The Mentalist is back. New Series #6. Channel 5 Tuesday 29th October 2013 at 9pm

Comments

• LowriLowri Posts: 3,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    It has to take a break now because of closeness to US TX. Only three more episodes since 'Red John' will have aired by January 5. I guess it will be back in Feb for another uninterrupted block through to about May, exactly the same as last year.

Ok, thanks, I couldn't remember what it had done previously. I suppose suffering the US hiatuses is the price for getting the episodes so close to transmission. My first US shows were CSI which were shown uninterrupted so I'm only just getting used to the idea of mid-season breaks!
  • SherbetLemonSherbetLemon Posts: 4,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last night's episode was fantastic. I made a point of avoiding this thread and others until the reveal was complete, so that the RJ story wouldn't be spoiled for me - and it wasn't. :)

Seriously well done to the writers. Loved every minute of it.
  • Rip the TV EyeRip the TV Eye Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lowri wrote: »
    Interesting, don't know what I was expecting under that spoiler tag but that wasn't it! Sounds good but I'd like to see more of the consequences of this week's episode. As a general comment, it's always a let down when a show seems to forget what's just happened, e.g. a miraculous recovery from injury.

I have a feeling that the FBI won't let Jane forget what he's done.

However...
    He can't have officially killed the sheriff (I forget his name) because he officially died in the explosion.

Come to think of it, that explanation was rubbish. He pulled Jane, Smith and Bertram out of the burning house and swapped a body from his car boot? Lisbon was on scene when the explosion went off and didn't see any of this?

I'm wary now as I watched it for the rest of the recurring characters more than Jane. Now that Rigsby and Van Pelt have left, I'm not sure how much I'll enjoy future episodes.
  • boab34boab34 Posts: 1,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a feeling that the FBI won't let Jane forget what he's done.

However...
    He can't have officially killed the sheriff (I forget his name) because he officially died in the explosion.

Come to think of it, that explanation was rubbish. He pulled Jane, Smith and Bertram out of the burning house and swapped a body from his car boot? Lisbon was on scene when the explosion went off and didn't see any of this?

I'm wary now as I watched it for the rest of the recurring characters more than Jane. Now that Rigsby and Van Pelt have left, I'm not sure how much I'll enjoy future episodes.

Jane put the gun in McAllister's hand after he died to make it look like he shot himself

apparently McAllister used 2 bombs - the first was a concussion bomb which knocked out everyone in the room and allowed him to bring in the dead body before the second more deadly bomb went off

I too will miss Rigsby, Van Pelt and the Cho-Rigsby double act :cry:
  • barracuda91barracuda91 Posts: 3,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really enjoyed the episode and I'm happy with who Red John was. The actor did a great job and was able to live up to the character. However, I was very disappointed in how they ended the story. It seemed out of character to me that RJ would be begging for his life. I was actually expecting him to laugh at the end. Also wish there was another episode with Jane and him talking to one another. We've waited years to find out who he is and when we do it's over in about 15 minutes. I really liked the scene in the chapel between the two and I wish that could've gone on for longer, just to see more of RJ and how he speaks and acts.
  • bloggingbellebloggingbelle Posts: 1,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the acting was really good the looks Jane/Lisbon exchange look so natural - two actors are obviously very comfortable in their roles. Glad they did not resort to any Jisbon stuff.

Rigsby calling the new boss Sir and calling Cho Dillinger was hilarious.

The cast have really upped the standard of acting this series - after coasting along for a while.

Much as I love the Mentalist it was probably ready for a reboot - hope it works well enough to have another series.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boab34 wrote: »
    Jane put the gun in McAllister's hand after he died to make it look like he shot himself
    Jane's fingerprints will be all over the gun though, as he just placed it in McAllister's hands with his own bare hands. He didn't even have the sense to wipe the gun on his suit.

Wasn't aware Rigsby & Van Pelt were leaving. Not that I'm really bothered. Van Pelt especially didn't really contribute much to me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jane's fingerprints will be all over the gun though, as he just placed it in McAllister's hands with his own bare hands. He didn't even have the sense to wipe the gun on his suit.

Wasn't aware Rigsby & Van Pelt were leaving. Not that I'm really bothered. Van Pelt especially didn't really contribute much to me.

Jane could always say that McAllister wrestled the gun off him and shot himself later
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boab34 wrote: »
    Jane could always say that McAllister wrestled the gun off him and shot himself later
    But then an autopsy should show that it was asphyxiation/strangulation and not the gunshot that killed McAllister. Again, Jane's fingerprints will be on McAllister's neck.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But then an autopsy should show that it was asphyxiation/strangulation and not the gunshot that killed McAllister. Again, Jane's fingerprints will be on McAllister's neck.

so? PJ was acquitted of shooting an unarmed Timothy Carter in full view of witnesses at a shopping mall by claiming he was RJ
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What reason could McAllister have had for saving Jane from the church roof?

He had him in a situation not unlike the church in the graveyard, and far more to Jane's disadvantage. If he was planning to simply kill Jane, he could simply have told him and then stamped on his hands to send him plummeting off the roof. With no witnesses around, he could simply have then claimed that Jane fell to his death.

I didn't have a problem with McAllister being Red John, and in fact I liked the fact that the programme had come full circle, with McAllister being in the very first episode. I just thought that the last few episodes were poorly done, and that there was much more tension in earlier season finales.
  • Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now rj is dead can the show go on since thats the sole reason for jane joining CBI?
  • Callum CollumCallum Collum Posts: 4,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt35 wrote: »
    Now rj is dead can the show go on since thats the sole reason for jane joining CBI?

I'm going to put this comment as a spoiler (though it's very general and some might say they could have guessed it anyway). Nonetheless it is a spoiler so don't look if there's any risk at all it will spoil things for you:
    There are other things the characters can do. There will be big changes.

I could go into more detail but I dare say folk can find out if they really want to.
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,672
    Forum Member
    The Mentalist returns to Channel 5 on Tuesday 25th February with Ep9 "My Blue Heaven."

:cool:
  • natalie77natalie77 Posts: 2,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    The Mentalist returns to Channel 5 on Tuesday 25th February with Ep9 "My Blue Heaven."

:cool:

Thanks for that news I'm glad it's finally back I can't wait to see how the show progresses now after the Red John storyline has finished :D
  • Stone FreeStone Free Posts: 1,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    natalie77 wrote: »
    Thanks for that news I'm glad it's finally back I can't wait to see how the show progresses now after the Red John storyline has finished :D
    I'm confused, what happened to episodes 1-8? I can't remember it coming back after the Red John finale:o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stone Free wrote: »
    I'm confused, what happened to episodes 1-8? I can't remember it coming back after the Red John finale:o

You've confused me when you say Red John finale do you mean the end of his storyline cos if you do that was s6 episode 8 :confused: episodes 1-8 of season 6 aired last year on channel 5!
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just bumping to remind everyone it's back this Tuesday :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yep I was stupidly excited to put this back onto my planner last night I can't wait to see how the show develops now after the RJ storyline has finished :D
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    natalie77 wrote: »
    Yep I was stupidly excited to put this back onto my planner last night I can't wait to see how the show develops now after the RJ storyline has finished :D

I'm actually a couple of episodes ahead (only two I think) as I had a bit of a marathon after the RJ story was wrapped up as I wanted to see how "Mentalist 2.0" looked so i'll certainly be interested to see what people think.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thank ya! I know I would have missed this otherwise.
  • TidleeTidlee Posts: 3,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For anyone who hasn't seen Channel 5's "Season 6 continues" trailer:
    http://www.channel5.com/shows/the-mentalist/clips/season-6-continues-trailer
    and "My Blue Heaven" preview clip:
    http://www.channel5.com/shows/the-mentalist/clips/season-6-episode-9-preview
  • HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tidlee wrote: »
    For anyone who hasn't seen Channel 5's "Season 6 continues" trailer:
    http://www.channel5.com/shows/the-mentalist/clips/season-6-continues-trailer
    and "My Blue Heaven" preview clip:
    http://www.channel5.com/shows/the-mentalist/clips/season-6-episode-9-preview

Thank you. :)
  • Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank ya! I know I would have missed this otherwise.
    I wouldn't worry. There's always plenty of opportunity to catch up on CH5+1, CH5+24, 5USA and 5USA+1. :D
  • StigidStigid Posts: 2,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Series #6 Episode #9

Fantastic Episode tonight...

Simon Baker Directed the episode.

Welcome back Jane.

Kim, I sussed she was FBI as soon as I saw her, Agent Fischer ( Emily Swallow ) will no doubt be Patricks' Love Interest.

I wonder if Patrick also sussed her as an FBI Agent ?

I'd love to know where the Paradise Island location was.

Patrick really was "Kick Ass" great tonight, literally.

And... the old team will be back too !!

But only for a short while.

Pity they telegraphed this in the opening credits.

Also available on Demand 5
    http://www.channel5.com/shows/the-mentalist/episodes/my-blue-heaven

Matt Gossen, Assistant to Simon Baker,
    played Lisbon's awkward front office assistant.