At last. There's too much doom and gloom around here
  • AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lovely story.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It brought a tear to my glass eyes yesterday. Delightful and delighted for her and all the others this makes such a difference to.
  • Bus Stop2012Bus Stop2012 Posts: 5,624
    Forum Member
    Wonderful stuff.
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great stuff, had me welling up :blush:
  • Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It brought a tear to my glass eyes yesterday. Delightful and delighted for her and all the others this makes such a difference to.

Same here, but I only saw it at lunch time today on the news.
    She will need to hear as much as possible as she is losing her sight now due to her medical condition.
    The wonders of medical procedures...
  • rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm gonna be that guy who asks how she had any understanding of the words being said to her and was able to talk back

I don't have much knowledge of people that are deaf from birth so don't shoot me down
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm gonna be that guy who asks how she had any understanding of the words being said to her and was able to talk back

I don't have much knowledge of people that are deaf from birth so don't shoot me down

Valid question as I thought the same myself.
    I know she lip reads.
    I thought her speech was great for a deaf person.
    I would love to know how deaf people can speak so well, anyone on here know please?
  • naquadanaquada Posts: 1,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm sure she would have been reading lips at the same time.

I remember watching Tomorrows world when Cochlear Implants were first coming in, There was a young boy who had been fitted with them. Too young to understand what a cochlear implant was, but when the turned it on & started to test it his face was a picture. It was only tones they were playing, not someone voice, but his head shot up with a look of wonder, then a huge grin. very, very touching. Must have been an amazing moment for his parents.
  • 1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Valid question as I thought the same myself.
    I know she lip reads.
    I thought her speech was great for a deaf person.
    I would love to know how deaf people can speak so well, anyone on here know please?

I remember reading about Helen Keller, who was born deaf and blind, but she was taught to speak by a marvellous teacher, through the method of touching the teacher's mouth and throat as she spoke, to find out how the words were formed. I don't know if that method is still used today.
  • swansea steveswansea steve Posts: 1,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this is great. I'm pleased that awareness of cochlear implants is raised by articles like this. I am blind myself and also had a progressive hearing loss. I received a cochlear implant last September and to say it is life changing would be an understatement! I recently had a second one in my other ear. I've written a few thought about the process on a blog if anyone is interested in reading it.
    http://deafblindblog.wordpress.com/
  • agrainofsandagrainofsand Posts: 8,693
    Forum Member
    Yes...that is a lovely story...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this is great. I'm pleased that awareness of cochlear implants is raised by articles like this. I am blind myself and also had a progressive hearing loss. I received a cochlear implant last September and to say it is life changing would be an understatement! I recently had a second one in my other ear. I've written a few thought about the process on a blog if anyone is interested in reading it.

Hi Steven.
    Thanks for linking your blog on here, I liked your wifes guest blog as well.
    I have to ask though, how do you read forums and such like please?
  • imrightokimrightok Posts: 8,492
    Forum Member

How you read the stuff posted on ds? Is software that with voice simulation?

Edit: whoops I was slowing in replying and didn't see the above post.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I was mostly surprised by her accent or even having one.