Options

What does it mean when they say "Lose weight slowly"?

O-JO-J Posts: 18,860
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi, I'v just started going to the GYM, I've been reading up online and it says don't lose weight too quickly, you have to lose it slowly to avoid loose skin afterwards!

I just want to know, how slow?

I go to the Gym, then the next day I take a day off, then the next I go back, then day off, and so on!

Is that what it means? Am I doing good or bad?

I went yesterday, and I didn't go today, and I feel fat right now!

Comments

• Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lose weight a finger at a time, you'll be fine.
    As long as you don't need to type
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    You cannot get enough of a healthy eating regime and exercise. What you want to avoid is fad diets.. i.e eat nothing but shakes or cabbage for a month and lose 1 stone a week.. you put it all back on afterwards, not to mention the damage that kind of dieting does to your heart
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't lose more than 1-2 pounds a week. If you're losing more than that, work out less.
  • Options
    jasvinyljasvinyl Posts: 14,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As you get older, the skin loses some of its elasticity. Because of this, and in people who have a fair bit of weight to lose, if you lose that weight too quickly there is more chance of having excess skin. Slow and steady is the best way (approx. 1-2 lbs a week) with a healthy diet and some exercise that you enjoy. Some people will get lose skin regardless.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jasvinyl wrote: »
    As you get older, the skin loses some of its elasticity. Because of this, and in people who have a fair bit of weight to lose, if you lose that weight too quickly there is more chance of having excess skin. Slow and steady is the best way (approx. 1-2 lbs a week) with a healthy diet and some exercise that you enjoy. Some people will get lose skin regardless.

Thanks, just what I wanted to hear, do you think its good or bad missing days out of Gym?
  • Options
    jasvinyljasvinyl Posts: 14,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    benbenalen wrote: »
    Thanks, just what I wanted to hear, do you think its good or bad missing days out of Gym?

You could ask a trainer at the gym as to what they recommend. Certainly rest days are advised in any exercise regime so that your muscles can recover, but I'm not a gym-goer so can't advise you on specifics. I cycle, and built up slowly from a couple of miles every other day to 10-15 miles a day, and a 20-30 mile ride once a week. I must confess that I no longer take a day off, but it is my mode of transport so I tend to mix the intensity up.
  • Options
    1Mickey1Mickey Posts: 10,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Depends on how much you have to lose. Bigger people lose weight quicker and if its causing health problems then that's probably a good thing.
    Loose skin is a problem when you're well over normal size and over a certain age and building muscle helps fill it out but if you're over a certain size or age it often doesn't make a difference how quickly you lose weight. I'd be more concerned about the health implications of keeping the weight.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I lost my weight [from 17.5 stone to 8.5] my intial loss was quite rapid, but then steadied to 2-4lb a week. I was terrified of putting it all back on, which has never happened. Although I have fluctuated a little according to lifestyle changes and occasionally comfort eating, I have never been anywhere near as heavy as I was back in my fatty days.

Personally I didn't go to the gym, it's not my kinda thing. I went to a cardio work out group twice a week and did a cardio work out every other day at home the rest of the week.

I was also worried about loose skin, whether due to luck or use of vitimin E oil after every shwer/bath thankfully I never had that problem either.

Best of luck with your efforts OP :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WoodenCat wrote: »
    When I lost my weight [from 17.5 stone to 8.5] my intial loss was quite rapid, but then steadied to 2-4lb a week. I was terrified of putting it all back on, which has never happened. Although I have fluctuated a little according to lifestyle changes and occasionally comfort eating, I have never been anywhere near as heavy as I was back in my fatty days.

Personally I didn't go to the gym, it's not my kinda thing. I went to a cardio work out group twice a week and did a cardio work out every other day at home the rest of the week.

I was also worried about loose skin, whether due to luck or use of vitimin E oil after every shwer/bath thankfully I never had that problem either.

How old were you when you lost the weight?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That's brilliant what you did losing nearly 10 stones, it must have been really hard, but at least you done it, its much better not being fat! :)

How old was you? I'm turning 21 next month!

Did you lift weights?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FANNY_ANNE wrote: »
    How old were you when you lost the weight?

26-27

which I know is relatively young regarding skin elasticity. Although all my family seem to be blessed with good skin. I do think using the vit E oil helped with that tho. I'm 46 now and my skin is still quite good in that regard.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You cannot get enough of a healthy eating regime and exercise. What you want to avoid is fad diets.. i.e eat nothing but shakes or cabbage for a month and lose 1 stone a week.. you put it all back on afterwards, not to mention the damage that kind of dieting does to your heart

You can can get too much exercise. Only so much exercise is needed to keep yourself healthy. I agree about the healthy eating though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's brilliant what you did losing nearly 10 stones, it must have been really hard, but at least you done it, its much better not being fat! :)

How old was you? I'm turning 21 next month!

Did you lift weights?

26 -27 when I lost it all I'm 46 now. I felt so much better when I'd lost it not unsurprisingly lol

No I never used weights or any other exercise equipment. I just did dance work outs and the odd light run round the park, which worked for me [I used to love dancing when I was younger.

My fav work out routine was a video by Caroline Brown called Cardio Funk I think, not sure if I remeber that correctly as I just googled it and couldn't find it. It was relentless, it took me a month of trying every other day before I could do the whole work out. I was SO excited when I finally did lol. I used to do it with a couple of friends and they never did get to the end of it :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish I had a scanner I would upload my wedding photos. I was a size 22 on my first wedding in 92, and a size 10 on my second in 97 :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    26-27

which I know is relatively young regarding skin elasticity. Although all my family seem to be blessed with good skin. I do think using the vit E oil helped with that tho. I'm 46 now and my skin is still quite good in that regard.

Oh right ok, I think my skin will still have elasticity, Did you lift weights to tone up your body?
  • Options
    Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh right ok, I think my skin will still have elasticity, Did you lift weights to tone up your body?

I really recommend reading Myfitnesspal's forum or a similar site that deals with diets and weightloss. From this and your last few threads you come across quite confused about it. For a start 'toning' isn't really a thing, it's just what happens when you lose fat and so show the definition of muscles.

A healthy weight loss is thought to be around 1-2lb a week.

From your previous threads and how you keep saying you 'feel' fat after a day of not going to the gym or because you ate after going like in your last thread, I am tempted to ask how much you have to lose?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wish I had a scanner I would upload my wedding photos. I was a size 22 on my first wedding in 92, and a size 10 on my second in 97 :)

That is fantastic, Woodencat. Well done! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Nope, just did things like squats, push ups, sit ups in my cardio work outs.
    I was using a double pushchair for my two youngest at the time, which was a bit of a work out in itself getting it up and down kerbs and on buses when it had the shopping on it. I stopped using the car and walked everywhere it was possible to walk to.
    I went swimming with my eldest every two weeks as well, but I was looking after a 6 year old so that was mostly fun swimming rather than intensive.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bex_123 wrote: »
    That is fantastic, Woodencat. Well done! :)

Thank you :)

I was so proud of myself when I did it. I think my then hubbies attitude spurred me on, he thought I would never do it. And his pet name for me was fatbellygutbucket. I was a size 10 when I met him before I had the kids, and one day after my youngest was born he walked in the bathroom and said, 'You've ruined your body having kids."

He was a nasty sod looking back LOL

And I thought, oh really, well I'll show you mate. And I did :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I was so proud of myself when I did it. I think my then hubbies attitude spurred me on, he thought I would never do it. And his pet name for me was fatbellygutbucket. I was a size 10 when I met him before I had the kids, and one day after my youngest was born he walked in the bathroom and said, 'You've ruined your body having kids."

Jeez, what a tosser!

Well done all round! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Sounds like an inspiring guy.
  • Options
    tim_smithtim_smith Posts: 772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    About 2 lbs per week or whatever that is in kilograms.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1Mickey wrote: »
    Sounds like an inspiring guy.

He was a controlling abusive arsewipe. I divorced for unreasonable behaviour not long afterwards lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He was a controlling abusive arsewipe. I divorced for unreasonable behaviour not long afterwards lol

But he inspired you to lose the weight, which means you're now healthier and get to enjoy your life more.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1Mickey wrote: »
    But he inspired you to lose the weight, which means you're now healthier and get to enjoy your life more.

Er, not sure clearly being a nasty di**head counts as being inspiring to be honest. Those comments are pure nasty.

I'm sure Woodencat would have done it in her own time anyway, she has proved that by keeping it off :) But having someone to prove it to does help.

(EDIT, sorry Woodencat I realise I just massively insulted your ex. I mean those comments obviously not him in general :D)