the nuances of its meaning.
  • Options
    davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    park_gate wrote: »

Terry

As the card is actually made inactive and a further card has to be purchased I think that invalidates it as a subscription.
  • Options
    davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I've never heard the minimum 5 years before. Source please?

It is hardly regular when it has been 5 and then 6 years.

IIRC the last cards had a minimum validity of 4 years listed in the Ts & Cs but I cannot find any such guarantee on the present cards.