Doctor Who Live: The Next Doctor (Discussion) - 4/08/13 - 7pm - BBC One

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 312
    Forum Member
    Well, they probably don't care too much how rubbish or otherwise the show is, because they know everyone will tune in anyway to see the new Doctor revealed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    "BBC One is the home of big live events"

So they've had the Royal stuff & Olympics (non Para) and Wimbledon.......2 out of three will maybe not happen again for many years/decades and they can state that......

Oh How i Laughed!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    Btw BBC Breakfast keep saying, "Will be announced in a HEAVILY TRAILED programme"......the ONLY trailer i've seen is the one they keep showing!!!

Maybe heavily mentioned, but trailed seriously?
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    styeffo wrote: »
    "BBC One is the home of big live events"

So they've had the Royal stuff & Olympics (non Para) and Wimbledon.......2 out of three will maybe not happen again for many years/decades and they can state that......

Oh How i Laughed!

BBC One has been around for a bit longer than 12 months.
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,577
    Forum Member
    allen_who wrote: »
    isn't the next doctor David Morrissey? look http://merchandise.thedoctorwhosite.co.uk/the-next-doctor/

Wouldnt it be wonderful if the JL persona was actually the implanted memory? after all, remember how he reacted to the TARDIS interior.

It wont happen this time though, DM is too busy running around Atlanta at the moment.
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am a bit nervous about this programme. I wonder about the wisdom of having the new bloke appear live in front of an audience. Have they considered the possibility of blank stares or outright groans of disappointment and dislike?

I'd like to say the BBC know what they're doing, but when it comes to DW, I'm afraid they absolutely don't, and the odds are they will get it drastically wrong.

Perhaps I'm too pessimistic?

Another thing is - how many people actually know the programme is on tonight? Everyone I've mentioned it to had no idea there was a special programme revealing the new Doctor. I only know because I read it on here, I haven't seen any trailers. They've apparently kept it too secret.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You would have thought they would have allowed the TV mags this weekend to have ditched the Celebrity Mastermind listing in advance.
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am a bit nervous about this programme. I wonder about the wisdom of having the new bloke appear live in front of an audience. Have they considered the possibility of blank stares or outright groans of disappointment and dislike?

I'd like to say the BBC know what they're doing, but when it comes to DW, I'm afraid they absolutely don't, and the odds are they will get it drastically wrong.

Another thing is - how many people actually know the programme is on tonight? Everyone I've mentioned it to had no idea there was a special programme revealing the new Doctor. I only know because I read it on here, I haven't seen any trailers. They've apparently kept it too secret.

I saw one trailer before Casualty yesterday so people who watched Casualty might tune in. :)

As for blank stares or groans, I doubt that would happen. I imagine the BBC employ someone to sit in the audience and start the clapping when they are required to- so all the forced clapping will drown out the groans and any whinging that may have otherwise been audible.
  • LowriLowri Posts: 3,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I thought it had been kept quiet on the internet but when I told my parents about it (who don't go on the internet), they said they had seen tv trailers and heard about it on BBC local radio.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Main page on the BBC website, trailers on BBC radio and TV. What more could they do?

Social media will take care of most of it. Twitter and Facebook are full of it.
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Apparently there has been a specially filmed mini episode where the reveal will take place. Once that has been aired and the audience have got over the surprise the actor/actress will be introduced onto the programme via satellite or otherwise.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lowri wrote: »
    I thought it had been kept quiet on the internet but when I told my parents about it (who don't go on the internet), they said they had seen tv trailers and heard about it on BBC local radio.
    Main page on the BBC website, trailers on BBC radio and TV. What more could they do?

Social media will take care of most of it. Twitter and Facebook are full of it.

OK, it's just me and my friends who haven't seen any announcements of the programme, then. :D
  • owlycherriesowlycherries Posts: 2,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You have just said exactly what I've been thinking these last few days. :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    Ha so we're criticising the advertising for a programme we all know is happening and criticising its content despite not knowing its content... Some people really don't like the BBC eh.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

"It is a truth universally acknowledged that every Whovian in possession of a negative opinion must be in want of a keyboard" ;)

I don't think anyone will dare boo at the show. Gasp, perhaps, but the atmosphere will remain mostly positive. This is TV after all. :)
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    Apparently there has been a specially filmed mini episode where the reveal will take place. Once that has been aired and the audience have got over the surprise the actor/actress will be introduced onto the programme via satellite or otherwise.

How come you by this information may I ask?

It does seem a bit odd, the new Doctor introduced before we see the old one regenerate.

Surely that cannot be the plan?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ha so we're criticising the advertising for a programme we all know is happening and criticising its content despite not knowing its content... Some people really don't like the BBC eh.

I don't know about "we". I think it's just me. :)

As I said, the only way I know about the programme is through this forum. If I didn't post on here, or hadn't been on here recently, I wouldn't know.

I am very negative about the BBC in regard to DW, certainly. I know some people are fine with the way the BBC handle all things related to DW, but I just don't see how they can be.

I'm not anti-BBC per se. :)
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    How come you by this information may I ask?

It does seem a bit odd, the new Doctor introduced before we see the old one regenerate.

Surely that cannot be the plan?

Through discussion on here the last few days. it does make sense though. It would certainly prevent booing from the audience! Can you imagine the reaction if it was "And now, I have pleasure in introducing the brand new Doctor, please welcome the one and only Lacey Turner!" And the audience are so angry they boo and jeer. That wouldn't be very nice. It might not be an episode as such, more a prerecorded segment that contains the reveal within it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "It is a truth universally acknowledged that every Whovian in possession of a negative opinion must be in want of a keyboard" ;)

I don't think anyone will dare boo at the show. Gasp, perhaps, but the atmosphere will remain mostly positive. This is TV after all. :)

It's also a universal truth that posters will reply to a point never made in the post they quote.

I never mentioned booing. I said blank stares, as at a complete unknown, or groans, as at someone totally unsuitable.
  • farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Peter Capaldi would be great, just a pity he can't swear like a trooper due to the shows timeslot. Imagine a tucker-esque Doc Who. What a hoot it would be
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I love the BBC but I am nervous about this programme, for several reasons.

Firstly, if they pick an actor I don't like, it could ruin the programme for me (although before you all jump on me, I intend to give whoever it is several episodes before I decide their fate)

Secondly, I am easily embarrassed and that includes on behalf of other people. If the new actor goes down like a lead balloon live on TV, it will be unbearable to watch!
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,577
    Forum Member
    Well anyone less than Capaldi will seem disappointing, in a way I wish his name hadn't come up in the betting.

I wonder if the programme will be previously recorded ? If live and there are gasps and boos, it could really backfire.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    Well anyone less than Capaldi will seem disappointing, in a way I wish his name hadn't come up in the betting.

I wonder if the programme will be previously recorded ? If live and there are gasps and boos, it could really backfire.

By all accounts it's live. If you think about the type of audience they've got, I hope there won't be a big negative reaction. Most people there will be completely mad on the show so just to be in the same room as Moffat and Matt will get them all hyped up so that they'd cheer anything! At the Proms we cheered at every tiny video clip or monster that appeared in the hall whether they warranted it or not (and yes, the unecessary cheers were annoying when they drowned out the music).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Robert Carlyle in London? Can he pop on over to Elstree and finish what he started in 2009?