Kindle. Has anybody got one?

Comments

• johnnybgoode83johnnybgoode83 Posts: 8,908
    Forum Member
    I have one and it has very much rekindled (pun not intended) my love of reading which I had sadly lost for a few years. I am now reading a lot more than I had been and taking more of an interest in new books.
  • ee-ayee-ay Posts: 3,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jarryhack wrote: »
    I love my Kindle and have read more than ever because of it. I don't think I will read a physical book again. I didn't bother buying a cover as I like that I can hold it and turn the page with one hand! I made a padded pouch for it from a rather large pencil case!

I have 2 covers, one is an expensive leather one, however the cheap one I bought for £5.99 from ebay is better, you can fold the front cover back and secure with a press stud and you have a place to slip your hand while still able to access buttons with your thumb, it makes holding the kindle much more secure.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had my Kindle (wifi keyboard) just over a year and it's hands down my most favourite thing.

It's so easy to get comfy whilst reading in bed, easy to browse amazon and choose what I want to read next, and I've also got the 'official' leather case with the light which although is ridiculously expensive at £50, is way better than the cheap case/light combo's I tried before I got the proper one.

I've got the Kindle app on my iPod and Android Tablet and it's handy for when I'm sitting in the car waiting for my son to come out of school, I can read a quick chapter on one of my other devices inbetween a game of Angry Birds. :D I did spend a couple of hours reading on my Tablet but my eyes just couldn't cope with it for that long, being back lit, so goes to show just how good the e-ink on the Kindle is.
  • TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    Pinkvelvet wrote: »
    I got mine a few months ago, and it has become one of my most treasured belongings. I absolutely love it, it's so convenient. The only drawback is that I sometimes forget the title of what I'm reading, as I don't have the visual stimulus of the actual book to remind me, even when I'm not thinking about it. PLus the free books you can get are pretty good. I think I've saved more money by not buying books in the last couple of months to pay for the kindle.

i agree apart from i have probably spent more on books as am reading faster and finding so many new authors and starting so many new series that my reading pile is so vast i never know which book to read next...its kind of awesome yet horrid

i have several paperbacks in my to read pile but my heart prefers my kindle now and i hate picking up actual books to read and i was a firm kindle hater book lover
  • johnnybgoode83johnnybgoode83 Posts: 8,908
    Forum Member
    I have so many books lined up to read - Bram Stoker's Dracula, Catch 22, Deja Dead, The Shining, Misery, a load of Dickens, the LOTR books. I shall have plenty to do for a while :D
  • hammerfanhammerfan Posts: 1,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got my Kindle touch at Easter after dropping lots of non-too subtle hints that I really wanted one! :) I love it, I love the "try before you buy" on the books and also the amount of free ones that are up on Amazon.

When I got my Kindle I was also bought the cover with the light (that only comes on when the Kindle is on - I thought I'd broken it!), although I had no idea it was so expensive!

It doesn't mean I'll never read another physical book, it just means I can be a bit more selective over what I buy.
  • susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got two Kindles and an iPad. The iPad is great for books with lots of illustrations, as it does colour, but it's awkward to read, heavy to carry around, and you can't use it in bright sunlight.

Since I got my first Kindle, about 2 years ago, I've rediscovered reading. I used to get through about three books a week as a child, I'd be up at the library every other day! The main thing for me was space - I could afford the books, I just didn't have anywhere to keep them! So the Kindle is the ideal answer for me, and I read all the time, hence the two Kindles!

Regarding the Kindle Touch, if I was buying one now, I'd probably get it, but it's never bothered me. You end up with marmalade all over the screen anyway! One of my Kindles is the keyboard model, and I do like that one better.

I like to read new books as they come out, and I actually find the Kindle prices are pretty good. I'll browse in Waterstons with my iPhone and if I find anything I like, I just order it up then for the Kindle, and it's always cheaper than the hard copy.

I did have a fancy leather cover for my Kindle, but I found it increased the weight too much. I now use a rather nice padded sleeve that I got from a crafts company, and that does the job while looking attractive and "friendly".
  • susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TWS wrote: »
    i agree apart from i have probably spent more on books as am reading faster and finding so many new authors and starting so many new series that my reading pile is so vast i never know which book to read next...its kind of awesome yet horrid

Does anyone find that you almost sort of resent finishing a book that you've been looking forward to reading? I'm terrified that one day I'll finish them all! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 446
    Forum Member
    susie-4964 wrote: »
    Does anyone find that you almost sort of resent finishing a book that you've been looking forward to reading? I'm terrified that one day I'll finish them all! :D

I bought a dozen in the 99p sale, at the rate I read, it will take a while to finish all those !!
  • Bendy WendyBendy Wendy Posts: 1,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moza wrote: »
    I've got a Sony eReader, in preference to a Kindle, and love it. Would recommend that, or a Nook when they're available over here, over a Kindle any day!

I bought a Sony eReader yesterday. Can you recommend any good sites for free/cheap ebooks? So far I'm browsing on my iphone and then trying to find copies elsewhere.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bought a Sony eReader yesterday. Can you recommend any good sites for free/cheap ebooks? So far I'm browsing on my iphone and then trying to find copies elsewhere.

Torrents :D
  • Bendy WendyBendy Wendy Posts: 1,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    Torrents :D

:confused:
  • BogzBogz Posts: 1,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have the kindle app on my phone, it's ok but until the price comes down on kindle books, I think I will stay with buying books from charity shops.

They charge too much for e books, especially when I can get the same book cheaper else where.
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kindle text to speech is great. i often fall asleep with that. although it does run down battery.

..... big problem with all ereaders is portability. u can have several dozen books all partly read and very difficult to finish any of them ......
  • Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member
    spiney2 wrote: »
    kindle text to speech is great. i often fall asleep with that. although it does run down battery.

..... big problem with all ereaders is portability. u can have several dozen books all partly read and very difficult to finish any of them ......

whats that?
  • NasalhairNasalhair Posts: 2,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whats that?

Where the Kindle will read to you in a really bad robotic voice. It converts the text into speech.
  • summerbunnysummerbunny Posts: 2,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    no i'd never get a kindle waste of money , i love the feel and smell of new books, a kindle wont give me that, and i dont read on the go, if i'm in someone's house or on a hoilday the last thing i do is pick up a book, no i read in bed lol.
    i can see how they can be usefull to some people, i think it would hurt my eyes to stare at a kindle, it does when i;m on the laptop or iphone.
    so no books all the way for me.. plus David icke's new book that i'm reading right now has some fantastic art work in it.
    Also Kindle books arn't much cheaper at all, after i have read a good book i like to pass it on for someone else to enjoy then i get it back, again you cant do that with a kindle
  • PhoenixRisesPhoenixRises Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    no i'd never get a kindle waste of money , i love the feel and smell of new books, a kindle wont give me that, and i dont read on the go, if i'm in someone's house or on a hoilday the last thing i do is pick up a book, no i read in bed lol.
    i can see how they can be usefull to some people, i think it would hurt my eyes to stare at a kindle, it does when i;m on the laptop or iphone.
    so no books all the way for me.. plus David icke's new book that i'm reading right now has some fantastic art work in it.
    Also Kindle books arn't much cheaper at all, after i have read a good book i like to pass it on for someone else to enjoy then i get it back, again you cant do that with a kindle

This pops up with every kindle thread, but kindle screens are nothing like laptop or iPhone screens, they are created to replicate the page of a book and they do it well, so unless reading a book hurts your eyes you are unlikely to find a kindle hurts your eyes.

Also I would say I was a "book sniffer" as seems to be the general term, and didn't believe I could get used to not being able to smell new books and the feel of turning the pages, but in all honesty I don't miss it at all, in fact I realised that most new books are mass produced and smell the same as every other book and it really isn't that special.

But we would have a boring world if we all loved the same things so I can't argue with your reasons for not having one but for me personally it is money well spent and not a waste of money one bit :)

I would say I can't wait for colour eInk though :)
  • David WaineDavid Waine Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's swings and roundabouts. Obviously the iPad is a more capable beast because it is really a mini computer, rather than an ebook reader. If you use it heavily, however, you will probably have to recharge it every day or two, whereas a Kindle will last a month on one charge. Furthermore, try sitting in your back garden on a brilliantly sunny Sunday afternoon and reading a book on your iPad. No problem for a Kindle, which costs a lot less as well.
  • latinlouloulatinloulou Posts: 3,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whilst I haven't used my Kindle as much as I thought I would, I don't for one second regret getting it, and I know that it is going to be well worth it when we go on holiday - last year I took 6 books and as well as taking up space and weight in the case, I read them before the holiday was over, having the Kindle I'll be able to down load more in seconds.

There is one problem = I bought a case for it, a nice purple one because it matched my purse and handbag :o was out doing some shopping, got to the check out reached into my handbag . . . . I'm sure you can guess the rest - very embarrassed at the check out - and I always double check before I go out now
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    I have the Kindle Keyboard. It is wonderful!

I would definitely recommend it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No it wouldn't. The whole point of an eink display is that it looks exactly like paper. It really does. There's no glare, no backlight, no flicker. And being able to increase the font size is great. It reduces your eye strain and means you can read for longer.
    And by the by, a lot of Kindle books are completely free. Eliot, Joyce, Woolf, Orwell, Wells, Hardy, Gissing. Anything where the author died more than 50 or 70 years ago. I've had my Kindle for a month or so, and I haven't bought a single book for it. I just keep reading the free ones.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm going to recommend a legitimate site for free books
    http://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/
  • SalbatesSalbates Posts: 2,259
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't have a Kindle, but I do have a HTC Flyer (7inch) and I Love it. It's small enough for me to carry about (which my iPad wasn't) and it does loads of things other than allow me to read books.

The down side is it's not very good in bright sunlight, but as I still read 'real' books and often have two or three books on the go, I don't find this a problem.
  • David_QuintonDavid_Quinton Posts: 92
    Forum Member
    I have a Kindle Touch. i upgraded from the Kindle Keyboard earlier this year. I have had a Kindle nearly 2 years. I haven't read a physical book since. I changed to a Kindle mainly because of the weight issue, the Kindle being light and easier to handle than heavy hardbacks of fat fantasy tomes. It's the best choice I ever made. I don't think I'll ever go back to physical books - apart from January 2013 when the A Memory of Light comes out - it's wonderful to be able to carry out a library of books everywhere I go, and to be able to sit down and read where I choose.