Doctor already secretly cast? (Tweets)

13»

Comments

• saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of all the traits we don't need to see in a doctor i would think 'self satisfied, 'slimy' and 'planet sized levels of smugness' are quite near the top so its a no from me for Mr Mangan.
  • GilaGoraGilaGora Posts: 1,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not for me, Mangan is far too hammy. It would be a huge step down from the wonderfully nuanced Smith.
  • TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still can't see why this is debated.

Because this was your argument:
    Deserana wrote:
    Cue all the "I don't want him" the exact same response we got for Tennant and Smith...

This has happened a lot recently. Ledger in The Dark Knight, Anne Hathaway in The Dark Knight Rises, heck even Cumberbatch was a little slated in Star Trek and they all proved the majority of there critics wrong.
    Deserana wrote:
    I don't see how this can be debated. It is fact.

And it then suddenly mutated into:
    Deserana wrote:
    And your second point missed what I said completely. How would saying that be wrong? It's an opinion.

So this is like when people said they didn't want Ledger, but it's a fact that the majority of them were all proved wrong. However, saying they didn't want him couldn't be wrong because it's just an opinion?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rumors down here which often sneak out of BBC Wales is there is a British actor called Peter Stray being lined up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 262
    Forum Member
    Rumors down here which often sneak out of BBC Wales is there is a British actor called Peter Stray being lined up.

Never heard of him, so I had a look on IMDB. In terms of type, he's hardly the game changing departure that some are hoping for.

White and male - though that's probably for the best. A female Doctor created and written by Moffat would be hideous. Going by his writing, he's definitely not in touch with his feminine side.
  • TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone we've never heard of is probably the best choice all around though, isn't it? The net effects would likely be limited viewer preconceptions and a smaller paycheque draw on the budget.
  • Paradise_LostParadise_Lost Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member

Just watched his reel on Vimeo. Really hard to imagine. Definitely not getting a Doctorish vibe.
  • SamsterSamster Posts: 382
    Forum Member

Never heard of him and he looks even younger than MS - not that's a bad thing just saying.

The point is, whoever is cast, you just can't presume anything. When I first heard it was MS taking over and saw some of his first pre-Dr Who interviews and saw some odd clips of him with Billie Piper and a few other random parts, I thought he was going to be awful and yet he turned into one of my favourite Dr's ever.

We'll just have to trust the Moff to get it right again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TEDR wrote: »
    Someone we've never heard of is probably the best choice all around though, isn't it? The net effects would likely be limited viewer preconceptions and a smaller paycheque draw on the budget.

Yeah seems to be something they like to do, as they come with little preconceptions as to what they will be like.
  • JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    God no an awful excuse for an actor, and he is not attractive to females as my colleague just remarked so that should rule him out.

If they'd always used that criterion for choosing the actor to play the Doctor, we'd never have got Hartnell, Troughton or McCoy - three of the greats.

If Mr. Mangan is not very attractive to females then that's one very good reason for choosing him. No more pretty boys!
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Looks vaguely familiar now that I have googled him.
    Or because he looks like a cross between John Barrowman and Jason Manford.:eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watched his reel on Vimeo. Really hard to imagine. Definitely not getting a Doctorish vibe.

Thanks for that website, just googled it. Is hard to tell from past parts I guess, but looks a good choice as he could take it in any way hey/they wanted without the weight a 'big' name would bring.
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Mr. Mangan is not very attractive to females then that's one very good reason for choosing him. No more pretty boys!

The only qualifying attributes that Stephen Mangham has is curly hair and big teeth.
    He wouldn't be the worst choice, but there are plenty of others I would rather see first.
  • Halloween JackHalloween Jack Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    Methinks Mr Mangan is pulling a leg or two...
    Can’t wait to start work as the new Doctor on Thursday.
    I see I’m 14/1 to be the new Doctor. Don’t waste your money.
  • Dr. LinusDr. Linus Posts: 6,445
    Forum Member

I'm happy to take that as confirmation that he's not doing it.

Would have been a ridiculous choice anyway.
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I guess that just confirms it:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPJF1A0DT2s
  • GilaGoraGilaGora Posts: 1,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I found him: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Yf8YivaKik

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=NdK2iq6fYJs&NR=1

Interesting... definitely some potential there.
  • Paradise_LostParadise_Lost Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    GilaGora wrote: »

He seems fine as an actor in those bits. But I'm not seeing the commanding presence I envision for the Doctor. He needs to be more than just quirky. Not that I think we should evaluate his potential just from these reel packages. But when I watch those reels he starts conjuring up images of McCoy for me rather than the more arresting presence of any of the recent NuWho versions which would certainly not be my preference .

Ben Daniels has been rumoured by some reputable sources. This video was posted by Gillray in another thread. http://youtu.be/ihqKJ02X-Z0

He is very commanding and charismatic and I can see him in the role. However, despite the sources I do wonder if Ben Daniels may just be playing a part in the Christmas Special rather than the next Doctor.
  • codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    He probably would rather be typecast as The Doctor than have all those people coming up to him yelling "DAN....DAN....DAN...DAN...DAN...DAAAAAAAAAAN!" as he gets atm :D
  • ButterfaceButterface Posts: 2,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only qualifying attributes that Stephen Mangham has is curly hair and big teeth.
    He wouldn't be the worst choice, but there are plenty of others I would rather see first.

He looks like the donkey from Shrek.